ST. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel

lovejone

• 1 month later...

I just found at that we will be docked at Crown bay... that's not where the Kmart is to wait for the open air taxi to catch the feiry is it? Someone on another post wrote that he heard it was a 'beap' to get to trunk bay from Crown bay pier....

Help ;(

By all means go to St. Johns but bypass the tourist trap Trunk Bay if you're looking for snorkeling. Tell you Taxi driver to take you to Cinnamon Bay.

I prefer better snorkeling and less crowds. I understand that Cinnamon Bay is better than Trunk Bay for these two things, and that father down the road is Waterlemon Cay which I hear is even better than Cinnamon. How much father - time wise - is Waterlemon from Trunk Bay and how hard is it to get a taxi to pick you back up from Waterlemon?

Thanks

Hoping someone can answer this without me having to start a new thread.

I'm new to snorkling. I know there's a snorking "trail" at Trunk Bay. Does anyone know if there are "rest stops" along the way. I would really like to do this but I'm afraid I'll panic if I get tired and can't take a break somewhere. My hubby will be right with me the entire time, but I don't want to hold him back too much.

Snorkeling at Trunk Bay is a smaller area than you think. The trail has got to be less than 100 yards. They give you optional inflatable vests and when we were there last week there was a guy in a boat to help out anyone who needed a rest or adjust their gear, etc. You should be totally fine.

Also Trunk Bay is beautiful, but the snorkeling is just ho hum compared to other places in the world. As for crowds, when we went there were only 2 ships in port and the excursions from the ships shared the same boat on the way there. There were probably only a couple dozen people on the beach by the time we got there and we were maybe 30 more tops. It did not feel crowded in the slightest, we actually had to look around to find an available person to take our picture. However my guess is this is not a normal experience since St. Thomas can sometimes have a LOT of ships.

Archived