Where to snorkel St.Maarten, Antigua, Barbados, St.Kitts?

Chris2712

Hello,

I´m new on this board and at first I want to say sorry for my english. I,m from Germany and I only practice this language when I´m on a cruise.

In April I´m going on my next cruise to the caribbean. At the last cruises I always booked my snorkel-excursions onboard. But this year I don´t want to go on snorkeling in a croud und want to go on my own.

At St. Thomas I take a trip to Buck Island and Dominica I´d like to go to Champagne Reef. I know these two spots very well and I like it so much.

But now I need some ideas, where to go for snorkeling at St. Maarten, Antigua, Barbados and St. Kitts. It will be fine, if the ride (taxi or bus) won´t be very fare from the cruise port.

I asked this question in a german board but didn´t get any answer. Can you help me?

Sincerely, Chris

Antigua - take a cab to Long beach, the most is 30 minutes ride from pier. We had a big group, it only cost us $15 pp round trip.

Barbados - take a taxi to Folkstone park, it is short drive from pier, there also public bus. Go to Barbados board, there is ton of information.

St. Kitts - take a cab to cockleshell beach, 15 minutes ride from pier. Also go to St. Kitts board for additional information.

Keep in mind that the snorkeling spots at these islands are not as good as at St. Thomas.

MTV

Dear MTV,

thank you for your answer.

Maybe there´s someone on this board who know´s where to snorkel at St. Maarten :confused:.

Now we are looking forward for a wonderful cruise with wonderful snorkel experiences.

Chris

I spent a week on St. Maarten in July 2008. I was not impressed by the snorkeling. We took a day sail to Prickly Pear and the snorkeling there was much nicer.

On Antigua we went to Long Bay, the snorkeling there was ok, out near the reef where the snorkeling would be better the rocks were too close to the surface to make snorkeling safe. Main thing I saw there was hermit crabs and starfish.

On St. Kitts we went to Cockleshell Beach, there I saw a few eels and a lot of lobsters.

I would agree that snorkeling in St Maartin is not that great, however, once we took an excursion over to island of Saba which has no beaches. While this is a tragedy for some, the fact that the water does not get filled with sand and debris. This m akes for excellent scuba and I would guess there are some interesting options for snorkeling. Might research snorkeling on Saba.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I´m new on this board and at first I want to say sorry for my english. I,m from Germany and I only practice this language when I´m on a cruise.

In April I´m going on my next cruise to the caribbean. At the last cruises I always booked my snorkel-excursions onboard. But this year I don´t want to go on snorkeling in a croud und want to go on my own.

At St. Thomas I take a trip to Buck Island and Dominica I´d like to go to Champagne Reef. I know these two spots very well and I like it so much.

But now I need some ideas, where to go for snorkeling at St. Maarten, Antigua, Barbados and St. Kitts. It will be fine, if the ride (taxi or bus) won´t be very fare from the cruise port.

I asked this question in a german board but didn´t get any answer. Can you help me?

Sincerely, Chris

Hi Chris,

Here's my opinion on where to go in each port...

Antique-Long Bay great snorkeling wank in from beach go on your own, rent a taxi 30 min ride from pier

St.Kitts-South Friars bay, good snorkeling might want to check into www.roystontours.com

St.Maarten- my vote goes to Pineal Island check out capt alans 3 island norkel tours and mudbath

Barbados-I'd go snorkeling w/sea turtles again with Thriller tours, Capt. Andrew & Matthew were wonderful.

Snorkel Dawg

Antigua - take a cab to Long beach, the most is 30 minutes ride from pier. We had a big group, it only cost us $15 pp round trip.

Barbados - take a taxi to Folkstone park, it is short drive from pier, there also public bus. Go to Barbados board, there is ton of information.

St. Kitts - take a cab to cockleshell beach, 15 minutes ride from pier. Also go to St. Kitts board for additional information.

Keep in mind that the snorkeling spots at these islands are not as good as at St. Thomas.

MTV

Where is Long Beach...Is that on the Atlantic Side..I thought Atlantic side was rougher surf??:confused:

Archived