Possible CC Group Cruise to Alaska, June 22, 2010 Aboard Carnival Spirit

dsb9938

did you see what is happening to the glaciers? the methane lake? the destroyed permafrost?

i think it is going to be important to get there, and get there fast. next june cannot get here fast enough.

I think you're correct!

Still, the meaning is the same.

LOL :D

Ya, but if you were pouring soda, you would have been made official already, soda pours pretty fast.

this is more like molasses in the winter time LOL

MySpace-Molasses-1.gif

Hang in there...

I hope the glaciers are still there after we finally get our pricing info!!

;)

We may need a significant hike inland. The permafrost is no longer appropriate to its name - a chunk of it is turning to toxic bog. Of course, diminishing ice fields means that polar bears are just wandering into areas of civilization. They need to hunt and survive, so we may not need to worry about what is on our menu. We may BE the menu.

I'm pretty sure we'll be safe, LOL. :D

And I agree, pretty soon, there may be very little left.

which is why it is important to see it NOW.

i printed out several possibilities for side trips (description, cost, time, etc) and handed them over to the dh. our possibility list is down to 3-4 for skagway, juneau, and ketchikcan. that is a dramatic improvement over the initial possibilities list.

two possible bummers: bears will not be as easy to spot without the salmon running at their zenith. the aurora borealis shows up best after september. both of these can be rectified with a follow up land based trip.

the GREAT news is that DH is leaning towards being danged adventurous. with some more consideration and chewing of the fat we should have a plan soon.

It is amazing to see how fast the Mendenhall glacier has been melting. There is a platform where the glacier used to be. When I was there in 04, it was way back, (I am not good with distance, maybe 200=300 feet away). They said this happened very quickly.

The Alaska brewing company is also in Juneau. The rail thingy that goes up the side of the mountain is really cool. You get some great shots of the water and ship from there. There is a bird sactuary for eagles or something up there. As soon as I figure out/remember how, I can post some photos of the Spirit as well as Alaska if any one is interested.

-sm

:)

It is amazing to see how fast the Mendenhall glacier has been melting. There is a platform where the glacier used to be. When I was there in 04, it was way back, (I am not good with distance, maybe 200=300 feet away). They said this happened very quickly.

The Alaska brewing company is also in Juneau. The rail thingy that goes up the side of the mountain is really cool. You get some great shots of the water and ship from there. There is a bird sactuary for eagles or something up there. As soon as I figure out/remember how, I can post some photos of the Spirit as well as Alaska if any one is interested.

-sm

:)

ohhhhh, yes! pictures! :p

Okay guys, I will try:

Remind how to post using photo bucket.

Thanks!

Sharon

Copy the bottom code from photo bucket photo, and paste it right in this same place where you type your message ;)

Then you get, the whole photo, not just a thumbnail :p

Or do a slide show, and post it in your Signiture area,

and it will come up everytime you post :O)

Here was our first towel animal:

IM000183.jpg

Let me try to sneak a couple more in (I am at work today).

My brother and his kids live in Ketchikan. That was our first port. I had not seen my brother in about 3 years or so and wanted to spend as much time as possible with him. He took us on a personal tour of Ketchikan. We went to some of the places that the excursions go, but we had our own guide, minus the crowds (and much cheaper!).

When you get to Ketchikan, you make a left to go to my brother's house (Ketchikan is not a large place.) If you put you back towards my brother's house. This is what he pretty much looks at everyday:

IM000182.jpg

My niece, Jordan:

IM000185.jpg

Archived