Among these ports, which one is worth taking the ship's tour vs DIY?

ACHOI

The Celebrity Ship will visit these ports : Copenhagen, Stockholm ( one and a half day ), Helsinki and Oslo ( 6 hours only).

If I have to choose only two onshore excursions run by the ship, which two places would you suggest, considering the length of stay , attractions and the easiness of doing it on your own.

Please help !!!! Thanks.:rolleyes::)

For sure, Helsinki can be done on your own very nicely.

It depends on where your ship docks, but sometimes it can be right near the city center. If not, there are city buses that are very easy to get used to.

Should you be in the large harbor, there will be a bus that takes you directly to the Market, or main area near the inner harbor. From there you can walk or take trams to see the sights.

Do a search on CC for Helsinki and the others and you will find lots of information. To see what we did in Helsinki and Stockholm go to http://www.*****.com/Finland.html

Hi,

We did a quick two hour tour in Helsinki of the churches and main sights. I was pleased we did because although it is an easy city to walk, there are many steep hills. Some of the best sights are up big hills. We also had a wonderful lunch at the open air farmer's market, visited a pharmacy for medical supplies and saw a gay pride parade. Priceless! Stockholm is very easy to do on your own and we were there for two days and felt we saw a good part of the city. Tallin we got on a hop on hop off bus that was a waste of time and money. It is an easy city to walk and we had a great lunch in the main square watching dancers/singers. It is also the most affordable shopping of any port we found so we stocked up on gifts.

Helsinki and Oslo are walkable from the ship and easy to navigate. Copenhagen is too if you are a good walker. From the ship pass the little mermaid then pass through a 17-19th century fort to Amieliaborg see the most ornate Protestant church I have ever seen (well it is Lutheran and that is not my background) the Rosenborg is not far.

Tivoli Gardens and the Art Museum are further and would warrant a cab.

Stockholm is very pleasant and easy once you have gotten to the city proper as the ships tend to dock a far piece from the city center.

For sure, Helsinki can be done on your own very nicely.

It depends on where your ship docks, but sometimes it can be right near the city center. If not, there are city buses that are very easy to get used to.

Should you be in the large harbor, there will be a bus that takes you directly to the Market, or main area near the inner harbor. From there you can walk or take trams to see the sights.

Do a search on CC for Helsinki and the others and you will find lots of information. To see what we did in Helsinki and Stockholm go to http://www.*****.com/Finland.html

Hi Lair Bear,

You have a wonderful travel website - thanks for sharing! Lisey

On our baltic cruise, we're planning on doing all of these ports on our own, including a weekend in Copenhagen pre-cruise. Unlike St. P, the boats all seem to dock within easy reach, either foot or public transport, to the city centre. I've already spent a small fortune on guidebooks, but then again I'm also something of a guidebook junkie . . .

Archived