undertow and children

whival

Hi all,

It's a week until our cruise (yeah). We'll be stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. I'm getting concerned about possible undertows and our children. We have a 4 and 6 year old. Can we let them play in the shore water on their own. Do they need lifejackets even when we're in the water playing with them?

Anyone have any words of advice?

J

Hi all,

It's a week until our cruise (yeah). We'll be stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. I'm getting concerned about possible undertows and our children. We have a 4 and 6 year old. Can we let them play in the shore water on their own. Do they need lifejackets even when we're in the water playing with them?

Anyone have any words of advice?

J

My personal opinion ... for most beaches that cruisers tend to frequent, the wave action at the beach is not a good environment for small children left on their own. Should you take an excursion that goes to the south shore of Bandaras Bay then you would be in much better shape. Examples would include Las Caletas, the pirate ship Marigalante or a ship's "beach break" to Paradise Village or Mismaloya.

pv and cabo are bays, thus have light undertow most of the time. Mazatlan is ocean front, but stone island was calm when we were there last month. It seems like a great idea to have them wear swim life vests though

pv - westin beach

IMG_1470.jpg

pv - los muertos beaqch

IMG_5311.jpg

Cabo - medano beach

IMG_1096.jpg

Mazatlan Stone Island

IMG_8437.jpg

Mazatlan Beach near El Cid and Deer Island (on left)

IMG_8335.jpg

the water is so unpredictable, stone island in mazatlan, and mismaloya in PV, they were ok for kids,

in cabo medano beach is also ok, as long as there wasnt a recent storm, i would NOT go to lovers beach in cabo with kids, bad undertow and water taxis everywhere

maybe get the life jackets that arent so bulky like the ones people wear to ride jetskis or something, they are thin, i think costco has them , or big 5, then they wouldnt be so hard to pack,

we use to take that kind for our daughter when she was younger, just in case, its better to be safe than sorry ,,

have a great cruise !!

Archived