4 Tests--Discover Scuba

mellowmanca

Hi,

I read that for the discover scuba program you watch a video, and then do four tests in 10 feet of water. What are these four tests? Does everyone pass these tests?

When instructing a scuba class we teach more than 4 "Tests" or skills but this would be my main goals in a "short" course

1 - Mask clearing

2 - regulator retrieval

3 - regulator clearing

4 - buoyancy control

Then you could add a controlled descent, Alternate air sharing, controlled ascent, emergency ascent. I would suggest you get your hands on an open water handbook and read the whole thing before any discover scuba class. Reading the book would at least make you aware of potential problems and solutions before, during and after the dive.

mellowmanca,

It has been ten years since I did a Discover Scuba (actually they didn't have Discover Scuba back then). Even if I could remember what they taught me it would probably be different now.

Discover Scuba is pretty basic. Reading the Open Water handbook would be overkill. If you trust the instructor and you don't have any problems with the tests you'll be fine.

The tests are just to see if you weren't taking the training seriously. Just remember that failing to follow what they teach you can kill you. Humans were not designed to exist underwater. One small mistake could kill you or result in hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses.

They want to make sure you (a) were paying attention and (b) won't panic. So long as you pay attention and don't panic you will pass.

The test will put you in a situation where if you do panic it will not result in death or serious injury.

If you are comfortable in water or you have done snorkeling, you'll be fine.

Archived