Air mattress or sleeping pad?

tandrsmom

I booked two cabins right across the hall from each other for my cruise in August with my mom and my two boys. Officially, we are booked in two doubles, one adult and one kid per room, but I already know my boys will both want to sleep in the same room as me. I don't figure I can ask for a roll-away, since we didn't book as a triple, but has anyone ever been in this situation and packed an air mattress or inflatable camping pad?

They will give you a roll-away if you ask. My son, on one cruise, did not want to sleep in the upper so we asked the room steward if we could have a roll-away and he said no problem at all, anything you need to make your cruise enjoyable! People move around all the time after boarding from what I've read on here.

:)

Which ship? Some ships do not have roll aways.

We've done two different things. Once we took a small (kids size) air mattress for our 2 yo granddaughter when she wanted to stay with us and we've also asked the cabin steward to make up the sofa into a small bed (even if it's not a triple). However, again depending on the ship and the cabin category, you might not have a sofa.

Often, we've booked a cabin that accomodates 3 but we've booked as a double. That way if one of the kids wanted to stay in our cabin, there was actually a bed.

We're going to be on the Glory. I'm in an inside - I'm giving Mom the balcony - and from what I can tell, I can't count on insides having a sofa, just a chair. If there were a sofa in the cabin, I don't think I'd have any worries...

On the Glory, the balcony will have the sofa but the insides will not. There are a lot of insides that will accomodate three but they will let you book two in there. Why don't you see if you can get one of those in close proximity to your mom's cabin? We slipped the cabin steward extra to handle making the extra bed for us. It worked like a charm!!

It's pretty normal for kids/grandkids to move around when there are several family members on board. They're used to it. :)

The reason I don't want to switch our inside cabin is because it is a HC cabin. Mom needs to use a scooter to get around, due to limited mobility, and I needed a room to store her scooter and recharge it at night. I know this sounds complicated, if not a little suspect; I assure you my intentions are pure. I just want my mom to have the best possible cruise experience. If she has the balc room, it will be easier for us to get up in the morning and go in to hang out with her than the other way around, and I want her to be able to enjoy the balcony. She will probably spend more time in her cabin than the boys and I will spend in a cabin, so I wanted her to have the better of the two. It seems like, practically speaking, though, that it would make more sense for me and the boys to take the balcony and have her join us when she gets up in the morning. I guess once we get onboard I can see if it would be possible to get a rollaway, not bring the air mattress, and let things shake out as fate determines.

Archived