Train Vancouver to Seattle

Could someone please reply that has done the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle. Was it wonderful? What do they mean when they say lower deck or upper deck seating? Do we need to take our own treats?

Could someone please reply that has done the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle. Was it wonderful? What do they mean when they say lower deck or upper deck seating? Do we need to take our own treats?

I don't know when you were planning to go on Cascades. We had reservations for four in the business class for May 13 this year. We bought our tickets about a month ago and they sent them in the mail. We got a call the other day that informed us that Cascades would not be in service at that time. They will refund our business class charge and we'll have to settle for open seating on a regular train with no food service or anything that makes the Cascades so special. We are very disappointed. I asked her if they were out of service because of preparation for the Olympics in 2010. She said "what Olympics, are they having them there?". Well, stuff happens, right?

I don't know when you were planning to go on Cascades. We had reservations for four in the business class for May 13 this year. We bought our tickets about a month ago and they sent them in the mail. We got a call the other day that informed us that Cascades would not be in service at that time. They will refund our business class charge and we'll have to settle for open seating on a regular train with no food service or anything that makes the Cascades so special. We are very disappointed. I asked her if they were out of service because of preparation for the Olympics in 2010. She said "what Olympics, are they having them there?". Well, stuff happens, right?

I got that phone call and Email as well that they were changing the equipment used on the Cascades, but I was told, and the website still says that they will have a snack car available. Just no business class as they had in the past. Pubear, we have done the Seattle to Vancouver and it is wonderful, riding right along the water most of the way. It's a very easy way to get back and forth, and you spend much less time dealing with customs than you do when you are driving over the border. This will be the first time we're doing the south bound trip. The upper and lower is talking about the double decker trains, you can sit in the upper or the lower sections, upper is nice for getting a further view, but lower is nice because you are closer to the ground and can see the sights that are closer to the train better. It's personal preference really, but I tend to think that the upper might be a little better if you have never taken this trip before.

I have a question if anyone can give me some guidance. We'll be coming in early on May 22nd on Radiance into the Ballantyne Pier and am trying to decide what to do with the luggage during our time in the city. I had read on the Via Rail website that they have Luggage Storage, but according to Via Rail, they will not do it for Amtrak passengers. I'm making a guess it's because of having to go through customs, they wouldn't answer that question. I can't imagine having to drag our bags around town, with a tour, but we might just have to do that. Any one have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Alan

I have a question if anyone can give me some guidance. We'll be coming in early on May 22nd on Radiance into the Ballantyne Pier and am trying to decide what to do with the luggage during our time in the city. I had read on the Via Rail website that they have Luggage Storage, but according to Via Rail, they will not do it for Amtrak passengers. I'm making a guess it's because of having to go through customs, they wouldn't answer that question. I can't imagine having to drag our bags around town, with a tour, but we might just have to do that. Any one have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Alan

It is my understanding that Amtrak will accept your luggage in the morning which means you will need to take a cab from Ballantyne Pier to the Pacific Central Station. From there you can take SkyTrain downtown, the Main St. Station of SkyTrain is right across the street from the PC Station. Failing that you do have the option of checking your luggage with CDS Baggage Service at Ballantyne.

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

It is my understanding that Amtrak will accept your luggage in the morning which means you will need to take a cab from Ballantyne Pier to the Pacific Central Station. From there you can take SkyTrain downtown, the Main St. Station of SkyTrain is right across the street from the PC Station. Failing that you do have the option of checking your luggage with CDS Baggage Service at Ballantyne.

Thanks so much for the info. I bought my tickets on-line and wondered about Business Class seats. The web site for Amtrak indicated that they are open from 10:15 a.m. on and somewhere I read that they accept baggage 24 hours before a train leaves. Also just emailed CDs to get more info from them on their rates. I asked RCCL if they provide transfers to the train station and was told that they did not. Are we second class citizens?

Thank you for the information. When I spoke with Amtrak, they were telling me that they couldn't tell me if they could accept the baggage that early or not. Strange that they wouldn't know, but who knows. I looked at the CDS website, and they indicate that they have a location at Canada Place, but there isn't mention of Ballantyne, is that a new location? Once again, thank you for the great information. I was starting to get a little concerned about my decision to take the train.

Alan

The story last year on "Business Class" was that the cars that were/had been used on this route were being upgraded and refinished. It would appear that they are just not going to return.

The cars were way better than coach when we traveled Business and you actually got on and off first which helped at Customs in Canada when northbound.

The route and scenery of course is the same :) and I highly recommend it.

Archived