Discover Mexico Park - Any Feedback?

Getsmarts

Some in our group will be doing the Royal Swim with the dolphins which includes admission to the new Discover Mexico Park between the pier and Chankanaab. I have some $5 off admission coupons and wondering if anyone could comment on the park, admission cost, etc. We are unsure if the rest of us will want to make this stop.

Thanks,

Steve

I personally love going to Chankanaab park. I have read many negative reviews due to the cost, type of beach, etc., but I have been over six times and plan to go again on my cruise next week. It is important to keep in mind that Chankanaab does not provide a traditional beach. They have a beach like area of sand that has a rock entrance into the ocean. It is pretty each to get in and out of the water (They have even added hand rails). You can snorkel right there off the rocks. They rent snorkle gear and scuba gear if you are interested. You can also swim over to the dolphin area and watch the dolphins under water. There is also a lagoon and a garden/sculpture area you can walk through. A bath house is also available with showers and a changing area. They also have places to get food, drinks, etc. The last time we went, we paid $28 per person. This include admission, snorkle gear, two drinks, and a tee shirt. The current prices are listed on their website.

Chankanaab has really changed since my first visit. It use to be very rustic, but when hurricane Wilma came through, it really beat the place up. They used this to renovate the entire park, but as a result had to increase the entrance charge to pay for the costs. I think Chankanaab is really an over looked gem! It is perfect for someone who wants to lounge, snorkel, walk around and explore, see gardens, some wildlife, and soak in the Mexico sun! It is also good if you have lots of people with different interests/abilities.

My husband typically like to go to Chankanaab first things after getting off a cruise. We typically will hang out for three or four hours and then head in to town to walk around, shop, etc. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the feedback on Chankanaab. We have also been there several times and totally agree with you. I am actually trying to get info on a different place - the new Discover Mexico Park. I have seen their web site but it doesn’t list the admission price and also would like some feedback from someone that has attended.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

We were there about 2 weeks ago and thought it was quite wonderful. We had a tour guide who walked us through the exhibit. It begins with a very nice brief video about Mexico then you wander through a wonderful garden. There are models of many of the important monuments throughout Mexico in 1/40 scale arranged by time. The tour guide was great- he told us about the monuments and their history. It took about 90 minutes and the day we were there was almost empty. It is all very clean and very well done. The pyramids and buildings were fasinating and we told them that we would encourage people to visit. We had a 2 teenagers in tow and they enjoyed it also.

And yes you could go through it without a guide but there are no signs that I noticed so do go with a guide- he made it all come alive and helped to explain what you were seeing. He was worth every penny we paid for his history and the stories and explanations of what we were seeing.

• 11 months later...

Archived