Tennis shoes on Formal Night?

jkerstie

sneakers= buffet.

People get married in a tux and sneakers now! My daughter (and a lot of others) wore a sneakers (converse of course) to homecoming - both the boys and the girls - no aching feet and no walking barefoot on a nasty floor because their feet hurt.

Don't look down and you'll never know.

Whats the reason? Why can't he just wear comfortable dress shoes as opposed to making an excuse why he can't? I'm missing the correlation.

I have neuropathy in my feet and I can attest to the fact there is no such thing as a comfortable dress shoe if your feet hurt all the time. Dress shoes seem to have smaller toe boxes than casual shoes or tennis shoes. I finally found some casual shoes that have a larger toe box and look okay with dress slacks. I rarely wear a dress or skirt because I cannot tolerate "dress shoes" for any length of time.

People get married in a tux and sneakers now! My daughter (and a lot of others) wore a sneakers (converse of course) to homecoming - both the boys and the girls - no aching feet and no walking barefoot on a nasty floor because their feet hurt.

Don't look down and you'll never know.

My sons whole wedding party wore flip flops......including bride and groom on their wedding cruise.

And they even came dressed like that for dinner in the main dining room.........imagine that:D:D:D:D

I have neuropathy in my feet and I can attest to the fact there is no such thing as a comfortable dress shoe if your feet hurt all the time. Dress shoes seem to have smaller toe boxes than casual shoes or tennis shoes. I finally found some casual shoes that have a larger toe box and look okay with dress slacks. I rarely wear a dress or skirt because I cannot tolerate "dress shoes" for any length of time.

Actually, my bad. I meant non sneaker, not necessarily dress shoe. I've yet to find a dress shoe that I haven't had to break in :mad:. Casual shoes/loafers, etc. were more what I had in mind.

And if I had feet problems, you'd find me in slippers (but do have a preference to bare feet :D!)

Actually, my bad. I meant non sneaker, not necessarily dress shoe. I've yet to find a dress shoe that I haven't had to break in :mad:. Casual shoes/loafers, etc. were more what I had in mind.

And if I had feet problems, you'd find me in slippers (but do have a preference to bare feet :D!)

Trust me - if I could get by with it at work, I would be bare footed:)

If my child had a medical issue that made sneakers necessary I would allow them. I'd just try to make sure they were nice new looking ones, not grundgy ones and not worry about what anyone else thought of it.

Otherwise they would be wearing dress shoes. Even though they changed the wording from formal to elegant night, I don't think tennies are elegant. LOL

Can my 14 year old son wear tennis shoes (sneakers) on formal night with his slacks and polo shirt if needed? Thanks!

The answer to your question can be found on Carnival's site.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

faq.gifspacer.gif What to Wear? spacer.gif Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

I know he's not a teen, but remember when David Letterman used to always wear tennis shoes with his double breasted suits?

I think for a 14 year old that would be fine. As a photographer I would just have him slip them off & be in his socks before any pictures. I have a 9 year old that hates dress shoes. I did find some at a store called Shoe Show that he actually likes. They were in the Men's dept as he is in a 8.5, yes I said he was nine!!!!LOL

The answer to your question can be found on Carnival's site.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

faq.gifspacer.gif What to Wear? spacer.gif Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

LOL! Back from your beer break:confused::D

Absolutely let him wear them.

As for the person who said the child would be more comfy eating on the Lido........get a life! This mother knows what is most comfortable for her child. She did not need your unsolicited opinion.

Sometimes we feel like dressing formal sometimes we tone it down a bit. ManHo has been known to wear his chucks or his Ed Hardy low tops with his tux and often gets tons of compliments. He has also worn a leather type blazer with some of his funky music patches and that has also been a hit.

Enjoy your cruise.

That may be satisfying to you, but what does HE think?

Have I done something to you? Is there some reason in trying to start an arguement about something that does not apply to this topic? I was trying to make a cute statement about how David Letterman used to wear tennis shoes with his suits, not poke a fight. Had I known my silly comment would have brought out a flamer I would have kept the comment to myself. The OP asked a question I thought my post may help it was not directed at you. I get so tired of time & time again others having to flame for innocent remarks. This board is supposed to be here to help others. If you have a debate about The Letterman show maybe you need to check the boards over on CBS.

Let your son wear whatever he is comfortable in. Go and have fun. Don't worry what any of the self-appointed fashion police may think. You don't know those people, you never have to see them again. What will matter are the good memories that your family is making. If wearing tennis shoes will make him, and you, happy, then that is what he should wear.

Have fun....and please give the boards a chance. There are a lot of really nice people here.

Have I done something to you? Is there some reason in trying to start an arguement about something that does not apply to this topic? I was trying to make a cute statement about how David Letterman used to wear tennis shoes with his suits, not poke a fight. Had I known my silly comment would have brought out a flamer I would have kept the comment to myself. The OP asked a question I thought my post may help it was not directed at you. I get so tired of time & time again others having to flame for innocent remarks. This board is supposed to be here to help others. If you have a debate about The Letterman show maybe you need to check the boards over on CBS.

Lighten up. It was a non sequitor joke that I didn't think anyone would take quite so personally. And no, I don't know you nor have you done anything to me.

And if it really needs explaining, I have no idea why they chose Jay over Dave.

Lighten up. It was a non sequitor joke that I didn't think anyone would take quite so personally. And no, I don't know you nor have you done anything to me.

And if it really needs explaining, I have no idea why they chose Jay over Dave.

Maybe next time when making a comment in humor or a joke one might consider adding a LOL or something to that effect to show it is a joke. Since we can't hear people on the boards sometimes it is hard to tell in written form whether someone is joking or serious. To me it came across as my comment being attacked. If I'm wrong I'm sorry.

Let your son wear whatever he is comfortable in. Go and have fun. Don't worry what any of the self-appointed fashion police may think. You don't know those people, you never have to see them again. What will matter are the good memories that your family is making. If wearing tennis shoes will make him, and you, happy, then that is what he should wear.

Have fun....and please give the boards a chance. There are a lot of really nice people here.

Sure wish there was an applause smilie here - this post deserves a huge applause!!!

I can attest to the fact there is no such thing as a comfortable dress shoe if your feet hurt all the time.
Nunn Bush has some shoes that you should try. I have a pair of their patent leather dress shoes that are ultra comfortable and very lightweight.

to JKerstie,

I too have a son with autism. He and his brothers will be wearing sneakers to formal night. Sorry everyone, but we will be tacky.

Have you checked out "Autism on the seas"? you can visit their website at autismontheseas.com We had the pleasure of sailing with them last year. We would be again except their schedule and ours don't match. We had a wonderful time. And we were excluded from the dress code. We had our own dining room with our own entrance and noone even saw us. We had lots of extras that were included with the price of the cruise. The TA who started AOS has not worked with Carnival yet, but he is working on getting us some of the VIP things we got traveling with him even though it is not an AOS cruise. Check them out.

Archived