Sky suites? help me decide...

sheilb4

I have been reading a lot of the posts regarding these suites...

Does anyone have experience with a particular cabin...I have been offered #1200, 1201, 1204 or 1205..which of these would you recommend? or are there others I would benefit from waiting for a vacancy?

And Royal Suites? are the balconies that much smaller than the Sky?

Need to make a decision but need your expert help!

sheilb4,

I'm winging it here, but if the ship is the Century, I would avoid 1200 and 1201.

They are smaller and have smaller balconies. I don't think they are considered "sky suites" any more. The othe two would be fine.

If it's another Century-class ship, I know the balcony sizes differ, and I hope you get more responses / advice.

Jack

Having just returned from 12 days in Galaxy Sky Suite 1218, I'd say look at the deck plans and pick one with a larger balcony, but with a cut-out on either the forward or aft side (1218 has one aft; the suite just forward of ours--1212?--has the cut-out on the forward side). The cut-out gives a more open feeling when on the balcony. I'd also suggest being forward of the stack if possible, to minimize soot fall-out on your balcony, table, and chairs.

Having just returned from 12 days in Galaxy Sky Suite 1218, I'd say look at the deck plans and pick one with a larger balcony, but with a cut-out on either the forward or aft side (1218 has one aft; the suite just forward of ours--1212?--has the cut-out on the forward side). The cut-out gives a more open feeling when on the balcony. I'd also suggest being forward of the stack if possible, to minimize soot fall-out on your balcony, table, and chairs.

I am in 1215 in February. Who was your butler and what did you think of the service he provided?

That black stuff coming out of the stack comes back to earth somewhere, and, depending on the wind, it can be on your balcony and its furniture. Some mornings were fine, others the furniture had to be cleaned off. The assistant chief housekeeper said they had asked Celebrity to put some kind of awnings or covers over the balconies but were refused.

Santoso was our butler in Galaxy 1218. Young, very nice, but seemed a bit inexperienced. Indonesian, and told us all the other butlers are Indian. There are three butlers for the 24 Sky Suites on Sky Deck, so don't know who you will have, emccully. Santoso was very cordial and helpful, scolded us (good-naturedly) when we brought up our own coffee or tea from the Oasis, and handled all requests...but did not take initiative to offer or suggest things not asked for.

The white sling dining chairs and white tables on the balconies are pretty shopworn, with discolored slings and some ugly cigarette burns. Made sure the assistant chief housekeeper understood that suite passengers--even in the smallest suites--deserved better.

sheilb4,

1204 or 1205 on Century are outstanding skysuites and balconies.

My wife and I had 1203. No soot. Very nice. Biggest balconies at sea!

Jack

Take 1205. We've been in 1201 & 1203 and 1203 is a much better room (balcony is twice as big as 1201). Plus the odd numbers are port side which is nice.

Sheilb4, yes the verandas in the Royal Suites on Mercury and Century are smaller in size than the balconys in the Sky Suites. The difference is that the balconys for the Sky Suites are narrower, because of the small size of the Sky Suites, but extend out much further - with a portion uncovered.

The verandas for the Royal Suites are much longer, because of the much larger size of the Royal suites, but the width is less than the Sky Suites. We found that the verandas in our Royal Suite on Mercury as well as Century provided us with plenty of room, as well as privacy! On both occasions, we had two chairs and a table and two loungers on our veranda, and still had a lot of room.

We are looking forward to our Royal Suite on Century once again, when we board for the Feb. 19th. cruise.

Archived