Dove St Thomas, Kitts, Lucia & Dominica Questions

cruisin 07

Just returned from a Southern Caribbean Cruise. Dove these same ports last Apr with the same companies. Book all independent, all 2 tank dives, St Thomas was the only shore dives. Vis was unlimited last year. Not so this year. Was down to 25 ft on 1 dive with lost of particles in the water on every dive. Not sure from what but I couldn't use my flash/external strobe on any pics. Will be more than happy to answer any questions. Then I can tell you the dive operators I used and my reviews of them.

Hi Cruisin 07,

I'll be hitting most of those ports on my Southern Caribbean cruises on the Caribbean Princess in May and I'd love to know which operators you used and what you thought of them. We tried to dive in St. Lucia this past February but the dive was cancelled :( so I'd be especially interested in where you went there. We'll have another chance next month.

Sorry to hear the vis wasn't so great--it does seem to be hit or miss sometimes. How was your weather and the water temp?

--Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Dove with Island Divers that operate out of the Ti Kaye resort. They pick you up from the docks by boat, about a 30 min ride to the resort. Last yr 6 divers this yr only 3. They have a new boat that is really nice and set up for diving. Pick up is 8:30 am and they leave the resort at 3 pm. They offer a package that includes lunch or just the 2 dives. Nice to sit around after the dives and have a few drinks at the resort. 3.50 US for a beer. Steep but it is a resort. Professional operation, good equipment, will use them again. Last time drove Supermans Flight (70 Ft) and Grand Kaye (45 ft). This yr as well as last saw turtles. Make an effort to ensure the best dives, vis, current, etc. They went out of there way to ensure the best dive available. Temps were okay - did have a 3 mm shorty. That's all I needed both yrs.

Hope this helps, Larry

We dive with Kenneth's Dive Center in St. Kitts - we're springtime regulars with Kenneth and Vajai.

In Dominica, we have been with both Nature Island Dive in the south end of the island, and Cabrits Dive Center at the north end of the island - they were both great.

So what did you do....?

Wendy

In St Thomas I did 2 shore dives with Coki Beach Dive club. These are my first dives of the trip and the first since the last yr. So I prefer shore dives to start with. Have to get a taxi to Coki beach and back. They contract with the ships so ship excursions come first. They gave me options that I could live with so this wasn't a big issue for my dives.

The remaining 3 all pick up and drop you at the pier. They all went all out trying to give you a great dive experience.

In Dominica dove with Al Dive. Old small boat that's hard to get out of the water after your dive. Their pier was destroyed in a storm so you travel to board the boat to another pier. You stand up at the bow of the boat while they place the tank on you. Hard to do in rough seas.

St Kitts, dove with Prodivers. Love his dive boat. His equipment was the newest and in the best shape of the 4 companies I used. Also gave me a dive computer to use.

St Lucia, Island Divers already reviewed. There boat is new.

My ratings. Equipment: Pro Diver - just as good, Island Divers - then Coki

Club and Al Dive

Boats: Pro diver -not far behind, Island Divers and far behind

Al Dive

Professionalism and Safety: All good

All dives shops answered emails in a timely manner. As mentioned above I have dove with these shops both this yr and last yr.

These are just my opinions. Out of the 4 dive operators my favorites and best run are St Lucia - Island Divers and St Kitts - Prodivers.

Larry

Thanks Larry & Wendy--all very helpful. I won't be going to St. Kitts but we will be in St. Lucia, St. Thomas & Dominica and I'm trying to set this all up within the next week or so.

Wendy, did you have any preference between the two operators you used in Dominica? I'll have my own gear so that's not an issue but stuff like pick-up/drop-off, boat,# of divers, stuff like that?

Thanks again.

--Ellen

Ellen- It's all in the location - both operators were great, but Cabrits is north, and Soufriere is south.

If you are docking in Roseau, contact Karen at Nature Island Dive. http://www.natureislanddive.com

If you are docking Cabrits, contact Helen at Cabrits Dive Center. http://www.cabritsdive.com

Both have great boats, and NID typically returns to the dive center between dives.

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful time wherever you dive!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Which company did you use in St. Thomas? We will be there in October and would like to dive. We'll also have a day in Samana, Dominican Republic. We could dive there instead. Would you have any idea which place might be preferable to dive?

Thanks so much!

Archived