Possible CC Group Cruise in June 2010, Who's Interested?

dsb9938

What months can you go on this cruise? Remember, you can choose more than one.  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What months can you go on this cruise? Remember, you can choose more than one.

Since you have to call the CC TA to book, yes she will help you with that as well.

I plan to fly in the night before and stay over one night in a cheap hotel, better safe than sorry.

I have already spoken to the TA several times and she is very nice.

Dennis

We'll probably fly a day or 2 early...I always like to be there beforehand. Do not want to miss the ship!!! And since it leaves on a Tuesday we can fly in Saturday or Sunday since neither of us work on weekends.

Gosh I'm getting excited! I have never done an alaskan cruise so I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.

I've always wanted to, but never have.

And even though it's a million miles away, I'm already all over the excursions and things to do in the different ports.

I'm a compulsive planner. Probably why I'm good at my job, LOL.

Just spoke to Johna (the TA for groups) and she said I probably won't hear from Laura (the CC rep) until middle of next week.

So, we have a few days to nail down an exact date.

Hopefully over the weekend we'll get more input.

Dennis

We are interested in a rail excursion. Should we do this before the cruise or after? We have never been to Alaska and even though I am not that excited about going, my DH wants to go. I just want to make sure we get to do as much as we can.

Would anyone else be interested in this?

[quote name='Pegs222']We are interested in a rail excursion. Should we do this before the cruise or after? We have never been to Alaska and even though I am not that excited about going, my DH wants to go. I just want to make sure we get to do as much as we can.

Would anyone else be interested in this?[/QUOTE]

What does it entail? Is it a tour you take?

I would think it'd be safer to do after, more chance of the rail tour being late getting back than the ship. I think there may be one or two on the Shore Excursions that you can do on the cruise as well. This would guarantee the ship waiting if you got back late.

If you find something interesting, post a link, I haven't even begun to explore the possibilities yet, there are so many.

Dennis

[quote name='hkolln']What does it entail? Is it a tour you take?[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I really am not sure. I think you have to book it as it is not Carnival related. I think you are on a train for a couple, or more days, see all the wildlife. Then I think they leave you off some place and you either go home, stay there for a day/night, or get on the ship. Carnival use to have this all inclusive in their Alaska cruises, but from what I can see they do not do that any more.

[quote name='dsb9938']I would think it'd be safer to do after, more chance of the rail tour being late getting back than the ship. I think there may be one or two on the Shore Excursions that you can do on the cruise as well. This would guarantee the ship waiting if you got back late.

If you find something interesting, post a link, I haven't even begun to explore the possibilities yet, there are so many.

Dennis[/QUOTE]

Sorry Dennis, but I have not seen anything on rail. I thought Carnival did not do that anymore.

If you look at the links I provided for each port, there is a link to the excursions, I only glanced at them, but I think there were some by rail.

I think you're talking about a longer cruise/tour, and I don't know if they do those still.

Dennis

[quote name='dsb9938']If you look at the links I provided for each port, there is a link to the excursions, I only glanced at them, but I think there were some by rail.

I think you're talking about a longer cruise/tour, and I don't know if they do those still.

Dennis[/QUOTE]

Your right Dennis, I do not think they do that anymore. It use to be called Air/Rail/Sea. I would not want to do just a few hours, as I want to make sure we see all we can. I am sure I am the only one that is not excited about this trip, but I want to make sure my DH enjoys it all. Everyone tells me that once I get to Alaska I will love it, but it just seems kinda of cold to me.

And of course I want to see Russia :D

I've been to Alaska before and it was UNBELIEVABLE! We took a rail tour up to Yukon Summit and it was amazing. It was strange though because it stays light for so long. We would come out of the late shows at midnight and there would still be sun!

[quote name='dbogusch']I've been to Alaska before and it was UNBELIEVABLE! We took a rail tour up to Yukon Summit and it was amazing. It was strange though because it stays light for so long. We would come out of the late shows at midnight and there would still be sun![/quote]

I was reading earlier that in June/July there's 17-18 hours of daylight each day.

Good thing for those thick drapes!

[quote name='dsb9938']I was reading earlier that in June/July there's 17-18 hours of daylight each day.

Good thing for those thick drapes![/QUOTE]

I know - we had an inside cabin on that trip specifically because of that.

I'm suddenly all about aft wraps.

Doing the Miracle this July and Spirit is a sister, so I'm going to go for the exact same room.

I think it'll feel like home if I can get it often enough!

LOL

[quote name='dsb9938']The week is really up for grabs, I'm happy with any time in June or July.

I did price a Cat 11 for the July 13th cruise, just to see, and my military rate ($40 higher than Early Saver) was $2109. But that's a suite, and not at group prices.

So if we can get 6 more cabins worth of interested folks (I believe you have to reserve at least 10) we can check into the group pricing.

Thanks for the interest.

Dennis[/quote]
Is that price for 2?
Sophiecat

[quote name='sophiecat']Is that price for 2?
Sophiecat[/quote]

No, that's each, but that's a suite not a cabin.

Suites are almost double or more than the average cabin if I remember correctly.

Dennis

[quote name='dsb9938']Have any of you guys ever been on one of the flight tours?[/quote]

first of all go to the alaskan thread for hundreds of helpful advise and help with your cruise. it is what made my first trip to alaska a great success.

hi all. i took my first cruise SOLO to alaska on the carnival spirit. i loved it . by the time i take my cruise on the spirit next june ( a family reunion cruise ) i will have cruised to alaska 4 times. i guess you can say i cant get enough of it. i think i would move there if i could manage it. yes, i have done a few tours. i am not trying to act like a know-it-all alaska advisor, but just someone who will try to help any of you out that have never been and want to know some general advise.

first of all [B]i do not have any reservations about booking independently with local vendors in alaska.[/B] they are very reliable and this is there bread and butter. they put on very good tours with reliable transportaion and are very knowledgable and will answer any questions you have on the tour. i have had very good luck with the ones i have been on.

junuea--capt.larry with orca enterprises is fantastic. a awesome tour and i have seen many humpbacks and orca whales with him. sea otters and eagles are spotted too. harv and marv are also very good and they show whales each tour also according to the alaska board. mendenhall glacier is a good place to visit and you can catch a shuttle or the blue bus at the dock for a very reasonable price, $14 round trip is what i have read. the tram is fun if it is not foggy. and make sure you go to the red dog saloon. it is a great price to get a real alaskan beer and see all the things they have hung on the walls. a must see stop in my opinion.

ketchikan--michelle with island wings is excellant. she is a very experienced flier and will give you a wonder tour over the fjords. we landed on a lake and saw bears . going over the water when we started out we saw whales when we looked down. southwest aviation is also a good flight tour company. creek street is a fun place to visit and close to the dock. saxman village is interesting and totom bight park is a wonderful park to wander around and see the poles and eagles and things. the lumberjack show is fun also. i think ketchikan is where you can do rock climbing and snorkeling. i might be wrong on the port for those so check for sure if that is your interest.

skagway--chilkoot tours has a wonderful summet, bus, train and lunch tour. i am taking it this may. 7 hrs with train going up, then bus, a stop with lunch, then a free pass to the museam. we also see emerald and bennett lake. it is $175 pp but worth every penny from what i have read on the alasan board. they use smaller vans than the ship tour so it is more passenger freindly. you can also do gold panning, glacier/dog sled tours, horseback riding and many, many other things to do. to many for me too mention.

do a search of each port and look up the things to do and it will give you some ideas of what is fun and the guides to choose from. have them send you their free visitor brochures. i know all of you are going to have a wonderful time. i love the spirit. it has been since 2005 since i have been on her but im sure she is still a beauty. the food was excellant, service fantastic and there were lots of fun things to do on the ship. it is very easy to navigate and the kids club is really good from what parents told me when i was on her. they said there where about 300 children on the cruise but i saw hardly any of them. a group of 3 approached me and asked if i had a item that they needed for the treasure hunt they were doing for the teen club. they were very nice and thanked mefor a safety pin i had.

[B]dont overpack.[/B] li think this is the worst mistake everyone makes when they go to alaska. i only take a carry on and have plenty of clothes. i dont get dirty so i can wear the same pair of pants twice and mix and match my other tops and pants. layer and you wont be tempted to take too many heavy clothes. jogging outfits and a few sweatshirts will be fine for the ship days and ports. in early may i wore a t-shirt under a hooded sweatshirt, a pair of jeans and had a lightweight nylon windbreaker handy, that i never used and i was never cold. i only wore tennis shoes that had been sprayed with water proofing. yes at night out on the deck it will be chilly ( cold if you come from a warm winter state ) but gloves and a headband will help keep you warm.

i hope i have helped a little with some of your questions. alaska is a more layed back cruise that offers the nature and scenery of the cruise as the importance of the passengers. of course you can party in the disco and at the pool but it wont be so much the ''party cruise'' that go to the bahamas and places like that. i know you are going to have a wonderful time and you will want to go back. :)

Archived