Admirality law

chloes nana

I just wondered what it actually states is all

This is one of the reasons legal advice on public boards like CC is so bad. On nebulous issues, such as those in Admiralty law, case law is more important than what "it actually states," whatever "it" may refer to.

Bill

But how? Try searching for it using the title and you won't find it because search won't go back past Aug 26. :confused:

Maybe I just got lucky? Using the SEARCH box at the very top of the page (the word SEARCH is in all caps, brownish-reddish color), I typed the phrase "admiralty law." Clicked the arrow. The top half of the next page looked like standard CC pages & maybe some ads. But the lower half were all links to message board threads. One I looked at was started in 2008, another one in 2006.

I'm no internet geek. I know how to get where I want to go & not a whole lot more. :o Hope this works for you. :)

Maybe I just got lucky? ...
Well, Admin's Announcement on Board Status ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=171&a=269 ) still says "Search is working for some things but results are not coming back prior to August 26, 2011" so I guess it is also working differently for different people. ;)

p.s. - when I do the Seach now, I find just this thread, because you used the words in a recent posting. When I did it before your post all I got was "Sorry, no matches ..."

But it means a newbie actually tried, and was able, to use the search function! ;)

Yes and should be applauded for doing so, at least IMHO. :)

BTW to add to the discussion it's more commonly referred to as "maritime law" as the Admiralty part is a throwback to the days when the British Admiralty ruled the waves.

Yhis is not correct with the recent legislation passed by the US Congress--

commit any crime on a US Citizen on a cruise ship even if it is in international waters and the FBI will charge you and prosecute.

BG

thx for the update.

Meanwhile i managed to find some info on it, but i`m not sure if this is still true, it`s from 2005 i guess:

"

The principal law under which the U.S. exercises its Special Maritime and Territorial Jurisdiction (SMTJ) is set forth in Section 7 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code. Under this statute, the U.S. has jurisdiction over crimes committed on a ship if:

1. the ship, regardless of flag, is a U.S.-owned vessel, either whole or in part, regardless of the nationality of the victim or the perpetrator;
  2. the crime occurs in the U.S. territorial sea (within 12 miles of the coast), regardless of the nationality of the vessel, the victim or the perpetrator; or
  3. the victim or perpetrator is a U.S. national on any vessel that departed from or will arrive in a U.S. port."

Source: http://www2.fbi.gov/congress/congress05/swecker121305.htm

P.M.: if i`m not allowed to link the source pls tell me and i`ll remove it.

Much more than that.

Some jurisdiction extends to contiguous zone (more than 12 miles!)

Some jurisdiction extends to incidents which can "affect" a port, notwithstanding where the event took place

Some issues can involve federal/state joint jurisdiction, and even maritime/common law joint governance

and so forth.....

Using Google, or even a law school textbook, can be terribly misleading by giving the "simple" version of issues.

Bill

Archived