Vancouver Celebration of Light

Hi,

I'm going to be in Vancouver on 7/29/09, and I was wondering if anyone from the area, or who had visited, had any recommendations for a dinner cruise to view the Celebration of Light fireworks show. There seem to be several options, but I'd prefer a larger boat (the wife gets seasick) and a first-class experience.

Thanks,

-S

Hi,

I'm going to be in Vancouver on 7/29/09, and I was wondering if anyone from the area, or who had visited, had any recommendations for a dinner cruise to view the Celebration of Light fireworks show. There seem to be several options, but I'd prefer a larger boat (the wife gets seasick) and a first-class experience.

Thanks,

-S

Here are a few websites that you can choose from. The fireworks are very popular & there are lots of companies that cater to them. There are some old dumpy boats & so definite nice ones. They are all pretty big & because there is so much traffic before & after they don't go very fast so motion sikcness is not an issue. Have Fun!

http://www.boatcruises.com/online_booking/index.html?id=55

http://www.sunsetbaycharters.net/yacht.htm

http://www.accentcruises.ca/special_events.php#celebration

Best way to see the fireworks...IMHO... sit with the throngs on English Bay right in front of the life guard station where you can hear the music and really get a feel of what it is all about. PS. Make sure you get there early to claim your spot and use the bathroom before the crowds get too thick.

I always thought Canadians were always polite and respectful, but I guess some of the people on this board prove otherwise, or they aren't Canadian, or they simply have no manners. My feeling is the latter.

Yes, go Canucks... Lord Stanley is awaiting!

rome2009 - No worries, I didn't take offense at your suggestion. It's just not our thing to be wall-to-wall people, and I figured the best seat would be in the harbour.

BCHappyGal - Thanks for the heads-up on the best boat.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. If anyone else has anything to add, feel free :)

-S

If you have worries about rougher seas - not that likely in July - then you will want a charter that starts and finishes in False Creek and not Coal Harbour - the ones from Coal Harbour will sail under the Lions Gate Bridge and then head for English bay - if there are any rough seas it is likely to be here - False Creek is really more of an inland waterway so it might be a better bet if you have any concerns about rougher waters.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy the fireworks - I normally watch them from my condo's rooftop garden but will miss this night as I will be on my way to the Rockies for some hiking.

Cheers

Dennis

Looking at the links provided above - the Accent cruises is based in False Creek - there boats are a regular fixture in those waters for there evening booze dinner and dance cruises - didn't recognized there name at first because they have change their name from Vancouver Champagne cruises.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Well, as it happens, the Bard on the Beach announced that they were doing Shakespeare + Fireworks + Dinner on that Wednesday night (when I posted originally, it was still TBD), so we'll be landlubbers during our brief stay in Vancouver.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

-S

And that is one of the premium viewing sites for the fireworks outside the downtown core - you will enjoy both Bard on the Beach and the Fireworks - my closest friend employer just booked one of the boats for his employees annual summer time party and he is allowed to bring one friend - guess it's time to call in the many IOU's that he owes me.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived