Hair Dryer

I know that NCL provides guests with hair dryers, but for those of us with curly hair does anyone know if NCL is able to provide diffusers along with the hair dryer. I only ask because my boyfriend and I are to embark on a nearly two week cruise on the Spirit and a diffuser would be very helpful not to mention essential to avoid frizz! Also I was informed I will be unable to use my own with out tripping the fuses even if I bring it. Thank you for any advice.

I know that NCL provides guests with hair dryers, but for those of us with curly hair does anyone know if NCL is able to provide diffusers along with the hair dryer. I only ask because my boyfriend and I are to embark on a nearly two week cruise on the Spirit and a diffuser would be very helpful not to mention essential to avoid frizz! Also I was informed I will be unable to use my own with out tripping the fuses even if I bring it. Thank you for any advice.

I've never heard of a diffuser being available on board, but I could be wrong. Do you have the kind that can just be added to a regular dryer? If so, I'd recommend you bring it. The dryers are very good and with your added diffuser, I think you'l l be happy.

I think you should bring your own hair dryer and your own diffuser. I'm sure they don't supply diffusers.

I always bring my own hair dryer because I don't want to be surprised if what's in the cabin is not to my liking.

Enjoy your cruise.

I also have read that we are unable to use our personal hairdryers due to watts being to high, and the way I understand it the dryers on the Spirit are the hand held vaccuum cleaner looking ones that are attached to the wall. I am taking mine also, but I don't think we can use them.

But she is cruising on the Spirit, the ship built with 220v narrow gauge wiring for the Asian market. American hair dryers use far too many watts for that narrow gauge wiring.

I suggest she run to Walmart or another store and buy a dual voltage hair dryer and bring it. Most stores sell a dual voltage hair dryer. Buy a European-American adapter so she can plug her American plug to the European outlet. You know the two flat prongs to a two round prongs. The Spirit has one American outlet and one European outlet. Flip the switch on the hair dryer to 220v. Use the European outlet with the dual voltage hair dryer.

The watts won't matter using a 220v circuit.

And she will know she didn't blow the circuit breakers on the ship around her cabin. Plus she'll have a hair dryer that can be used anywhere she travels abroad with the correct adapter. Many of dual voltage hair dryers provide the adapters as well.

Its not a voltage issue as much as its a wattage issue. Those answering the phones are told the ship has a 110v American outlet.

Its the narrow gauge Asian wiring that was installed when the ship was built. While proper for their voltage, and okay for most American appliances, our hair dryers consume much much more than 500 watts, I have seen some that top 1800 watts.

They have the same story with European travel boards as well. Their narrow gauge wiring is the same with many of their hotels and homes.

But she is cruising on the Spirit, the ship built with 220v narrow gauge wiring for the Asian market. American hair dryers use far too many watts for that narrow gauge wiring.

I suggest she run to Walmart or another store and buy a dual voltage hair dryer and bring it. Most stores sell a dual voltage hair dryer. Buy a European-American adapter so she can plug her American plug to the European outlet. You know the two flat prongs to a two round prongs. The Spirit has one American outlet and one European outlet. Flip the switch on the hair dryer to 220v. Use the European outlet with the dual voltage hair dryer.

The watts won't matter using a 220v circuit.

And she will know she didn't blow the circuit breakers on the ship around her cabin. Plus she'll have a hair dryer that can be used anywhere she travels abroad with the correct adapter. Many of dual voltage hair dryers provide the adapters as well.

If you have a dual voltage hair dryer, do you still need to use the European-American adapter also?

American hair dryers use up to 1800 watts on the American circuit. The wiring won't support that many watts, and the circuit breakers are designed to flip at 500 watts.

Ohm's law applies to electrical circuits; it states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference or voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

Voltage V= Current I x Resistance R

or current I= Voltage V/ Resistance R

It stands to reason then that with more voltage and with the same resistance we need less current. This is Ohms Law.

The blow dryer on the Spirit was like a vacuum hose that blew lukewarm air on low. I have med length (past my shoulders) wavy hair and it was bad all week. I think the purified water made it too soft and I could do nothing with it, plan on updo's, hair bands, clips or ponytails.

I brought a dual wattage travel blow dryer and when I flipped it 220 it would only blow on low not on high.

If you look in the mirror here, you can see the blow dryer ry%3D400

Here is the hose of the blow dryer

ry%3D400

If you have a dual voltage hair dryer, do you still need to use the European-American adapter also?

I don't think you do.. I'm sure others will disagree. If it were such a big deal, don't you think NCL would have signs in the cabins explaining that? I'd venture to say that at least half the women on cruises take their own hair dryers.

I don't think you do.. I'm sure others will disagree. If it were such a big deal, don't you think NCL would have signs in the cabins explaining that?

On the Norwegian Spirit, NCL does have a sign in every cabin stating the 110 Volt receptacle is limited to MAX 500 WATTS and stating NO HAIR DRYER. As you can easily see in the photo below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=100933&d=1231130395

You can also see that there are three types of receptacles; two for 220 Volts and one for 110 Volts added later because it's not in the woodwork.

The Norwegian Spirit was initially built for Star Cruises as the Superstar Leo. The Star Cruises brand has never sailed one of their cruise ships to North America, and probably never will. The Asian ports and markets they planned to sail the Superstar Leo to used 220 Volts.

When you arrive at your cabin, and don't find a sign near the 110 Volt receptacle, blame an earlier passenger that removed it.

Use the 220 with a dual voltage hair dryer, not the 110 on the Spirit. As for the lady whose dual voltage hair dryer only operated at low, I have heard and read others claiming theirs operated on high. Maybe its defective.

As you can see in electricron's picture, the 110 was added later when she was transferred to the USA. NCL did not strip the ship of its narrow gauge wiring and rewired the ship. They only added enough wire to wire the added outlet.

I also wanted to add there have been many reviews saying they used their hair dryers on the 110 outlet, and have flipped the circuit breakers. It doesn't take long for maintenance to flip the breakers and provide electricity again, but up to seven cabins are affected.

While its possible you may use your hair dryer on the 110 circuit at some time during the day, there are seven cabins per circuit. If other cabins have other appliances plugged in, along with a few operating their hair dryers, the circuit breakers flip.

Have you ever had to plug a computer or a television set on another wall to avoid flipping the breakers? Moving over to another circuit in your house....or office.....

At my office a new manager attempted to move our three secretaries into one large office. After several flipped breakers, he had to move one of our secretaries into another office to avoid the flipped breakers. The problem wasn't the number of secretaries, it was the office electrical equipment.

The most you can use on the spirit for 110v applicances in the rooms is 600watts. But the last time i went i watched somebody use a 1800watt hair dryer with no problem running thru the socket on the in bathroom dryer. It was only a few minutes tho vs some people who use the blowdryer for 45minutes every shower.

Archived