Aft Cabin

FurKids

We have taken several Alaska cruises and we have had oceanview, side balconies and an aft "wake view" balcony and frankly, while a balcony (side or aft, makes no difference) is nice so that if you see something while you are "not dressed for the public", you can step out on your balcony and snap a picture of it, the best view you will get will not be from any balcony but from a public area of the ship where you will have a much more panoramic view of Alaska.

The ship's access to these public areas is far more important than whether you have any sort of balcony, in our opinion.

Fulll promenade decks are a real treat in Alaska, and I would suggest a ship which has one.

We had an aft cabin on the Norweigian Pearl last year through Alaska and we loved it!

It was very quiet and peaceful there. You had a great view. On glacier day, the other people went up to the top of the ship and were wearing coats and hats and gloves. My daughter and I woke up and stood outside on our balcony in our pjs! It was so warm, we nearly got a tan! The sides of the ship seemed a lot windier most of the time. So my husband was able to spend about 75% of each day out there, not sure you could get that much use out of a side balcony due to the wind and cold.

We are going on a Princess cruise this June and I didn't get the aft due to the cost. So we will see just what its like on the side. That's the other thing, too. Everyone always wonders which side of the ship is the best, the back is always best for viewing in my opinion.

We had an aft on the Star about 3 years ago, right smack over the wake.

It was quite comfy on the balcony for the entire trip. In fact I have a pic of DH sunning himself on the balcony as we cruised away from Glacier Bay -- he was wearing shorts and sunglasses, no shirt and no shoes. He got a slight sunburn that day.:D

On our way home from Glacier Bay we could listen to wake out on our balcony with the dark blue sea below us. Only lights we saw in the dark blue sky were from the Big Dipper. A beautiful way to end a very beautiful and memorable cruise.

Dianne

Another vote for the aft cabin. Even though it rained most of the time so we didn't get to use the balcony as much as we would have liked, the times we were able to use it were amazing.

The day we went to Juneau, we were up very early, standing on the balcony in our robes, watching the whale tales. (And so was everyone else with an aft balcony.)

And the day we went to Hubbard Glacier, we went to the bow of the ship heading into the bay, then enjoyed departure from our private aft balcony. Those are some of the best pictures from our cruise.

I also agree about the wind. When our neighbors talked about it being too windy to be on their side balcony, we were perfectly fine on our aft balcony. We will definitely be booking an aft balcony for our next cruise--whenever that may be. :D

Sheri

Archived