Tennis shoes on Formal Night?

jkerstie

Yes... I have seen a variety of shoes during the formal evenings. Women wear sandals without hose although I've never seen anyone in 'flip-flops'.. Just remember pictures though... some will show the shoes.

Can my 14 year old son wear tennis shoes (sneakers) on formal night with his slacks and polo shirt if needed? Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it. Here's a snip from Carnival's FAQ:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so.
For a young teen nice slacks, polo shirt and sneakers would be fine IMHO.

Charlie

At a recent wedding, some teen wore a suit with tennis shoes. He should have seen the behind the back looks, and the clandestine comments.

And he looked stupid. Don't know if that was the look or impression he was looking for. If it was, he certainly attained it.

Guest TropicOne

Footwear is not specified in the dress code so he would be admitted.If he needs to wear sneakers get new black ones.A polo shirt does not meet the definition of dress shirt. I am a very casual person but even I would dress up some for elegant night.

Footwear is not specified in the dress code so he would be admitted.If he needs to wear sneakers get new black ones.A polo shirt does not meet the definition of dress shirt. I am a very casual person but even I would dress up some for elegant night.
I agree with you for an adult.

For a young teen I would personally have no problem with the polo, slacks, sneakers (I am assuming "in good condition"). From what we have seen on recent Carnival and other lines the young man would be dressed like many others in his age group and better than some who are old enough to know better:p

Charlie (Who dresses for dinner.)

Can my 14 year old son wear tennis shoes (sneakers) on formal night with his slacks and polo shirt if needed? Thanks!

Sorry, but I think that is tacky. I would encourage your son to wear shoes appropriate with what he is wearing.

If you and your 14 year old son really think tennis shoes are formal attire....have at it.

Why not encourage this young man to dress appropriately. You are the teacher for him...this would be a good experience.

Many kids his age onboard are in suits or dress shirt, tie, slacks and shoes.

I agree, tennis shoes on Elegant night would be tacky.

You can get a real cheap pair of dress shoes at (gasp!) Wal-Mart.

If he has a medical issue, then that's a different story.

Carnival has always been lax in enforcing the dress code. So now it's in writing how relaxed it is and people still want to push it.

It doesn't say you can't wear tennis shoes on Elegant night in the dress code, so that makes it okay? It also doesn't address bedroom slippers either. So I suppose that makes it okay to wear them, as well?

I guess just getting an answer to the questions was to much to ask. I did not go into details about my son because I did not feel it was necessary. Some folks on this board should consider that there may be other circumstances that surround the question. For example, my son is autistic and any binding/tight clothing items make him extremely comfortable. Alot of autistic individuals have this issue. Yes, I sometimes do make him dress up anyway but do not feel I need to force this one him during vacation.

Thanks for the answers to my question but maybe some of you should stick to answering the question asked and not judging someone. If you see someone at dinner dressed like my son - just remember that there may be a reason for it!

I am new to this board and do not know if this environment is one I am going to enjoy.

Julie

I guess just getting an answer to the questions was to much to ask. I did not go into details about my son because I did not feel it was necessary. Some folks on this board should consider that there may be other circumstances that surround the question. For example, my son is autistic and any binding/tight clothing items make him extremely comfortable. Alot of autistic individuals have this issue. Yes, I sometimes do make him dress up anyway but do not feel I need to force this one him during vacation.

Thanks for the answers to my question but maybe some of you should stick to answering the question asked and not judging someone. If you see someone at dinner dressed like my son - just remember that there may be a reason for it!

I am new to this board and do not know if this environment is one I am going to enjoy.

Julie

Sometimes it is best to got to Carnivals site for "answers"...most people here mistake their opinion for an answer. :rolleyes:

It is best to go to the source for facts.

Julie

Whats the reason? Why can't he just wear comfortable dress shoes as opposed to making an excuse why he can't? I'm missing the correlation.

It is really hard to explain about my sons issues with clothing. These are shared by alot of autistic individuals. Clothing (yes, any) is irratiting to my son. This is multiplied by the tightness/restrictiveness of the clothing.

Once he finds something that is "good" for him he wants to wear that type/brand all the time. Even new tennis shoes of any sort are a BIG problem. They bother him for weeks until they are "comfortable". So clothes you find slightly uncomfortable are so irratiting to him that nothing else registers. It is sensory overload. Hope this helps you understand a bit better. I guess I should have clarified my original question with details or have been prepared for all the judgements.

Thanks for the answers. It sounds like he will be allowed to eat dinner in the dining room during formal night even if he is a bit under dressed.

Julie

Julie....Welcome to CC. Don't run off. Dinner attire is a constant sore spot for some....and therefore they tend to elaborate and make what your kids wear to dinner a life lesson, as opposed to a simple outfit that most people could care less about. I think your son would be fine in tennis shoes, regardless of health issues. And you WILL see many kids in khakis, a polo and k swiss tennies or vans type sneakers. The adults are dressing way down too. Have a great time and remember, it's your vacation...Enjoy.:)

Julie

Regardless of your son's needs, it is ok to wear sneakers, docker like pants, and polo shirts. I agree, you shouldn't have to give any personal details when you ask a question. You will see people less dressed up than that. Really, just go with what you and your son are comfortable with.

You can get a lot of helpful information from this forum, just ignore the posts that are obnoxious or degrading. There is a lot of bashing going on here, but I find that most of the people are really nice. You will soon learn who to ignore.

Regardless of your son's needs, it is ok to wear sneakers, docker like pants, and polo shirts. I agree, you shouldn't have to give any personal details when you ask a question. You will see people less dressed up than that. Really, just go with what you and your son are comfortable with.

You can get a lot of helpful information from this forum, just ignore the posts that are obnoxious or degrading. There is a lot of bashing going on here, but I find that most of the people are really nice. You will soon learn who to ignore.

Nice answer, I agree totally.

We're opting out of formal night this cruise because it's a hassle to take the clothes - we always seem to be doing something else and run late. Based our past cruise experience, we could go to dinner in whatever we're wearing (jeans, shorts, sneakers), but we'll go to the Lido instead. My son wore sneakers to the dress night the last cruise though. Nice shirt, tie and pants - with sneakers. He looked great and we have nice formal pictures to remember it with. Society is not as formal as it used to be and neither are cruises. If some people want to dress up - great! They look wonderful! If others want to dress in a resort casual - that's nice too. I don't think anybody should be excluded. We're all there to have fun! It's a Fun Ship!

Archived