Best snorkeling/hiking in southern Caribbean?

Hello! My fiancé and I are first time cruisers and love to snorkel. We will be visiting St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua & St. Kitts during the week of May 3rd. We've heard a lot of good reviews about Coki beach and Cades reef and were wondering if anyone had any info about either? We want to make sure we get in some great hiking and snorkeling while on vacation. Any info you can give us nubies would be great! Thank you :)

We've taken a shuttle a couple times to Coki Beach and the snorkeling was pretty good. Nice beach and drinks and food available right there.

We also once did an excursion off the ship and took a snorkel excursion boat to Trunk Bay at nearby St. Johns. It was very good. But if you are looking for decent snorkeling on the cheap, Coki Beach is the way to go.

We also went this past December and snorkeled as part of island tour at a beach right between the twin Pitons. That spot had a marine reserve and very good snorkeling as well.

Have a great time. :)

Thank you for the info! I'm going to research excursions heading out to Payne's Bay. Is this place far from port? Trunk bay sounds familiar, I'm going to look into that as well. Thank you both for all the info I'm a first time cruiser and need all the help I can get. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is last minute, but I just stumbled across this post. In Dominica, I Highly recommend Levi Baron. Website is bumpiingtours.com and email is levibaron@bumpiingtours.com. We took a tour with him in Nov.08 and Dominica is a perfect place for you to hike. You could even get some decent snorkeling in at Champagne Reef (it bubbles like Champagne). Levi was wonderful and the island is perhaps the most beautiful I've ever been on...Enjoy!!!

Hello and thank you for the reply! Best part is I have as of yesterday booked a tour with Levi on Bumping tours. Your reply has helped me confirm that I made the right decision! That's a great feeling :) I will tell him you said hello with a great review. Have a nice night :)

I know this is last minute, but I just stumbled across this post. In Dominica, I Highly recommend Levi Baron. Website is bumping tours.com and email is levibaron@bumpiingtours.com. We took a tour with him in Nov.08 and Dominica is a perfect place for you to hike. You could even get some decent snorkeling in at Champagne Reef (it bubbles like Champagne). Levi was wonderful and the island is perhaps the most beautiful I've ever been on...Enjoy!!!

Hello! My fiancé and I are first time cruisers and love to snorkel. We will be visiting St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua & St. Kitts during the week of May 3rd. We've heard a lot of good reviews about Coki beach and Cades reef and were wondering if anyone had any info about either? We want to make sure we get in some great hiking and snorkeling while on vacation. Any info you can give us nubies would be great! Thank you :)

The best snorkeling we've had in St. Thomas, Barbados and St. Kitts has all been on day sail excursions. In St. Thomas book a day sail on a sailboat - Google "St. Thomas Day Sail" and consider the Rumbaba as it's the best we've taken. In Barbados if there is room available book the Silver Moon private excursion, in St. Kitts the Fan-ta-sea ship sponsored excursion - a bit crowded but great snorkeling and lots of fun! In St. Lucia the best we've seen is at the beach between the Pitons (Jaloise beach) but it is hard to get too - best bet is a full day island tour with a stop there - lots of tour guides are discussed on the St. Lucia forum.

Not familiar with the other islands.

Archived