What our family did in St. Martin

KAP

After two days of snorkeling beaches, we decided we wanted to play in some waves so on St. Maarten we took a taxi to Dawn beach. I really liked the taxi set up at the St. Maarten pier. Prices were clearly posted and they weren’t exorbitant. It was $6 dollars per person to Dawn beach and took about 15 or 20 minutes. We arranged with our driver to pick us back up for the same price. Dawn beach is very beautiful although there is a lot of development going on. Several restaurants were available. One of the time shares allows you to use its showers and bathrooms for free. Chairs and umbrellas are available for rent ($5 per chair and $5 for the umbrella). You can also rent boogie boards and snorkel equipment. Dawn beach definitely has waves, about 4 to 6 feet. When we got there no one was playing in the waves and when we started boogie boarding we drew a crowd. I don’t think boogie boarding is common in the Caribbean. It wasn’t the best boogie boarding I have experienced (Hawaii has better) but it was definitely fun and a good change for the kids. We saw only one topless sunbather and then only for a moment. You can also snorkel at Dawn beach. You have to get past the waves and the swells bounce you around a bit. There wasn’t a ton of fish but you could find enough to make it interesting. There were a few vendors selling trinkets but they were very nice and no trouble. One of the girls in our party got her hair braided which was a highlight for her. The grand parents in our party went to the beach right in Philipsburg (Great Bay Beach) by taking the water taxi. They had a great time swimming in the ocean and lying in the sun.

Thank you Kap for that great review! Our little family will be going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in May, and I think that sounds exactly like what we would like to do. After two other ports of water activities/snorkeling, my young son said that at our third stop he just really wanted to go to a nice beach and enjoy the surf and sand. Renting umbrellas, chairs, and boogeyboards and maybe even snorkeling a bit sounds just right. Can you tell me how long your family stayed at the beach, and about how much time you told your taxi-driver to come back in? Also was it very crowded?

Thank you for helping me decide what to do at this port!

We spent about 3 hours at the beach. It is only 15 or 20 minutes from the pier. We got there just a bit before 11 and had no problem finding chairs and an umbrella. All the chairs and umbrellas where at one end of the beach. No one was at the other end of the beach and I mean no one. There are two resturants at the end of the beach with the chairs. We asked the taxi driver to pick us up at 2 when he dropped us off in the morning. He was right there at 2.

Archived