Magens Bay & Coki Beach

theresa1014

We have a large family group cruising on the Dawn in April. We would like to snorkel and also visist Magens Bay. I have narrowed it down to Coki or Shapphire Beach and then over to Magens Bay. Would this be doable with our ship in port from 9 - 6. I've read about traffic and wasn't sure if we should stick to one beach, or do both. Any advice on which one to snorkel at? I was thinking snorkel first and then relax at Magens. Thanks for the help!

Coki is a nice beach. However the area it is in looks a little rugged. I have heard the snorkelling is great. I went scuba diving and thought it was pretty good. I am thinking of trying sapphire beach coming up in june. I have heard both sapphire and coki have good snorkelling. However, I have also heard that sapphire is hit or miss depending on the weather.

We just came back from Coki Beach and I have been to Maegans Bay. Coki is very, very crowded and not as big and Maegan's Bay. However, I believe the snorkeling was better here. I did like Maegan's Bay slightly more and that would be because the beach was larger, less rocky and less crowded. There were more pushy locals on Coki too. Don't misunderstand me though, Coki was a nice beach, Maegan's Bay is just my personal preference.

We are thinking of hitting all the beaches. We port @ 7am and most excusions don't start until 9. I want to make the most of our time but it sounds like taxi's are a little pricey. Is there a bus or ferry that is cheaper. I am trying to decide wether it would better to go with Sunny instead of on our own. Any suggestions? Decisions, decisions:D

theresa - Yes you could do Coki or Sapphire and Magens in a day. Lot's of beach time... wear lots of sunblock. ;)

luvmysox1 - if you want to try and beach hop your best bet is either a private taxi that can plan the day around the beaches you want to stop at or rent a car. Aside from the ferry from downtown to Mariott (where Morningstar is located) there are no ferries for getting to beaches. Public transportation passes by some beach entrances.

--Islander

Archived