PEI Renting a car?

In October we'll be visiting PEI on NCL Jewel. I've always dreamed of going there, since I'm a big fan of the Anne of Green Gables series. The NCL excursions are quite expensive though, and while I don't mind paying the fare for myself, it's high for my husband and VERY high for my three year old, who probably won't appreciate it. I was thinking that a more economical way of seeing the Cavendish area might be to rent a car in Charlottown. This would allow us to move at our own pace (I also have a 10 month old son we're travelling with) and I think will work out less expensive with just the car rental fee and the small fee to visit any location we go to.

Has anyone rented a car in PEI? Does anyone know if any of the car rental locations are within walking distance of the pier, if any of the car rental places offer a shuttle to the pier, or how much it will cost for a taxi to/from the car rental place?

Any information would be helpful. Thank you!

In October we'll be visiting PEI on NCL Jewel. I've always dreamed of going there, since I'm a big fan of the Anne of Green Gables series. The NCL excursions are quite expensive though, and while I don't mind paying the fare for myself, it's high for my husband and VERY high for my three year old, who probably won't appreciate it. I was thinking that a more economical way of seeing the Cavendish area might be to rent a car in Charlottown. This would allow us to move at our own pace (I also have a 10 month old son we're travelling with) and I think will work out less expensive with just the car rental fee and the small fee to visit any location we go to.

Has anyone rented a car in PEI? Does anyone know if any of the car rental locations are within walking distance of the pier, if any of the car rental places offer a shuttle to the pier, or how much it will cost for a taxi to/from the car rental place?

There are a few car rental companies in Founders Hall right near the Terminal but they are not open on Sunday. We rented from Budget. They picked us up at the pier when we arrived. You should reserve beforehand. Just go their websites and choose Charlottetown PEI.

I've never rented a car there, but we've driven all over the island and didn't have a problem. One thing to remember, the traffic is VERY heavy on the north side, so give yourself lots of time.

Viv

I've never rented a car there, but we've driven all over the island and didn't have a problem. One thing to remember, the traffic is VERY heavy on the north side, so give yourself lots of time.

Viv

I would be surprised if traffic is very heavy in October - tourist season is mostly July and August. I have only rented at the airport so can't help regarding the pier. I can share that I found this a really easy island to drive around on. Other drivers are courteous and people you stop will gladly give you directions.

I agree that traveling with a young child this is most likely the best option for you. Don't forget to reserve a car seat at the same time you reserve the car.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived