Go Ashore in Belize or Roatan?

Luvsnorkeling

OH MY.. Roatan ALL THE WAY. We just got off Legend last week. Roatan is AMAZING. Plus the barrier reef is SO close. You can snorkel out to where the scuba divers are from the Bananarama Resort. Take cab $5/person each way and you'll be amazed. Like swimming in a fish tank. Belize is much poorer and larger country. There are private islands that you can water taxi too, but it's not as good as Roatan. Plus Roatan only can have one ship at a time so it's not very crowded.

Sunrise over Roatan...

http://image74.webshots.com/74/7/33/37/2387733370104984637NlQqSZ_fs.jpg

Do Both~!!! It's what you paid for. Even if you only get off for a few hours and get a cab to drive you around, you owe it to yourself to do some exploring. You may be surprised at what you experience.

roatan for snorkeling, it is fantastic, not too far from the ship and the taxi drivers are great, ours waited for us as we only had the morning there. it is safe snorkeling from the beach. Belize is interesting to walk around the town, it is poor but the people are lovely. just walk round the corner from the cruise ship and take a speed boat out to key caulker. you will have a fantastic day, the ride there is fantastic and the place is just like a paradise island, you can snorkel or just sit in one of the bars next to the water. it is great, enjoy!!!!:D

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with the rest- Roatan. You dock there and can walk right off. The snorkelling is great [however, snorkelling in Belize is supposed to be great also] The island of Roatan is beautiful. And you have the whole day, instead of a few hours.

If you decide to do both or just Belize, I think I would book a ship sponsored trip-that way you can skip the whole tendering process and go straight from the ship to the snorkelling site.

If you can do both, it would be well worth it.

If you are really going to choose just one, then Roatan. Go to Fins and Flippers. It is 5 minutes from the dock and is a beautiful private island with a nice beach, a nice pool, great food, great people and fantastic snorkeling!

My F&F pictures are here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rclewen/Day4RoatanHonduras?feat=directlink

BUT... you really should go ashore in Belize even if it is just to walk around the cruise village at the pier. The tendering process was easy and it is about a 12 minute boat ride. If you're not rushing to meet a tour you can let the bulk of the crowd go ahead of you and go to sure at your leisure.

There is good snorkeling in Belize as well. Some folks from our roll call went with Coral Breeze and had a great time.

By all means, do both ports!! Not much to see around the dock area in either port, but would definitely go to Tabyana in Roatan for some fantastic snorkeling right from the beautiful beach, and go into the interior in Belize to see some fantastic Mayan ruins like Altun-ha, Lamanai or Xuantunich.......that way you have seen a little of both places and had two different experiences.......Belize and Roatan are the two highlights of the Western Caribbean itineraries.....don't miss either one of them.....

Our cruise will be very port intensive so we're thinking we may stay on board the ship in either Belize or Roatan. If you could only visit one place (especially for snorkeling), which would it be?

By far, ROATAN is the best place to snorkel off the beach. We went through Cynthia & Diane and were able to stop along the way and shop & take pictures. The beach in front of Bananrama is fantastic! They offer happy hour at 7 AM for a few hours and we had the best $2.50 rum and banana drinks ever! The reef is right there and the snorkeling is awesome! My favorite port so far!!!

PS. No one takes travelers checks...bring cash!

I would do both. They are both great stops! Roatan is fabulous. My family of 14 went and we all did about 4-5 different things, and we all loved what we did. We have decided to go back to Roatan and spend a week there, just fly in and stay. We all loved it that much.

Belize is incredible. The country side is so beautiful and the water is the most insane color of blue/green/clean heavenly site ever. I could never choose between the two, I loved them both so much. You should experience the beauty of both ports.:)

For less active, inexperienced snorklers such as I, The other side of the island is not far. I had heard of a place there and 4 of us had a great time. It was like walking in an aquarium with medium sized fish chasing small fish in and out of the coral. The water was only knee deep and so clear you could barely see it!:D

There were several places on that bay. Saw a kayak tour go by and stop at a resort on the other side of the bay.

Do both! I've only been to Belize, but will be visiting Roatan next year. I can't imagine not getting off the ship at any port since I'm paying for it. I've never encountered a horrible tendering process and I just couldn't let that ruin any part of my vacation.

In Belize we did the Lamani River Safari with lunch and it was wonderful!

Archived