Tours and Activities on stop overs

lynchie

My family and friends are going on a cruise in May 2009 we are deciding on what to do at the stop overs that everyone would enjoy and not break the bank, Taking this into account we also have 2x 4yrs olds and a 1yr old to look after. Anyone have suggestions for us or advice.

Our day stops options are

Whitsundays

Yorkeys Knob

Port Douglas

Another question regarding Whitsundays where do you dock?

Thanks for your help (in advance)

Hi Lynchie,

Have you got your tickets yet, if so there should have been a shore tours book in the folder, if not jump on to P&os website and look up the tours available there, theres heaps to choose from, with docking in the whitsundays you dont,you anchor out in the middle of the channel, if you dont do any tours there, you dont get off, (nothing to get off on to), but very pretty to look at, thats how it was the last time i was there,

hope ive helped,

Cheers,

Cocktails:).

My family and friends are going on a cruise in May 2009 we are deciding on what to do at the stop overs that everyone would enjoy and not break the bank, Taking this into account we also have 2x 4yrs olds and a 1yr old to look after. Anyone have suggestions for us or advice.

Whitsundays

Yorkeys Knob

Port Douglas

Hi Lynchie,

All three of your ports are 'tender ports' as there is no deep harbour that the cruise ship can tie up to a wharf in. The ship will be at anchor off shore and you will use the ship's tenders (lifeboats) to tender ashore to a dock or marina.

At Whitsundays the ship anchors about 1 nautical mile off Airlie Beach, and the ship's tenders take you ashore to Able Point Marina.

I'm not sure where the tenders will go ashore at Yorkey's Knob or Port Douglas as when we did this cruise we tied up at the Cairns Cruise Terminal for 2 days, rather than achoring at Yorkey's Knob and Port Douglas.

Hi Lynchie,

All three of your ports are 'tender ports' as there is no deep harbour that the cruise ship can tie up to a wharf in. The ship will be at anchor off shore and you will use the ship's tenders (lifeboats) to tender ashore to a dock or marina.

At Whitsundays the ship anchors about 1 nautical mile off Airlie Beach, and the ship's tenders take you ashore to Able Point Marina.

I'm not sure where the tenders will go ashore at Yorkey's Knob or Port Douglas as when we did this cruise we tied up at the Cairns Cruise Terminal for 2 days, rather than achoring at Yorkey's Knob and Port Douglas.

Thanks Sky, Does this mean you cant get off if you arent going anywhere?

I was under the impression that you could get on and off the boat through out the day when ever you wanted?

Now im really confused

Thanks Sky, Does this mean you cant get off if you arent going anywhere?

I was under the impression that you could get on and off the boat through out the day when ever you wanted?

Now im really confused

No, you can come and go from the ship as you please, just as if you were tied up to a wharf. It's just not as simple as walking off the ship though!

Early in the day they will operate ticket system where you'll have to go to one of the lounges and get a ticket and then wait for that ticket number to be called. Once the bulk of people are off through, they'll call 'open tender' when you can just go down to the tender platform and wait for the next tender. If you have a booked shore tour through P&O, you'll be told to assemble in one of the lounges at a nominated time, and will be directed to a tender to take you ashore to your shoreside transportation.

At the Whitsunday's and problably at Port Douglas too, there might be a seperate tender service to one of the Island resorts.

At the Whitsunday's the tender trip is about 20 minutes each way (quicker if you can get on one of the hired catamarans that supplement the ship's tenders). Not sure about the travel times at Yorkeys Knob or Port Douglas.

Whitsundays

Yorkeys Knob

Port Douglas

hi lynchie, in regards to the tender at Port Douglas you will be dropped off in town but at Yorkeys Knob you have to catch the tender into port and then you have to catch a shuttle bus or taxi into Cairns which is approx 30 minute drive from port.........

rkmw

Hi just wondering do you know about when the Pacific Sun stops at Cairns for 2 days there is a optional shuttle bus to Port Douglas on the 2nd day, is this free or if you have to pay how much?

Thanks Rgards Carol

Hi just wondering do you know about when the Pacific Sun stops at Cairns for 2 days there is a optional shuttle bus to Port Douglas on the 2nd day, is this free or if you have to pay how much?

Thanks Rgards Carol

The transfers to Port Douglas are free, but are only offered on the second day in Cairns. The transfer is approx 90 mins each way. Here is the details from our cruise in January;

Cairns - Port Douglas

8.00 am (48 passengers)

8.30 am (96 passengers)

9.00 am (96 passengers)

9.30 am (96 passengers)

10.00 am (48 passengers)

Port Douglas - Cairns

12.30pm (96 passengers)

1.00pm (96 passsengers)

1.30pm (48 passengers)

2.00pm (48 passengers)

2.30pm (48 passengers)

GOOD NEWS my tickets have arrived:D, very exciting, there is heaps of infor about tours there, but i still would look at doing own thing.

Is this a risk if i plan so dont miss the boat.:confused:

The advantage of booking P&O tours is that if the tour is delayed the ship will wait for you, the Shore Tour Manager keeps in contact with all the tour groups so is aware of delays etc.

If you organise a tour independantly and are delayed getting back for any reason, chances are the ship will sail without you.

Archived