Can't fine an excursion; what about just shopping & restaraunts?

gt95stang

I can't seem to find an excursion in Belize that I think would work well for me, wife and our 6 year old daughter. I'm thinking maybe just doing some eating and shopping, but I'm not even sure if that's really available. I wouldn't want to do it if the only places to go within walking distance are "tourist" places with useless trinkets and over priced food. But if there is some "authentic Belize" nearby, I could see doing 3 or 4 hours of wandering.

I've not heard good things about there being any shopping, nor anything else to do, on your own near the pier. I've also heard safety concerns if planning on going out of the immediate/gated pier area. I would book SOMETHING just to have something to do...as long as it didn't break the bank. That, or just stay on the ship. Especially with a kiddo. JMHO

Just outside the gates there is an open market with local crafts. It is not as scary or dangerous as some people lead on. We got some beautiful wood carvings really cheap there in 2007. Just because an area is poor does not make it dangerous. I would NOT go wondering around the city, but the market outside the gates is perfectly safe. Though some people can be pushy, just politely say "no thanks" and walk away. I find vendors to be pushy in every port I have been. I believe there were a couple restraunts/bars right outside the gates as well though we did not eat at them.

Did you look into going to the zoo? That might be a good choice with a child. I have not been there but its supposed to be nice, and much more natural then zoo's here in the states.

Thanks EBallgrl. It's nice to know about the market near the pier. If we don't end up doing an excursion, we'll probably hit that. I actually LOVE going to local markets and have been to a lot of them in SE Asia and a few in Mexico near the border. The "pushiness" won't bother me at all and you're always going to have some folks asking you for money whenever you're in a poorer area.

I think I'll start a new thread on "is Belize safe". I typically fairly adventurous in 3rd world countries and go with the attitude that people are generally good everywhere. So I'm glad I got your input, but it does seem to be a minority opinion.

The Zoo is under consideration, along with the Baboon Sanctuary; but we'll probably wait until we're on the boat to make a decision. After Cozumel, I'm thinking DD might just prefer to go to kids club rather than get off the boat in Belize. If that turns out to be the case, it would open some more possibilities.

There is some shopping the area inside the gates and outside. Lots of local craft. The more touristy area is inside the gates. There were over 5 Diamond Internationals (Crazy) and the usual shops. Yes there are pushy vendors, but it sounds like you are used to that. We found some great items in Belize. We did all our shopping after our tour. Our NCL excursion was cancelled so we found a tour guide that gave us a private tour of the Mayan Ruins. It was a wonderful trip. We learned so much about Belize from our great tour guide Manny. Belize was our second favorite port on this cruse. I hope you enjoy your time there.

Archived