Are many children on the ships during the "school year"?

gacat93

I haven't cruised before, but I've vacationed plenty in May and September and there were always lots of kids around. Less than during the summer, but still plenty of kids on vacation.

As others have said, many cities are on year-round school schedules now, and lots of kids are homeschooled, so that has changed the structure of the school year.

Went last year in November on Liberty, and if my little brothers hadn't been there telling us there were other kids on the ship, we would have never known.... It was like that movie where there are no children. A little erie to be quite honest. It's not vacation to me if there's not a parent within ear shot screaming at their kids! (we got to Disney A LOT...)

We must be one of those horrible parents who take their kids out of school for a cruise. Not only is it educational, but its a family bonding time. My DS, 11, will be taken out of school for a week. I almost felt bad for it, but the price to take him during the summer was out of the question. We want him to experience somethiing wonderful and getting to see new countries and cultures. Ill just see if the teacher will let him write a report about it. DONT FEEL BAD FOR TAKING KIDS OUT OF SCHOOL TO CRUISE!!!

We've taken our children out of school for the last few years to take a winter vacation. Our school's do not take a 'spring break' therefore, we've created our own. Our children's teachers are very understanding and will let the kids make up their work even before they go on vacation. So, they are not missing much, and in fact, like previously mentioned, learning life lessons by visiting other countries and cultures.

Our kids will be fine and as far as I know, I'm not breaking any type of international law by taking my children out of school for 5 days. Geez. :p

We're taking our kids out of school for a cruise in May. One is just in preschool, and the other two are great students. I imagine we'll have to put up with a bunch of grumpy folks that have forgotten the joys of vacationing with children, or who would rather have the ship to themselves as though they've somehow earned that...and I guess we'll just have to put up with them:) LOL! Hey, at least you won't have to yell at my kids to "get off your lawn":D

We have three children ages 19, 17, and 13.

We have taken them out of school every year in October for a holiday for a week, and have had nothing but best wishes from teachers. They get homework to take with them, and have never fallen behind.

We are fortunate enough to have had the ability, and the desire to travel with our kids and show them another part of life.

We as a family have many wonderful memories of our fall holidays, and will continue to do so.

I feel sorry for attitudes like some on this thread, and wish them well in their travels. Maybe they can go to an adult only holiday if they feel that bitter about sharing their holiday with children, and not attempt to ruin ours should I run into you .

Cheers!:)

Sounds like child abuse to me...taking them out of school to go on a cruise where they will learn absolutely nothing at all...jk.

I hope you're joking...

We really must stop worshipping at the altar of the public school system. I’ve seen no evidence that a child will miss very much at all if they miss a week or so. And before you flame me, I realize that it is not completely the system's fault. By design, they are required to teach to the lowest common denominator, class sizes are too large, and teachers' ability to discipline has been all but eliminated.

Disclaimer: My children are now home schooled after four years in public school.

Take your kids out of school for the vacation, enjoy it, and teach them something they can't learn sitting in a classroom.

I take my kids every January on a cruise, and they have plenty of friends to play with.. They are 11 and 9. There are kids on board at this time, but not a whole lot... We love to cruise at this time of the year just for that fact!

I believe you are conspiring to break international law. Cruise ship space during school sessions is reserved for those of us that wish to cruise WITHOUT the pleasure of enjoying your beautiful children. Please cruise during school vacations when your children will have many companions.

If cruise ship space during school sessions is reserved for those of us that wish to cruise WITHOUT the pleaseure of enjoying your beautiful children as you stated, then I would like to know where that reservation is??

Please do not tell us when to cruise with our children, this is where your nanosecond began, with your original post telling us when to vacation.

I am real sorry if you do not enjoy children being present, usually <50, I guess I have been fortunate as to not have seen children being bad on any cruise or land based vacation, or maybe I am not looking for that.

Happy cruising!!

Perhaps those most offended have a reason to be...heeheehee.....not my kids!!!

I have three wonderful, respectful children in various age groups. They are wonderful, polite, and would never disrupt or be rude. Yeah right!!! Come on, kids are kids, and from time to time they can have "meltdowns". We have taken our kids on the last 3 cruises, but this time it just me and DH. I would never ask anyone to not take their child on a cruise with them, no, just keep an eye on them. If they do get a little crazy, then take them for a time out, re-focus on a learning experience, or whatever. I respect you, you respect me.....its all good.....

Take care all.......

Wow, people are so sensitive on here. Deep breaths parents, deep breaths.

I am a parent and I can completely understand what Dan was saying. My BF and I arranged our vacation to a time where kids (mainly college kids) would be in school because it's nice to have time away from the kiddos for a while. Whether it be little kid meltdowns or drunken college loudness, I'd like to go at a time when it's at a minimum. No offense intended to those bringing their children.

I am a parent and I can completely understand what Dan was saying. My BF and I arranged our vacation to a time where kids (mainly college kids) would be in school because it's nice to have time away from the kiddos for a while. Whether it be little kid meltdowns or drunken college loudness, I'd like to go at a time when it's at a minimum. No offense intended to those bringing their children.

Thanx for the band-aid.:)

Dan

Well said-I agree!!!!

I am a mother of 3, all 8 and under and I tend to agree with Dan. I could see he was teasing but also serious. I will be taking my kids out of school on Sept 24, 2009 (private school, ok'd by staff) as will my sister and sister in law BIG FAMILY CRUISE over 30 of us on the ship. We will be on the Fantasy out of NO....consider yourself warned!lol Compared to most kids today I believe ours are well behaved, I would be shocked to see one tantrum unless it came from the adults! We like cruisin' when most "college aged" kids are in "school" as the behaviour most, not all, have is not pretty (rude, vulgar, excessive drinking)...thankfully none of ours are that age yet :) ! I hate to see little "monsters" too! Too, bad there aren't any "adults" only cruises (and i'm not interested in the "nude cruise" lol)...I would love it for dh and I!

I don't remember anybody telling people to NOT bring their kids during the school year......(other than faciously)

Like I said earlier when I tried to help answer the specific question this thread was started for, we prefer to cruise with the LEAST possible kids on board.(Sept. and Jan.)

That is a choice, just like those who are inclined to bring their kiddies along.

Some of the parents in this thread need to get a grip....

Bill

Archived