Helmet Dive in Cabo

royerhouse

Can anyone give me info on the specifics of this excursion (activity level, how you enter the water, safety, wetsuit or swimsuit?, etc.)? I'm particularly interested in whether or not mild physical impairments (bad knees, overweight, mild stroke damage) would prohibit our party from participating.

I have not done the helmet walk, but I have done the Bob's scooters dive.. they are so fun...

You just drive the scooters underwater.. you wear a swimsuit.. no wet suits... your only like 20 feet underwater... and the water is very warm...

i have bad feet too.. and it was so much fun..

I know one person who did the helmet walk and she said it was so easy and fun... I think you could do it without any problems...

I too am a large size lady... so don't even worry about that...

Hope this helps you plan a fun vacation time..

It does depend on when you go as to how warm the water is. Now until June is the coldest of the year, in the 60's which is really, really cold. We have friend who have done the helmet dive and really enjoyed it in October when the water is in the 80's. You get in the water from a boat. You can go over to the trip advisor site and click to the Cabo forums. Do a search for tjride who is our friend. Once you find his profile, he has a video of the dive he and his wife did 2 years ago.

Edit- here is the link- http://www.tripadvisor.com/members-videos/tjride

Click on the Oceanus mini sub video.

The water in February is usually warmer than it is March-June when it is the coldest. I think it really depends on how warm you like it. For us, it has to be in the high 70's at least but we always see people snorkling no matter what time of year it is.

I have never heard of that company, sorry!

• 10 months later...

i have done helmet diving in Bermuda and it was the best! you are maybe about 12 feet under water, walking on the ocean floor. the Helmet is attached back to the boat and pumps air in so you can breath, and is also the weight to keep you from floating back up. in bermuda, the owner would go to the same spot so the fish all had names and did stuff like swimming through hoops and stuff, some even let us touch them. bring an underwater camera. you can do all this with out getting your hair wet!

My wife, 20 year old daughter and I did this Thanksgiving of '08 and it was too awesome. A boat takes you from the docks to the diving platform, you step down the steps of a ladder until the water is up to your neck and they place a HEAVY helmet on your head with an airhose attached. You go down the the last step and take a final step of three to four feet to the harbor floor (you are in sight of the cruise ships). You walk pre-set course with a couple mini activities (feeding fish, etc.). I would say only a significant health impairment would be a barrier. There was a little ten year old girl they had to add ankle weights to keep her from floating up!

I actually was the last one in the water and they let me jump in before putting on the helmet. I also got to pick up the helmet and it was VERY heavy...around 70 pounds.

HAVE FUN:D!!!

Archived