rooms with fridges

comet1

Our JS and our kids 9th floor inside cabin both had fridges in them. There was some space on the second shelf that I used to keep four Pepsi's on after picking some up in port. I've seen others posts that you can have the mini bar emptied and use it as a fridge for your personal items.

I've heard that if you want to empty the fridge it best to put the contents up on a shelf somewhere instead of having them take the contents out of the room. I guess some people have been charged for the entire content of the fridge at the end of the cruise. Then you can just put everything back at the end of the cruise and not worry about charges.

The mini fridges don't really keep things "cold". If you want cold drinks, you'd be better to pack a collapsable cooler (or get a cheap styrofoam one from a grocery/drug store in the port city), and have the room steward fill it with ice each day. We did, and it worked out perfectly.

Lynne

I've heard that if you want to empty the fridge it best to put the contents up on a shelf somewhere instead of having them take the contents out of the room. I guess some people have been charged for the entire content of the fridge at the end of the cruise. Then you can just put everything back at the end of the cruise and not worry about charges.

The items in the fridge set on sensors that are supposed to automatically charge the room when you remove the item. At least they were on our cruise. Taking everything out would trip every sensor in the fridge. You'd trip it again each time you removed your own beer. It could be a rather expensive trip if you did everything yourself.

The cabin steward would have to make sure the sensors where disconnected in order that they didn't automatically charge you every time you removed something. The second shelf had an area with no sensors on it that would hold for cans. I just used that area for my soda's. I still watched my bill on RCI TV to make sure nothing extra showed up on the bill.

Re/ fridge sensors, have heard a lot about them on this board but have never personally seen them in any cabin I've ever stayed in. We just got back from the Mariner (had a balcony cabin on deck 9) and the first thing I did after meeting our steward was ask her to remove all items from the fridge so I would have room for my own things. Jokingly said to her that I hoped the "invisible" sensors wouldn't cause me to be charged every time I moved anything in the fridge and she told me that there weren't any, and never had been. She emptied the fridge and put everything on a shelf in the cabin as she said she didn't have anywhere outside our cabin to store it.

Tanker

My understanding is that the sensors were being constantly set-off by the moving seas, and so sensor-activated mini-bars are no longer used on cruise ships. Has anyone seen one in the last few months?

I was on the EOS this past February, and asked the same thing to our cabin steward, he said that there werent any or they were no longer used. I think he said that there wasent any sensors in the fridge.

and i use the term "Fridge" loosely!!! it no way keeps anything COLD, maybe cool, or room temp. Ice in a cooler works much better.

Archived