Barcelona Port Vell?

Does anyone know if Port Vell in Barcelona is where the cruise ships depart? We are going on our first Mediterranean cruise in September, and I can't find it on Celebrity's site.

Also is anyone familiar with any hotels on the beach close to the port?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if Port Vell in Barcelona is where the cruise ships depart? We are going on our first Mediterranean cruise in September, and I can't find it on Celebrity's site.

Thanks!

No, the cruise ships aren't in Port Vell. They aren't that far away, but not walking distance. We always stay just across from the marina in a place called the Duquesa de Cardona. (google it) and it is super nice! I love that it is only a few blocks to Las Ramblas, but also right by the beach. It is a great hotel... and we love walking the boardwalk area every day. Much more interesting than Las Ramblas, in my opinion. At the end of the boardwalk along the beach is Port Vell. It is a nice walk.

Like most Mediterranean ports, everything is pretty industrial at the port itself. This one is VERY close to town, but you still wouldn't want to stay right AT the port.

It's a very easy cruise port. Enjoy!

Thanks!

Celebrity Cruises starts from Mol Adossat:

http://www.apb.es/wps/wcm/connect/1a5b228049290ccda8b8b873eb65d2bd/ca.planol.q.100.4992x1498.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=1a5b228049290ccda8b8b873eb65d2bd

Check on this map.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Like most Mediterranean ports, everything is pretty industrial at the port itself. This one is VERY close to town, but you still wouldn't want to stay right AT the port.

... I would not generalize it... because there are also nice non-industrial ports... like

Cannes:

2008-NCLJade-20006-Cannes.jpg

Monte Carlo

2008-NCLJade-20080-MonteCarlo.jpg

or Villefranche-sur-mer:

2008-NCLJade-20111-Villefranche.jpg

But if I see Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Bayonne, Seattle, Long Beach, Le Havre, Southampton, Copenhagen etc. I would not say that is limited to the Med Sea only - that's world wide...

Regards,

HeinBloed

... I would not generalize it... because there are also nice non-industrial ports... like

Cannes:

Monte Carlo

or Villefranche-sur-mer:

Regards,

HeinBloed

Yes, those are beautiful ports but aren't they also tender ports for any of the larger cruise ships that call on them?

When I think of a "port" I think of where the ship docks, in Marseille for instance while it is a gorgeous port of call, the ship docks in what is unquestionably an industrial port.

Just wondering...

This photo was taken from Voyager of the Seas docked in Moll Assodat last year with the city of Barcelona in the background. The Porta D'Europa can be seen just above the buildings with the curved roofs. It's not possible to walk right out to Moll Assodat as you have to go through the terminal.

[ATTACH]110670[/ATTACH]

Whiteheather

Archived