Own gear or hire?

hobgob

Hi everyone

We are going to the carribean in Jan 2010 and I just wondered if it was worth taking our own masks./snorkels and fins or just going on organised trips as I guess they provide equipment?

As we are travelling from europe ,probably with limited luggage allowance,not sure whats best?

We are doing the ultimate carribean trip on celebrity equinox.

Anyone been on any of the snorkel trips advertised ?we go to Grand Cayman ,Cozumel,Port Limon,Panama etc..

In that case, I'd still bring my own mask and snorkel but either use the fins provided by any excursion or just rent fins there. Mask fit is important and I personally wouldn't care to share something that I put in my mouth, like a snorkel or toothbrush, with a stranger.

In that case, I'd still bring my own mask and snorkel but either use the fins provided by any excursion or just rent fins there. Mask fit is important and I personally wouldn't care to share something that I put in my mouth, like a snorkel or toothbrush, with a stranger.

As I was checking out some excursions a few months ago, I noticed a few boats included a new, packaged snorkel in their excursion price. You could keep it or throw it away after you're done.

BUT, I don't remember who was doing that. Something to ask before you book, I suppose.

Hi everyone

We are going to the carribean in Jan 2010 and I just wondered if it was worth taking our own masks./snorkels and fins or just going on organised trips as I guess they provide equipment?

As we are travelling from europe ,probably with limited luggage allowance,not sure whats best?

Anyone been on any of the snorkel trips advertised ?we go to Grand Cayman ,Cozumel,Port Limon,Panama etc..

I always bring my mask and snorkel in my carry on piece. The mask fit is important and the snorkel is no bother to bring. I try to fit the fins in my luggage whenever possible.

I'd say definitely bring our own mask, snorkle, and fins. They make these new short fins now which are good enough for snorkling, but take up a lot less space than regular fins.

If you have to rent fins everywhere, you will have to wait in line at the facility or on the ship to get them and return them. You also have to worry about losing them and getting them back in time. The quality and fit can be an issue as well.

Hi everyone

GC and Coz both have first rate snorkeling. There are a number of excellent independent snorkel trips on offer.

You can book independent snorkel trips with confidence at both these ports. They have vast experience with cruise ship passengers.

I would have complete trust in the sanitation of the two I suggest using. However, if your mask/snorkel don't take up too much of your allowance, bring them along and use the boat's fins.

In GC:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Be sure to book the"full Day" excursion.

Another popular, but I haven't personal experience:

http://www.cayman.org/captainbryan/

If you prefer, there is very good shore snorkeling within a short walking distance of the tender docks. They have rental lockers and equipment.:

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

In Coz, I use Eagle Ray. For the best off shore snorkel reefs, book the "Three Reef" trip. The shorter two reef trip only goes to the near shore reefs.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

Manta Ray is popular, too,:

http://www.xaac.com/mantaray/id20.htm

Here's a good guide for Cozumel:

http://cozumelinsider.com/

we bring our own mask and snorkel. We are considering bringing our own fins because we are snorkeling on our own and not on an excursion.

One of the major advantages of having your own mask is if you wear glasses or contacts, you buy masks with your prescription.

Where do you purchase your snorkel mask by perscription? Thanks.

went to a local dive shop with the prescription. They first fit you for the mask. If I remember correctly, you pick up the mask about a week later when it comes in.

The other option that you have for prescription lenses is to use a mask like the Tusa Liberator. These masks allow you to exchange the glass lenses for separate lenses with different prescriptions while you are in the store.

Unless you have an unusual prescription or spacing between your pupils, they should be good enough for normal use. If your prescription changes, you just put in new lenses. I have 2 sets of Tusa Liberators and 1 regular mask with lenses. When I scuba dive, I use the Liberators.

• 3 weeks later...
For snorkeling gear, we don't want to spend a ton, but after a while renting adds up. Where do you suggest purchasing gear? How about for kids?

Thank you.

We have had very good luck with snorkelmart.com. They have package deals for adults and kids. we need the prescription goggles and have used the masks from them with very good luck. Also having your own gear frees you up to go snorkeling on your own from beaches and eliminate the price of a tour. We do that all through the islands with good luck. You have to do some research first to find out where the spots are but it is well worth it.

Archived