GT Snorkeling - Just got back!

jessie073

I know I had a hard time finding info about GT snorkleing before I went so I thought I would post some info since I just got back:

Grand Turk

We ended up taking the snorkel excursion with Blue Water Divers. It was $30 pp and they require a group of at least 8 people to get you our on your own boat (snorkelers only - no divers). We were able to get a group of 8 together through our roll call. Had a great time and the tour was definitely worth the $30! They use large covered Carolina Skiffs which work out well for getting in and out of the boat. For our first stop Mitch took us out to the wall. This was absolutely amazing and a must see. Its sand bottom and approx 40 ft where you get out of the boat. We swam out a short distance to the wall which is built up with very alive and colorful coral. The depth at the top of the wall is approx. 30-35 ft. The water was a little deep here so this may not be comfortable for a beginner but there were lots of fish and very healthly coral. It definitely made the trip for us! Everyone in our group seemed to really enjoy it and had no problem going out there, but I can see where this might be a little scary for some, especially a beginner.

Our second stop took us to a spot just off of Governors beach. The water was about 15 feet deep and we saw quite a few small coral clusters with fish. This spot may have been a little disappointing for us (for an excursion) except that we did end up seeing a lion fish and an eel at one of the clusters.

Overall we had a great time with Blue Water Divers and the trip to the wall alone made it worthwhile. My only complaint (and its a small one) is that I wish they had a cooler with some cold drinks on the boat.

We did talk to another couple who had taken the ultimate snorkel (through the ship) and they said that the tour took them over the wall but they did not get to get out and snorkel there. They also had quite a few beginners on their tour and were taken to some very shallow spots (So again we were glad we ended up booking with Blue Water Divers)

Governors Beach - we noticed from where we stopped by boat to snorkel that this area was definitley swimable from shore. So if you are not interested in going out to the wall, Governors Beach is just a short walk up from the cruise ship terminal and there are definitely alive clusters of coral and fish to see. There was also a cage structure there for a reef that is being built and our guide said they had put down reef balls (although what we saw were regular coral clusters). It's not the best snorkeling we've seen by any means but there is definitely coral and fish to see for anyone interested in snorkeling from shore. (We would definitely go there if we were not taking a tour)

Hope this helps!

Jessie

Jessie073 --

I posted this question for you on the scuba and snorkeling board. In case you don't see it there, I'm re-posting it for you here. Thanks for any information you can provide!

We are thinking about booking Blue Water Divers' snorkel tour to the Wall in Grand Turk. We are very comfortable swimming in deep water. Our only concern is that the reef will be too far below us to really see anything. (One of us busted an eardrum last summer, so can't dive down.) How was it viewing the reef from above as a snorkler? How far above the reef are you?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Did you book the excursion from the dock or prior to going?

coho ken - we booked directly with Blue Water divers prior to going. We did not want to be on a boat with divers so in order to guarantee this Blue Water Divers reuqires a group of 8 to have your own boat with snorkelers only. We posted the tour info in our roll call and were able to get a few others to book with them as well so it worked out.

Jessie

Jessie073 --

I posted this question for you on the scuba and snorkeling board. In case you don't see it there, I'm re-posting it for you here. Thanks for any information you can provide!

We are thinking about booking Blue Water Divers' snorkel tour to the Wall in Grand Turk. We are very comfortable swimming in deep water. Our only concern is that the reef will be too far below us to really see anything. (One of us busted an eardrum last summer, so can't dive down.) How was it viewing the reef from above as a snorkler? How far above the reef are you?

Thanks!

ebseckar - just replied to your other post about this, let me know if you have any other questions :)

Archived