What's the best tour/itnerary for Limon?

Becca76

I'm on a New Year's cruise and want to make sure I get the best tour for my stop here.

I want to zip line but the rafting looks great too.

Any suggestions would be great.

This is my first cruise and I want to have a great time.

No kids in my group, just 30 year olds.

I'm looking at doing snorkeling in Belize and probably the two oceans by rail in panama.

Thanks for any help. :)

I had been trying to find Oscar's website. Both look like they have good tours.

I'm torn between the zip-line and white water rafting here. I also want to see the wildlife, feeding the monkeys sounds fun. I would like time on a beach possibly too.

So much to do and so little time.

I guess I wonder what some of you all would pick as your first choice.

I've never zip-lined and think it will be a rush. I white water rafted once years ago here in the US.

Thanks again for all thoughts!:D

A lot of people on my cruise are combining Oscar's tours 1 and 2 for (I think) $105. This DOES look like the place for zip-lining. What are the others on your cruise doing at this port? I'm sure your decision will be the right one for you. Have fun.

This is a thought. I do not know what cruiseline you are on but I think they all have this one. it is the Eco cruise on the Tortugero Canal excursion through the ship and my DH and I thoroughly enjoyed that excursion. It was one of the best we have been on. You see sloths, monkeys, all kinds of birds, alligators. Just check your ships shore excursions and maybe they offer it. We were on Princess.

Marilyn

We are scheduled next week with Charlie at OkeyDokey tours for the Tortugero Canal tour $59.00pp whick also includes a tour of the countryside/holding sloth/monkey. Lunch on Bonita beach and a stop at a grocery store to pick up vanilla/coffee. He offers beer and soft drinks all during his tours. This is called his A-1 tour. He also offers ziplining which would be an additional cost.

I'd rate Charlie Soto of okeydokey as unreliable. I know first hand having just returned from the cruise today. He had promised before by email that his "best guide" would be with us. Instead all he did for us was coordinate with a local guide (unlicensed, untrained and not fluent in english) and driver at the port after he met us. The guide had worked exactly 2 times for Charlie before. In hindsight, I wish we had taken the tour with Oscar Brown.

just returned from Puerto Limon and did the A-1 tour with Charlie Soto. We had an excellent guide in Iron and driver with Marco. I would highly recommend his services. He met us at the pier a good 1/2 hour earlier than expected nad took a group of 8 of us on a tour lasting 7 hours and was sold as a 5 1/2 hour tour. They took us places that were not featured in the A-1 tour literature, went out of their way to ensure that everyone was satisfied. Paying cash at end was no problem. When I go back I will make sure I take a tour with him.

Go ziplining! My husband and I were just in Puerto Limon on March 30, aboard the Island Princess. I was between Charlie Soto/OkeyDokey and Danilo Hall/Carribean Adventures for ziplining, based on the reviews on CC. The price was pretty much the same and it sounded like they were offering about the same thing, $99 or $100 for ziplining and the Tortuguero canal boat trip. For whatever reason we decided to go with Danilo (I think he e-mailed me back sooner) and he said it would be a private tour for just the two of us (I was a little less certain it would be private with Charlie).

Danilo did tell me he would be our tour guide but then when we got there he said he had to wait for some others to get off the boat and would we mind going with Rey. We agreed, although looking back I'm not sure that we wouldn't have had a slightly better experience with Danilo just because he's the boss. We had a really fun time and I have no complaints about Rey, I think he was just a little quieter than Danilo might have been so we learned a little bit less.

But ziplining was awesome! One of the highlights of our trip. The canal boat was nice too and our boat driver was a good guy, pointing out the wildlife and pulling up close so we could see it. He is also trying to start his own tour company and I can find the info on him if you are interested. I think I could have skipped the canal boat ride if we had been pressed for time (which we were not at all) but my husband really enjoyed it. We also loved the fresh fruit that we stopped for and thought it was great that Rey had a cooler full of water because we needed it. Ziplining was HOT and we were very sweaty when we were done.

Others on our roll call did do white water rafting (I think with Charlie Soto) and they said they enjoyed it. We just thought the drive out to the rafting place sounded too long for us and we liked that we'd get to do the canal boat too.

Any other questions, just ask. I will post a full review of our cruise as soon as I have a chance, since I was so helped by everyone else who did that before us.

I forgot to mention that my husband and I are in our 30s also, and two guys who I'd guess were in their 30s that were on the RCCL ship that was in port the same day ziplined with us. They said they just asked a cab driver at the pier to take them ziplining, they had not prearranged anything and seemed happy although their driver did not speak English well.

The four of us definitely had a blast. There were kids there ziplining as well but they put them in another group. We did not go to Jungle Breezes which I had read about on CC as Danilo recommended the place we went to more highly. I cannot recall the name of it but I can ask my husband if he remembers if you want to know.

We are scheduled next week with Charlie at OkeyDokey tours for the Tortugero Canal tour $59.00pp whick also includes a tour of the countryside/holding sloth/monkey. Lunch on Bonita beach and a stop at a grocery store to pick up vanilla/coffee. He offers beer and soft drinks all during his tours. This is called his A-1 tour. He also offers ziplining which would be an additional cost.

i am booked with okeydokey for june 6. please let us know how your tour worked out.

thanks

We did the A1 tour with Oscar Brown this winter...we were underwhelmed with this tour...Oscar was waiting for us at the assigned time and off we went just my DH, me and Oscar..we drove by many fruit trees, stopped the car and saw a kid holding a monkey, stopped the minivan and saw a kid holding a sloth. Stopped the minivan and got out and saw the edge of a banana farm/grove and Oscar explained the banana process to us. Got back in the mini van and drove to the canal area where he arranged for a guide to take us on the little boat thru the canals. It was raining..light rain and only life was birds..no sloths no alligators no monkeys ho hum..boring it was, the canal water was muddy brown. Got back in the minivan and skipped the store to buy coffee as it was sunday they are all closed ( we did see some grocery stores open, but Oscar said they were no good.).stopped at a high point and got out of minivan and saw the view.. If we were a large group Oscar said we would have stopped for lunch.. Others on our cruise went with another Tour company and bought coffee for cheap at a store in Limon on a sunday.. again we were not impressed with this tour or Limon ( filthy and rampant garbage everywhere). Others have enjoyed this tour, maybe its just me and my husband but we did not and couldn't wait for it to end...At the pier there is a shopping area set up, with stalls selling coffee, native stuff, etc and for the brave women manicures

I think I just convinced myself to do the zipline. I can go rafting here in the US. I can't zipline in the rainforest here.

I just can't wait to go!:D

If you really want to see the rainforest, the zipline is the way to go.

just returned from Puerto Limon and did the A-1 tour with Charlie Soto. We had an excellent guide in Iron and driver with Marco. I would highly recommend his services. He met us at the pier a good 1/2 hour earlier than expected nad took a group of 8 of us on a tour lasting 7 hours and was sold as a 5 1/2 hour tour. They took us places that were not featured in the A-1 tour literature, went out of their way to ensure that everyone was satisfied. Paying cash at end was no problem. When I go back I will make sure I take a tour with him.

I can 2nd this. We just got back on Sunday (4-19) and had Ray with Marco as the driver. It was the best day of our cruise..All 10 of us LOVED this tour and especially ziplining. I wrote a full review of our Freedom cruise on the Carnival boards.

sounds great. were you afraid you would not get back in time? 7 hours seems like a very long time.

Archived