Visiting Grosse-Île from Quebec City

I know there is lots to do in Quebec City and the options have been discussed in many posts - but I have never seen anything about Grosse-Île.

We are considering taking the boat trip from Quebec City to Grosse-Île, but would really appreciate some input from anyone who has been there.

The Parks Canada website http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/qc/grosseile/index_e.asp advises spending 4hrs there and the website of the company that offers the boat tour to Grosse-Île http://www.croisierescoudrier.qc.ca says the tour does stay there for 4hrs.

This seems a little long to me.

I'm wondering what there is to do at the site for that length of time - is there lots to see/do? Trails to walk? I'm not interested in spending time sitting in a cafe. Is this a destination suited for a visit regardless of the weather? or only suited to fair weather day?

Any specific advice re Grosse-Île would be greatly appreciated.

Grosse Ile is a fascinating place, and 4 hours is not too much. There are 3 parts to the island--West, Central and East. You will arrive at the West End where most of the surviving immigration buildings are. You will be met by costumed guides and given a tour of the facilities and that end of the island (including the memorial site). This is a walking tour and takes about an hour and a half or so.

There is then a break for lunch--you can eat in a cafeteria or picnic if you have brought a lunch.

After lunch, there is a guided tour of the Central part of the island, a village which formerly housed all the staff, and the Eastern part where the hospital wards were located (there is one remainining from the 1840's). This tour is on a mini-train which stops at various sites along the island.

Following this, you are returned the wharf to board your boat and return.

Parks Canada has done a tremendous job in bringing this very important historic site alive.

As for weather, as much of the tour requires walking outside, a sunny day would certainly be better. However, I would not miss a visit because of a bit of rain.

Archived