Advice about shopping at ports

cruise virgin x 2

This June my husband and I are going on our first cruise (Carnival Legend) it's Ports are as follows, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Isla Roatan. I am new to this site (but love it!!!!) and feel like I am flooded with information, can someone just tell me what the shopping is like in those ports.

P.S. I LOVE handbags so keep that in mind. ;)

Thank you!

Grand Cayman is VERY expensive on things like jewelry and leather goods, among other things. My wife loves bags too and in Cozumel she got a leather Coach bag knock-off for $60.00, haggling down from $100.00 in a pocketbook store downtown. I don't know from bags or names, but she was happy and it's a nice one. We didn't shop in Roatan or Belize, other than for a couple souveniers.

This June my husband and I are going on our first cruise (Carnival Legend) it's Ports are as follows, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Isla Roatan. I am new to this site (but love it!!!!) and feel like I am flooded with information, can someone just tell me what the shopping is like in those ports.

P.S. I LOVE handbags so keep that in mind. ;)

Thank you!

Hey Cruise Virgin x 2.....Shopping for knock off purses is MY PASSION on cruises....we have done that cruise and loved it....You HAVE to go to Belize inside the cruise port and shop there....Once you get off the tender, you go into the port terminal which is surrounded by a large fence....stay in there....and to the left is shop after shop of purses...whole stores with $35 purses.....we were in HEAVEN.... :)

Cozumel I didnt care for the shopping and don't remember that much shopping anywhere else on those stops but take me to the Nassau straw market anyday and I am grinning!!! :) lol

Little tip I learned when on one of our trips and coming home....you are only supposed to bring ONE purse home.....I wrote down 7 on my declaration when we got home and the guy checking me told me I wasnt supposed to bring but one and I almost died but he just smiled and said, Have a nice day.....I would have died losing 6 purses that I had bartered over hehehehe ANYWAY....NOW we just write souvenirs and gifts/presents and put the value and so far no questions.... :)

Have a blast girl!!!:D

Cruise Virgin x2,

I took that exact cruise in January!

If you can while in Isla Roatan, go to the Mahoghanny Factory. It's on the opposite side of the island from the pier. I never did see any "factory" but in the store there are a lot of great wooden stuff. My brother ended up buying a really cool cane after he couldn't haggle the ice bucket down to what he wanted to pay for it. I love wood but then I saw BEADS and was gone. I bought beaded jewelry, hair accessories and a handbag! Not designer but really cool beadwork :D

Barbara

Hey Cruise Virgin x 2.....Shopping for knock off purses is MY PASSION on cruises....we have done that cruise and loved it....You HAVE to go to Belize inside the cruise port and shop there....Once you get off the tender, you go into the port terminal which is surrounded by a large fence....stay in there....and to the left is shop after shop of purses...whole stores with $35 purses.....we were in HEAVEN.... :)

Cozumel I didnt care for the shopping and don't remember that much shopping anywhere else on those stops but take me to the Nassau straw market anyday and I am grinning!!! :) lol

Little tip I learned when on one of our trips and coming home....you are only supposed to bring ONE purse home.....I wrote down 7 on my declaration when we got home and the guy checking me told me I wasnt supposed to bring but one and I almost died but he just smiled and said, Have a nice day.....I would have died losing 6 purses that I had bartered over hehehehe ANYWAY....NOW we just write souvenirs and gifts/presents and put the value and so far no questions.... :)

Have a blast girl!!!:D

Thanks for the info!!!!! I am so much more excited now.

Thru CC posts I found a really neat store in Grand Caymen. It is called PURE ART, about 1-1/2 mile from center of town tendering area.

We did StingRay tour w/ Capt Marvis first thing then decided to walk to Pure Art thinking it was just a short trip. Nice walk but we were hot & tired!

I just read about these bike type pedal cabs you can hire, or would hire a taxi to go there. The shop when looking from ship to shore would be on right. When in town if walking will be on left side on a corner. A house transformed into rooms of all sorts of items for kitchen, gifts, prints, we found stainglass decorated coke bottles filled with sand etc. Very nice & friendly staff too. The one place I will shop next time in port there. They also have a website to get idea about the shop.

Cozumel- much better shopping in town than pier, and most is "imported from Mexico-reproductions" I have read. Nothing too special. Unless you are a music lover of guitars. A music store in downtown neighborhood called PAX is run by the Willy Nelson of Mexico area.

Belize:found better prices at vendor stalls at AltunHa ruins- but did see similar wooden bowls layered from different woods we paid $15-20 at pier $30+.

Roatan- read to try a shop called YabaDingDing (also has a website)

hope this helps

Archived