To Share or Not To Share? (Dining room table ?)

cathalane

Hi All,

Everytime I've been on a cruise, I've only dined with my own group... This July I'm cruising with my mom and teen daughter and I'm contemplating sharing a table with others. On this trip my daughter will probably bail on us for dinner at least half of the time, and I thought it might be nice for my mom and I to have others to talk to at dinner... Problem is, I'm shy and socially ackward so not sure if I want to try this or not. Does Carnival try to match up travelers up in the dining room, or is the table assignment just random? What are some pros and cons about having tablemates vs. family only tables?

Would love to hear all of your thoughts on this! (well, mostly :eek:)

;)

I remember how awkward it was back on our first cruise, but the awkwardness ends real quick. Even at open seating for lunch.

On one cruise, our family of three sat at a table of four by ourselves, and I feel we missed out on something.

Most of our tablemates have become lifelong friends, and a couple we met on our first cruise 21 years ago has cruised with us 5 subsequent times, and we last met in Vegas a couple of years ago when we went out to see the Celine show.

I am in a similar situation except with MIL instead of mom. I figure I'll be with her a good part of most days, especially port days. While I like MIL, I see her pretty frequently, and I can't imagine we'll have THAT much to talk about. So I am going to suck up my nerve and try sitting with others. I figure the odds are good that we'll sit with people who travel, and I enjoy hearing about places people have been, shore excursions, etc. I find that to be a very safe topic, and one people love to tell you about. I think you should go for it. Also - how's your mom regarding starting conversations - maybe she can break the ice?

Guest TropicOne

Go for it ! One of the joys of cruising is meeting new people and sometimes ending the cruise with new friends.

We always asked to be seated at a large table. It makes for a lot more fun and you meet so many interesting people. There is always a first time, but we have never been disappointed in our tablemates. If you get someone really obnoxious, you can ask to be moved.

On the last cruise we were sat at a table for 8 (two of us) but didn't like the table location. We moved to a table for two and I regret it. I am still very good friends with table mates I met on my first cruise in 1990. I love meeting new folks at dinner time. No offense to the person I'm with at all... just enjoy meeting others. We can have 'our' time at the supper club.

Hi All,

Everytime I've been on a cruise, I've only dined with my own group... This July I'm cruising with my mom and teen daughter and I'm contemplating sharing a table with others. On this trip my daughter will probably bail on us for dinner at least half of the time, and I thought it might be nice for my mom and I to have others to talk to at dinner... Problem is, I'm shy and socially ackward so not sure if I want to try this or not. Does Carnival try to match up travelers up in the dining room, or is the table assignment just random? What are some pros and cons about having tablemates vs. family only tables?

;)

I think the major issue here is that you were probably groomed to be a Met fan!! If it had been the Yankees...it would be a non-issue!!:D Seriously, you are a very pretty girl from the best City in the world...why should you be awkward?! And yes, sit with others...if not fun you can always change the arrangement....Have fun with Mom & child ;)

In my experience, in general Carnival has done a great job matching us up with others. I usually travel with my mom, and have since college. I'm not particularly outgoing. Each time we've been paired up with other non-married family members traveling together. With only one exception (and even then it was just two out of a table of eight) we have been able to have great dinner conversation.

Our match on the last cruise was great - the first time we didn't skip a single night of dinner, just so we could talk to them each night! I say give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have always enjoyed sharing a large table with other people. It was a little disappointing on our last cruise that the only other person at our table was a woman who was sailing on the ship to visit her boyfriend who was a crew member. A few nights she skipped dinner and we had the table to ourselves.

In my experience, in general Carnival has done a great job matching us up with others. I usually travel with my mom, and have since college. I'm not particularly outgoing. Each time we've been paired up with other non-married family members traveling together. With only one exception (and even then it was just two out of a table of eight) we have been able to have great dinner conversation.

Our match on the last cruise was great - the first time we didn't skip a single night of dinner, just so we could talk to them each night! I say give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You are very well "spell-spoken" Junkie...Thank you for your representation here!!;)

Well I am certainly not going to buck the trend here. I've been so amazed at how wonderful all of my tablemates have been. It's so fun to meet and compare days... who did what. What they liked. What they didn't. I don't know how much of it is planning on Carnival's side or just pure luck but (although I love my BF) I'd much rather have dinner w/ others. That's I guess, why I am not a fan of the "anytime dining." I like getting to know people for more than just one meal.

We have done both. I prefer to meet new people at dinner but once we were at a table for 4 & the other couple didn't speak English....not a word. Didn't work out for us.

That reminds me of a time we sat at a table of 8 with a couple that only spoke French........except when they were ordering their food. :confused:

We ignored them the rest of the meal, and never showed up again.

we always have so much fun sitting with people, Last cruise we sat at a table for six, us 2 and 2 other couples, the first couple only showed up once, but the other couple we got along with really well and even went on a snorkeling excursion with them, I highly recomend it. take the chance it will pay off:D

Prefer a table of two when we go by ourselves and a table for six when the whole family goes. Just got off a cruise on Sunday where we were at a table for TWELVE....our six and another family's six. It worked out ok and we all got along, but we prefer to be by ourselves.

We're not at all UN-friendly people........but we don't cruise to "make new lifetime friends".....we cruise to ESCAPE from friends, family, and other workers !!

In addition, we cruise for ROMANCE.....unless we are with other family members at dinner...we like sharing the 7-8 days with each other...certainly not with strangers !

Sharing personal talk with people we never met each day doesn't seem to fit over dinner....it's often the only extended period of time we can renew

with each other.

All that counts is what make individuals happy !

Hi All,

;)

I usually get along with tablemates and there is always something to chat about, things we chat about is excursions etc.

As far as Carnival matching Tablemates? I think they do a great job and is probably hooked up with the CIA and FBI. One year onboard Paradise Wendy and I sat with this couple and I got tired of hearing the dudes wife talk about "well because of what my husband does bla bla bla" Finally I asked him what the heck do you do? He told me that he was a Correctional Officer LOL... I whipped out my badge and showed him that I was a C/O also. He and his wife was happy and from that day forward we had a great time on that cruise.

How did Carnival Hook up 2 C/O together and from different states is another topic.

We have been really lucky with our Tablemates. I can tell you one thing thou, Im sure we sat with a Parolee once :confused:

What we like to do now is find out in our Roll Calls if there is someone looking to sit with us. Since we have been chatting with these Roll Call people for over a year or so, we tend to see if we have the same chemistry and will ask if they want to join us. We did this once onboard Pride with Cruise Critic members DianeF and her cool husband Jerry. I love to sail with them again but they have been doing other cruiselines since, they have by now close to 65 cruises.

Another time we sat with another Cruise Critic member named JLeong and her dad Bob, we has a great time, I still get emails from Jan asking us to join them on other cruises. We will cruise with Jan again in the near future.

So check with your Roll Call, because you know you have something in common with them.

Fred

We're not at all UN-friendly people........but we don't cruise to "make new lifetime friends".....we cruise to ESCAPE from friends, family, and other workers !!

In addition, we cruise for ROMANCE.....unless we are with other family members at dinner...we like sharing the 7-8 days with each other...certainly not with strangers !

Sharing personal talk with people we never met each day doesn't seem to fit over dinner....it's often the only extended period of time we can renew

with each other.

All that counts is what make individuals happy !

Am I the only person sick here? :D Sounds like Newlyweds, If Wendy and I ever got a table for 2, we would be at each others Throats by Desserts !!! :eek: And yes we are fun happy people.

Great candidates for the NewlyWed show.

Fred

If given the choice I'd probably chose to mix it up a bit. On our only cruise so far my wife and I sat at a large table and were both entertained by an older gentleman who shared wonderful stories of his life, and cruising (he was obviously very well off but not showy), and then put off by a younger couple who felt that his stories were a contest to out do each other. I guess you could say I'm very on the fence about it.

Today since we bring my Mother-in-Law with us, I go up to the Maitre'D and use my credentials to get us a table of 4, just for us 3. This April cruise we have a couple from work and my MIL so it will be 5 of us. So Im hoping to be seated alone with just us.

Fred

Today since we bring my Mother-in-Law with us, I go up to the Maitre'D and use my credentials to get us a table of 4, just for us 3. This April cruise we have a couple from work and my MIL so it will be 5 of us. So Im hoping to be seated alone with just us.

Fred

Hey Fred -

I'm on Freedom 4/5 with daughters 15 & 17. They pretend to be antisocial & want to sit by ourselves while in MDR. Any suggestions on how to make this happen?? Thank you.

They have done a great job seating us with adults our own age and kids close to the kids age and we have all made great friends. We did have a table for 4 the first time we took the kids and it wasnt as much fun. We already do that 7 nights a week.

I would try a large table and if your uncomfortable after the first night then asked to be changed.

Wanda

Archived