3 Excusrions in Kauai with short time on 2 nd day

manasvi10

We just booked the POA for May 16.Really short time.. I was doing some research on excusrions and have some questions:

A) In kauai where ship is in port from 8 am to 2 pm (overnight)

I want to do Waimean canyon and Fern Grotto (by renting a car), Napali sunset cruise (holoholo charters: 2 to 3 hrs) and Zip line (Backcountry Zipline Adventure is preferred ).

The questions I have are

1) How much time will be needed to rent a car after we dock?

2) How much time is needed for Weimea and Fern grotto river cruise on our own after that?

3) All the Na Pali sunset cruise check in time is between 2pm to 3 pm. Can we reach there after weimea ?

4) Is Na Pali cruise worth (no snorkle) or we will see the same stuff on the last day from our ship when we leave Kauai ?

5) The cruiseline zip line adventure is almost $45 more than local rates. So I was thinking of doing it on our own..But Can't fit the schedule because if I do it on first day, it is at 9 am so not sure whether can catch it after docking and renting. If I can, then will I have enough time to do Weimea and fern grotto on 2 nd day before leaving at 2 pm? If I take afternoon zipline, then will miss Napali which I can not do on 2 nd day either

In short completely confused now about the order of excursions.Any help regarding time management, resource adjustment , do don't, will be appreciated. If needed I can book zipline through cruiseline on 2 nd day to avoid the worry of missing the cruise but I heard they use Treetop Zipline Tours and not (Backcountry Zipline Adventure ).

B) In hilo, for VNP, NCL offers 4 separate excusrions

1) VNP normal 2) Kilauea Volcano Hike- Must 3) Kilauea Lava Viewing Hike

4) VNP nature delux and offcourse 5 th one is on our own by renting a car

Can someone please help me with all these options..2 years back my friend did Volcano hike and said it was good. Here on CC, I read that Nature delux is the best one. We, me and DH, are in our late twnties so kind of fit and ready to hike...So which one will be better and economical way?

C)In Maui, we are planning to rent a car. Any suggestion which car company(current better deals)? and do we have parking for overnight car park? how much? Need car for Road to hana on day 1 and halelkala on Day 2...(I know it is an ambitious plan to drive so much on our own but DH loves to drive)...Any suggestion for alternative for Day 2 halelkala tour especially sunrise after doing RTH on Day 1 is welcome...

We're going on May 2. Coming up soon and I can't wait!

I've never been, so I'm going to pass on recommendations, but we did get cars for each port through priceline with the name your price bidding. Prices were way better than online direct, even with AAA, Costco, and any other codes I could find.

We have convertible for 1 day each in Maui, Kauai, Hilo and Honolulu (6 days)....I bid no more than $28/day. Ended up with a convertible for Maui and Honolulu total of $40/day (with taxes & fees) and full size in Hilo for $35, and midsize in Kauai for $38.

I'm happy with that. Down side is that you can't cancel, up side is that it's already paid for.

We chose to do an NCL excursion on the second day in Kauai and Maui so only needed the cars for one day.

Have a great time!

We rented our cars through http://www.hawaiicruisecars.com/ from advice on here. We also took advice from this forum and Trip Advisors and got a Thrifty Blue Chip card. We paid $29 (before taxes) for a compact car in Kauai, Maui, Hilo and Oahu and were upgraded in every case to a mid-size or better - with a convertible on Hilo. With that source you do NOT have to pay ahead, and can easily cancel (as we had to do the first time we planned our trip and got hit by the ice storm of the century). The Blue Chip status will get you immediate service at every port! Just be sure to book ahead as I saw lots of disappointed people who could not get a car when they tried after docking.

I can't answer many of your questions since we didn't take those particular excursions, but on Kauai, we rented the car and drove to Kee Beach at the top of the Island, and then clear around to the Waimea Canyon - so you can do as much as you want in a day. We didn't rent a car on the second day, but took a helo tour with Jack Harter who picked us up at the dock, and dropped us back in plenty of time.

I'd definitely recommend doing Hilo on your own!

In Maui, there is free parking at the pier. It is limited but we had no problem finding a spot there. They have more parking along the seawall, so as long as you don't get back too late, I don't think you'll have any problem with parking there.

I have been to Kauai 3 times, so I have a little insight. I would skip the Fern Grotto on day 1. Part of the problem is that you would have to go through Lihue coming from Wiamea Canyon to going back to Port Elizabeth, where the Napali trips leave from.

You need to remember, when going up the canyon, you may run into traffic, you will certainly want to stop and take pictures at several sites

From what I have heard, Fern Grotto has gone downhill quite a bit. I have never been there and frankly, don't feel that I have missed much.

I guess it is my own way of thinking, but, I don't consider spending the whole day in the car, dashing from place to place, to be my idea of 'fun'

Inm and Cjnky,

Thank you very much for car rental info. I just booked the cars using discountedhawaiirentalcars.com with Thrify for 2 days in Maui, 1 day at Hilo, 1 day ay kuaui. Got 28$/day before tax in all ports. I really liked your idea of being able to cancel if something goes wrong. I will prefer peace of mind during the trip. Also I will get blue chip card as suggested by you to avoid long wait..Good idea .

Fendbass,

Thanks for kauai advice. I also did a little bit research in last 2 days..So now thinking will either do 'Fern grotto' after renting a car or will start driving to canyons. After reading couple of other recommendations, we are now doing Na Pali sunset cruise which will leave from the dock close to waimea canyon and on our way back to cruise ship. The start time is 2.30 pm sharp. Once again thanks for your reply on Fern grotto...I was confused and was debating between waimea or fern grotto earlier..:) I am now taking cruise ship canopy zipline excursion which is I think backcountry zipping on Day 2 so NCL will worry about geting me back on time:)

Don't waste your time on Fern Gratto. It's a cheap tourist trap, was even 30 years ago. You'll be on the most beatiful island in Hawaii at the best time of the year. If you can squeeze in, you should try to drive up to North Shore, at least to the Hanalei lookout.

Try this company. I've loved it when I booked it back in 2007 on Pride of Hawaii cruise. http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.htm

We rented our cars through http://www.hawaiicruisecars.com/ from advice on here. We also took advice from this forum and Trip Advisors and got a Thrifty Blue Chip card. We paid $29 (before taxes) for a compact car in Kauai, Maui, Hilo and Oahu and were upgraded in every case to a mid-size or better - with a convertible on Hilo. With that source you do NOT have to pay ahead, and can easily cancel (as we had to do the first time we planned our trip and got hit by the ice storm of the century). The Blue Chip status will get you immediate service at every port! Just be sure to book ahead as I saw lots of disappointed people who could not get a car when they tried after docking.

I can't answer many of your questions since we didn't take those particular excursions, but on Kauai, we rented the car and drove to Kee Beach at the top of the Island, and then clear around to the Waimea Canyon - so you can do as much as you want in a day. We didn't rent a car on the second day, but took a helo tour with Jack Harter who picked us up at the dock, and dropped us back in plenty of time.

I'd definitely recommend doing Hilo on your own!

In Maui, there is free parking at the pier. It is limited but we had no problem finding a spot there. They have more parking along the seawall, so as long as you don't get back too late, I don't think you'll have any problem with parking there.

I agree with SimonV....the north shore of Kauai is beautiful and, to me, the place that should not be missed. Green with several beautiful beaches (it is the wet side of the island). I have never cruised to Kauai, but spent 12 days there last year. If/when I go back, most of the time will be spent on the north shore.

Waimea Canyon can easily be a day by itself, if you stop often on the way up and take some time to hike into it (a little, at least.....different views than from the car). I am not sure where you are from, but if you have ever been to the Grand Canyon, Waimea is similar (but on a much smaller scale). Be sure to stop at Jo JOs for a shaved ice on your way back.

Keep in mind.....Lihue area gets crowded at rush hour (actual bumper to bumper traffic), so plan any movements through Lihue area to NOT be at work start or quit times.

12 days on Kauai and we did not go to Fern Grotto. I have a coworker who grew up on Kauai, and he warned us away from it. Since all the places he did tell us to go to were great, I assume he was right about Fern Grotto, too.

Have fun.

Thanks a lot ...Now I am 100% sure that I am not going to miss a big deal by not going to Fern Grotto :D ...

Our curent plan is

1) Morning : Wing over kauai Flight tour: Will see waimea + little bit of north shore (should be sufficient as we have already spent enough time in grand canyon)

2) Afternoon: Napali sunset and sightseeing cruise

If we find time between air tour and Napali, planning to spend some time on poipu beach on our way to Napali from the airport...

2 nd day:

Backcountry zipline through NCL so no need for car rental and no worries about missing the ship

Sounds like you got it all figured out. I have been to Kauai 2 times and would skip the fern grotto too. The Napali is a great tour. The ship goes by the coast but you are much farther away than you will be on the sunset tour.

Kauai is the most beautiful of all the Hawaiian islands, just my opinion. We went the 1st time on the cruise and then went back for a 10 day land visit.

We just returned from this cruise on Saturday 3/28. For your time in Maui on day 1, I would suggest renting a Jeep or convertible to drive the Road to Hana. For day 2, you could do the Haleakala sunrise tour and ride bikes down the volcano through Maui Downhill Adventures. The ship didn't offer the bikeride...I think only a van tour up and down the volcano. Maui Downhill will pick you up at the cruise ship for a small fee. Or...if you keep your rental car, you could meet at their office if you would like to explore further after the bike ride is finished. We met at their facility at 3:30 am and were finished by 10:30 a.m.

You might consider leaving from Hanalei for the Napali sunset cruise, rather than Port Elizabeth which is not particularly pretty. By mid-May there should be cruises going out of the Hanalei pier. Then you get to see the North Shore of Kauai, and will understand why it's called the Garden Island. After the flight, you should have plenty of time to drive up north. I consider as the essense of Hawaii the view of the Hanalei Valley from the lookout before coming down to the one-lane bridge.

simonv,

Right now I have booked Napali cruise with HoloHolo charters because the reviews were good and price was better. I did not do much research on north shore as I read it will take lot of time to drive there after morning flight tour. All the sunset cruise departes by 2.30 and I don't want to carry that tension during my 1 hour flight tour...

Our flight operator said that it 11 am ride will be better than 9.30 because the sky will be clearer and views will be better in sunshine. So if we leave by 12.30, will we be abe to make it to north shore by 2.30?

Any tour operator recommendation from north shore?

It's been years since I've taken a Napali cruise, so I don't remember. It was a small sailing boat and they actually sailed. A noble concept. The captain said he does the cruise out of Hanalei during summer, and move to Hanapepe by mid-August as the north shore gets rougher.

Hawaii doesn't go into daylight saving time, but still sunset isn't till after six that time of the year. I'm surprised 'sunset' cruise leaves so early. Kauai is my favorite island. You'll enjoy it no matter what you do.

From what I have heard, Fern Grotto has gone downhill quite a bit. I have never been there and frankly, don't feel that I have missed much.

Don't waste your time on Fern Gratto. It's a cheap tourist trap, was even 30 years ago. You'll be on the most beatiful island in Hawaii at the best time of the year. If you can squeeze in, you should try to drive up to North Shore, at least to the Hanalei lookout.

12 days on Kauai and we did not go to Fern Grotto. I have a coworker who grew up on Kauai, and he warned us away from it. Since all the places he did tell us to go to were great, I assume he was right about Fern Grotto, too.

Have fun.

What a shame...It's been 23 years since we were on Kauai and went to the Fern Grotto. It was one of our fav places on the island. We had a nice river boat with music, dancing and entertainment take us up the Wialua River to the grotto, and hike into one of the most beautiful places on Kauai. After renewing our wedding vows, some beautiful singers came up the trail singing the Hawaiian Wedding Song. It was very romantic, and quite memorable. So sad to hear it's not the same place it was 20+ years ago, but I have heard that from other sources, as well. :(

Happy Sailing, though!

DT

You were on a land vacation, though. When you have all the time in the world, then by all means. Fern Gratto cruise is relaxing, especially on a cloudy day when beach isn't particularly attractive. When we stayed in Kauai for a few months, we've taken it and enjoyed it. It's a good thing to do when you've gone everywhere and done everything, and now looking for a change of pace. It's a good place to take kids to. But when you got only a day and half, Fern Gratto wouldn't be on my priority list for sure.

Archived