Any single parent cruisers??

SDJen

Hi everyone. I am wondering if there are any single parents out there that have cruised that may have some advice or tips? I am seriously considering taking my daughter on a cruise when she turns 5 (in the spring before she starts kindergarten). I am wondering if there will be enough on the ship to keep me entertained if she does not want to leave the kids club? I am fine with a lot of alone time but would probably want to meet some other singles or at least other adults to hang out with.

Has anyone ever done a cruise like this? Did you enjoy it and not feel out of place?

Thanks in advance!

Theres plenty of things onboard, that you can do with your daughter, or alone, if she stays in a club.Theres movies, shoppping, games and all sorts of entertainment. One of the best things I can suggest, is to pick up a book on the DCL, as it can tell more in depth whats available.

I have done a cruise with my son whom at the time, was only 4 or 5, on a different line, by myself, and never had any real issues with feeling out of place. When you look at the big picture, and you see someone walking by themselves or with a child, how can you really tell who is bythemselves, and who is traveling with someone else?

I personally did not feel out of place. Although my son was nicknamed the "boy with the whale" Long story.

As far as tips, one of the best things I have seen, is to bring a small video game console or dvd player, so that while you are trying to eat, it will keep them occupied. Usually when Disney places you at a table for dinner, they will try and match you up with a similar family.

I'm a single parent and although I've never been on DCL with my dd,7, (4/12 will be our first) we have been to WDW every year for the last 4 years. Its always been just the 2 of us. I don't think there will be a shortage of things for you to do. I looked at Navigators from prior sailings and they always have adult only entertainment throughout the day.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone! It has reassured me that it will be a fantastic trip for us both. I will make sure to join the roll call once I have booked the trip - i did that for my one and only cruise (so far) a couple of months ago and it was great!

Happy cruising !!

I, too, am a single parent and have been sailing with DD since she was 8. I have never :( been able to go to the Singles Mingles on the other cruise lines because they either happened at very odd times (midnight at the Disco or 5pm when the daycare was closed), but that's ok since I am shy to begin with. I wish that the cruiselines would issue colored wristbands for single adults who want to meet other singles :)....

Anyhow, on Costa we have had really good luck with Maitre d's sitting us at dinner with other parents sailing solo with children (who have been both single parents as well as parents whose spouse couldn't take the time off from work.) They have always worked out lovely. Looking forward to it again soon!

Although I am not single I travel several times a year with just my kids. Our first was a Disney Cruise in March 07. They loved the kids club (9 and 11 at the time.) I agree with the poster who said to bring something to entertain them at dinner. Dinner can be long. They sat us at a table with other moms traveling with their kids.

I just got back from a trip on the Magic with my 2 daughters. My 8 years olded loved the kids club and never wanted to leave and my 6 year, only went for a couple of hours, but she had a great time also. I never got any alone time but that was fine with me, we all had an amazing time.

The staff were fanatasic and they really know how to make kids feel special.

I did a trip report if you are interested.

http://magictrip0314.blogspot.com/

• 1 year later...

SDJen -

I am a first time cruiser and a single mom so when I return from our DL cruise (Mar 19-26) I will let you know what I find out. I have heard nothing but positive things about all of the activities that are available on the ship, so I am excited. I know I will be alone a lot since my daughter is 13 and very excited about the fact that she can go to the Teen Area which is a no parent zone.

Wish me luck!

GS4ever

The first time my son and I cruised alone without extended family was on the Disney Wonder, 3 nights, and we had a blast. The singles meet was rather nonexistant, but I've read that it is more popular on the longer cruises for Disney. My son chose the activities he wanted to attend, and I would hang out at the adult pool, or at the clubs, or at some other activity. It was very relaxing, and we still spent much of the time together. Castaway Cay is such a great beach day, we loved hanging out there together all day.

One thing I will always remember - we had come in from Castaway Cay during the afternoon and gotten cleaned up, but still had a couple hours before dinner. The Diversions family bar had out board games, so we headed over there and played a few together, while sipping on Pina Coladas (virgin for him of course ;).) We do a lot together at home, but not really time for board games, so it was just a nice, easy, time together.

Be sure to hit any family dance parties, if they still have them, and if your daughter likes Disney Princess songs, go to the family karaoke. Oh and definitely don't miss Bingo - your daughter can play with you as long as you are there to collect any winnings, and they give out a lot of freebies. We came out of there with pens, posters, change purses, and litttle toys. My son and I still crack up remembering the B-11 dance. :D

SDJen -

I am a first time cruiser and a single mom so when I return from our DL cruise (Mar 19-26) I will let you know what I find out. I have heard nothing but positive things about all of the activities that are available on the ship, so I am excited. I know I will be alone a lot since my daughter is 13 and very excited about the fact that she can go to the Teen Area which is a no parent zone.

Wish me luck!

GS4ever

Acording to my mom it was a blessing even though she had her parents she aperently acted as if they didnt exist because they only saw each other when myself(15) and my brother(12) were around she love the spa and the quit cove but i think what she liked the most is meeting another single mom who ended up with us during dinner the first night so opertunitys to get new friends even for the adults everyone loed it so i would defintly go espicaly if you ever wish you daughter would disaper because this is pretty close:p

I am a single mom and have traveled all over the place, including 4 cruises, with my daughter, who is now 14. We love the quality time together. On the cruises we spend a lot of time together, but also its nice she can take off with the other kids for an hour or 2 and I can read or nap! I have had a few afternoon naps courtesy of the kids clubs :)

Love it!

Just saw this old post come back almost two years after I started it ;)

Anyways, i just wanted to report back. I ended up taking my daughter on the Disney Magic in early February. She had turned 5 two days before we got on the ship.

We had an absolutely fabulous time!! in fact, i rebooked onboard for next year too!! I didnt feel out of place at all and met some wonderful people. My dd loved the kids club and spent some time there while I did the spa one night and Palo another. Also hit Palo for brunch which was also great. She also loved the pools so we spent some time just hanging out on deck too.

In Key West I just walked around myself and saw some sights and did some shopping. In Cozumel we did the dolphin swim at Dolphinaris - highlight of the trip in my opinion. In Grand Cayman we did the turtle farm which was awesome too. Loved Castaway Cay (my first time to swim in an ocean!!) even though due to an unscheduled medical stop we were late getting there and missed our stingray swim there. CC is incredibly beautiful and we really had fun there.

We were seated at a table for 8 for dinner. There was a 50ish couple and a family of 4 (with two girls) and us. That was really fun as the girls made friends (as did the adults) and we all got along really well. It was nice to have some people to hang out with and do things with throughout the week.

I will say it wasnt quite as relaxing as I expected though. It seemed like we were always on the go and there were still things that I never managed to see! I know this is different for everyone but we had a great time regardless. The shows were also great in the evenings.

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the encouragement and wanted to let other parents out there know how much fun it was. If you do it, you certainly will not regret it!!

Jen

Just saw this old post come back almost two years after I started it ;)

Anyways, i just wanted to report back. I ended up taking my daughter on the Disney Magic in early February. She had turned 5 two days before we got on the ship.

We had an absolutely fabulous time!! in fact, i rebooked onboard for next year too!! I didnt feel out of place at all and met some wonderful people. My dd loved the kids club and spent some time there while I did the spa one night and Palo another. Also hit Palo for brunch which was also great. She also loved the pools so we spent some time just hanging out on deck too.

In Key West I just walked around myself and saw some sights and did some shopping. In Cozumel we did the dolphin swim at Dolphinaris - highlight of the trip in my opinion. In Grand Cayman we did the turtle farm which was awesome too. Loved Castaway Cay (my first time to swim in an ocean!!) even though due to an unscheduled medical stop we were late getting there and missed our stingray swim there. CC is incredibly beautiful and we really had fun there.

We were seated at a table for 8 for dinner. There was a 50ish couple and a family of 4 (with two girls) and us. That was really fun as the girls made friends (as did the adults) and we all got along really well. It was nice to have some people to hang out with and do things with throughout the week.

I will say it wasnt quite as relaxing as I expected though. It seemed like we were always on the go and there were still things that I never managed to see! I know this is different for everyone but we had a great time regardless. The shows were also great in the evenings.

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the encouragement and wanted to let other parents out there know how much fun it was. If you do it, you certainly will not regret it!!

Jen

So glad you had a wonderful time!!!

Good to know that Single Parents aren't "frowned" upon. As a single father, I get the "well that's different" line quite a bit. I'm taking my 3 daughters (ages 7, 9, and 12) next month and they can't wait to go. First cruise for all of us. We're booked for the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel, KeyWest Presidents/Pirates tour, and the Pirate Adventure in Grand Cayman. If anyone has any feedback on these would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Good to know that Single Parents aren't "frowned" upon.

Absolutely not. I felt welcomed and comfortable the whole time. We had our own table for dinner (per my request), but we chatted with people throughout the cruise, and everyone was friendly. You will have a blast.

As a single father, I get the "well that's different" line quite a bit.
I got a few comments when I was on Royal Carribean last year: "Where is your husband?" (LOL), "Why are you sitting all alone?" (sitting in the audience before one of the shows started); however, no one bat an eyelash at me on Disney.

I even ate dinner at Palo by myself. It would have been nice to have company; however, they don't allow children, and my daughter was happy to go to the kids' club. Everyone told me not to miss Palo, so I didn't. :) Am going again next year and will probably try the brunch this time.

I haven't been on the excursions you mention, but they sound great.

Have fun!

Archived