Diving in Bermuda

NeurosurgeryNP

We were there a few years ago on Celebrity's Horizon.I dived for 3 days with Fantasea in downtown Hamilton--very convenient as the ship docked only about 2 blocks away.I just left my gear (excpet for my reg and computer)in the crew's locker on the boat.Fantasea ran a nice/safe operation.

The historic wrecks were pretty and interesting.Water was rough the first day (18foot seas on the outer reef---we stayed inshore!).Most sites are pretty shallow for wreck diving---30-60 feet.Bermuda is great for newbies or anyone who appreciates history.Lots to do topside and a beautiful island with nice people.

Only downside is Bermuda is EXPENSIVE for lodging and food.Cruise ship is the only way we could afford it.We had lunch one day in St. George--3 chicken finger baskets,3 Cokes---$65.00 Ouch !!!!! Dinner would be worse.Guys on the dive boat were paying $350 per night for rooms--think we paid about $850 each for the cruise. We bought a Heritage Passport and bus/ferry passes for about $65 which gave us plenty to do in the afternoons.Attractions were very nice and affordable. Divers will enjoy the BUI Bermuda Underwater Institue in Hamilton.The Dockyard and St. George were also very interesting.

Hope this helps.

Can anyone recommend an operator (no cattle boat) for Bermuda (West End)? Has anyone here dived in Bermuda - is it worth it?

Hi,

I recommend Blue Water Divers in Bermuda (not to be confused with Blue Water Divers in Grand Turk). They run several operations including the West end. I've only been to Bermuda for work (3x plus I hung over for diving, yeah I know, lucky guy) so I don't know how or if they work with cruises but I'd assume they do. The diving in Bermuda is shallow. It's a fringing reef that surrounds the island and I've never been able to get deeper than 40ft. There aren't a lot of fish as they were pretty well fished out but Bermuda enacted a law about a decade ago protecting the fish and they're starting to come back. An interesting side effect of the fishing is the number of parrotfish you can see there. Apparently they're not eatible so the fishermen through them back and their populations are huge. There are also a lot of reef formations making swim throughs and underwater canyons so it's not just clumps of coral. Because of the reef, there's tons of wrecks to dive and usually BWD does "reef and wreck" boat dives. I really enjoy diving in Bermuda. You can check out some pictures on my website at:

http://www.randallgamby.com/bermuda-index1.html

Randall

I just contacted Blue Water Divers, and they have a 24 hr cancellation notice. I am concerned about booking with them as we are sailing at the tail end of hurricaine season - and if we don't dock for some reason - we won't get a refund - they require full payment at time of reservation. Anyne have any other ideas? I did look at the shore excursions for Princess, and they have the certified dives listed at $179 - ouch!

I just contacted Blue Water Divers, and they have a 24 hr cancellation notice. I am concerned about booking with them as we are sailing at the tail end of hurricaine season - and if we don't dock for some reason - we won't get a refund - they require full payment at time of reservation. Anyne have any other ideas? I did look at the shore excursions for Princess, and they have the certified dives listed at $179 - ouch!

If you want to do a shore dive blue water divers has a shop at the Elbow Beach Resort (at the beach in the seawall) that takes walk ups. But of course you'll need a buddy or take the chance you'll find one there (50/50). The dive is very good and the guys at the shop can point you to where everything is in the water, including the wreck of the Pollockshields. The resort and shop are a 5 minute or less taxi out of Hamilton, of course will be longer out of the west end. As far as hurricane season, it's normally not much of an issue in Bermuda. By the end of the season the gulf stream has begun to move away from the island and the incoming colder waters typically stear the hurricane's farther west. I have more details on logistics to elbow beach if you want (dove there three times).

Randall

Archived