Never Cruising Carnival Again - PLEASE read and give me a chance !

RaceMedic

Now that this has been brought to John's attention, you can bet that Carnival is aware of the crappy way this has been handled and that many are now aware of how badly they treated a passenger. Maybe they'll print up a bunch of tux vouchers for future use.:p

John knows the deal on these type of things. He is fully aware of where responsibility resides. OP isn't the first passenger whose flight was delayed, whose luggage was lost or who made the ship by the hair on his head..... Nobody needs to "inform" anyone.

As for being treated "crappy"....that's just naivete and not being aware of the contracts, or they system. It's all in writing..all one needs to do is read....

I haven't read the middle three or four pages of this tread but I've read enough, I think, to comment quickly...

The OP booked this cruise through a TA. I am amazed that Carnival accepted any contact at all. The TA is the travelers agent and advocate. If the booking wasn't satisfactory the TA should have made note and contacted Carnival for a change. That's the TAs job... or the job of a good TA.

Carnival was totally accurate in their response. They have no control over the airlines or the weather. Delays are not their responsiblity.

Whoever the OP talked to at Carnival provided inaccurate information and that is very regrettable, indeed.

I don't know who or how the OP approached people on the ship. I would guess that the OP acted with reason and restraint but I wasn't there so I can't be sure of that. Now, having said that, I've not seen a reasonable request denied. For that matter, I've seen a bunch of unreasonable requests granted!

I don't think that there's any chance that Carnival will accept responsibility for a delayed aircraft nor would it be reasonable to expect them to. I can't imagine the legal can of worms that would open.

One thing I would like to point out... in the OPs second letter to Carnival he states: " Again .. even

your own website forums state repeatedly not to allow Carnival to book your flights due to

repeated problems … I learned this unfortunately after the fact."

This is not Carnival's forum. If the OP was referring to Carnival Connections it, too, is much like this forum... a place for people to express opinions and offer advice but it's NOT FROM CARNIVAL... it's the OPINION of the posters.

Considering recent history I'd guess that the OP will end up with some variety of compensation and that's between the OP and Carnival.

What amazes me is how fequently and readily people blame cruise lines for events beyond the line's control and demand compensation. Do y'all recall the lawyer on the Conquest last year who led a revolt because they missed a port?

Why didn't the OP demand compensation from the airline? No one seems to hold airlines responsible for much of anything. I think we've been conditioned to react like that.

Overall, it's a shame that the OPs cruise was less than it could have been. I'd love everyone's experience on board a cruise ship to be perfect but that's just not the way life is... sad...

Just my $.02...

Never would I ever book thru them.........

Nor would I in future....even if everything goes right this time (touch wood!!)

And yes, we have insurance....and I have the flight schedules for flights from our home airport and also from Miami, to our first port ;)

I haven't read the middle three or four pages of this tread but I've read enough, I think, to comment quickly...

The OP booked this cruise through a TA. I am amazed that Carnival accepted any contact at all. The TA is the travelers agent and advocate. If the booking wasn't satisfactory the TA should have made note and contacted Carnival for a change. That's the TAs job... or the job of a good TA.

Carnival was totally accurate in their response. They have no control over the airlines or the weather. Delays are not their responsiblity.

Whoever the OP talked to at Carnival provided inaccurate information and that is very regrettable, indeed.

I don't know who or how the OP approached people on the ship. I would guess that the OP acted with reason and restraint but I wasn't there so I can't be sure of that. Now, having said that, I've not seen a reasonable request denied. For that matter, I've seen a bunch of unreasonable requests granted!

I don't think that there's any chance that Carnival will accept responsibility for a delayed aircraft nor would it be reasonable to expect them to. I can't imagine the legal can of worms that would open.

One thing I would like to point out... in the OPs second letter to Carnival he states: " Again .. even

your own website forums state repeatedly not to allow Carnival to book your flights due to

This is not Carnival's forum. If the OP was referring to Carnival Connections it, too, is much like this forum... a place for people to express opinions and offer advice but it's NOT FROM CARNIVAL... it's the OPINION of the posters.

Considering recent history I'd guess that the OP will end up with some variety of compensation and that's between the OP and Carnival.

What amazes me is how fequently and readily people blame cruise lines for events beyond the line's control and demand compensation. Do y'all recall the lawyer on the Conquest last year who led a revolt because they missed a port?

Why didn't the OP demand compensation from the airline? No one seems to hold airlines responsible for much of anything. I think we've been conditioned to react like that.

Overall, it's a shame that the OPs cruise was less than it could have been. I'd love everyone's experience on board a cruise ship to be perfect but that's just not the way life is... sad...

Just my $.02...

Because he booked with Carnival.... I dont know about you but when I purchase something from one source, I dont go to another with a problem I have with it...

Carnival needs to get out of the airfare business...

When I think about Canada I think of Vancouver and the Left Coast of Canada. :D

Fred

LOL...When I think about Canada I think of Quebec/Toronto and the Right Coast of Canada...but look where you live and look where I live...

This part is the heart of the matter to me. I don't think Carnival is responsible for a delayed aircraft. What I think they're responsible for is the misinformation their staff gave on several occasions, even up until the last minutes before the cruise left port.

They told him twice that he should not worry about the flight times and everything would be fine. Then they told him that they would hold the boat for him for an hour.

To me, those are the errors Carnival made that should be rectified. I don't see how that would open a can of worms. Maybe it would even encourage them to make sure that the staff they have covering the phone lines give out proper information. How terrible would that be if their own information line was more reliable than cruise critic?

I'm sorry to hear that the first day and a half of your cruise did not go very well. I'm also very glad to hear that the balance of your cruise was a nice vacation.

It's unfortunate that while you were concerned enough about the close flight time to call Carnival twice to confirm that you'd be okay you did not trust your own instinct and change the flight. I've never cruised, but I've flown enough times to know I'd never book a flight that left me with only a two hour window of time to reach a "must be there on time" Too many things can happen to delay a flight. It appears that Carnival did not practice "common sense" in recommending the flight, and you, unfortunately, let them lull you into a false sense of security.

I'm also sorry that you did not think to pack your medications in your carry on. While it was nice that you had your swim suits, medication is so important. I hope that you will never allow yourself to be seperated by your medication again while traveling.

I do believe Carnival should have extended you the free tuxedo rental. Had you rented the tuxedo on board I would like to have seen Carnival reimburse you the rental cost for you and your son. Since you chose not to rent them, I'm not sure what they could offer you as reimbursement since you did not have an actual expense. Perhaps since you had an unenjoyable time at the formal night they could have given you a free dinner at the supper club.

I do not agree that Carnival should have provided you with a 20% discount on a future crusie. You had the benefit of the cruise and with the exception of the formal night it seems that your vacation went well. It is unfortunate that you had the bad experience, but Carnival's policy does clearly state that they are not responsible for flight times.

I cannot see that Carnival would be able to do anything to appease you as a customer at this juncture and you would benefit by traveling with another cruiseline as opposed to trying Carnival again.

Hopefully your next experience will be enhanced by your lessons learned.

Because he booked with Carnival.... I dont know about you but when I purchase something from one source, I dont go to another with a problem I have with it...

Totally agree with you here about getting out of the Airfare business. If they book own their own, we wouldn't be reading this thread today.

Fred

Totally agree with you here about getting out of the Airfare business.

Fred

I don't know why they would. It sounds like a great money maker for them with very little (if any) responsibility.

Nobody should blame the airlines........now I am assuming that Carnival air knew when the op's ship was to set sail. They also know that **** happens at airports...........why is it unreasonable to lay the blame on them:confused: Even when the op questioned the arrival time......and was repeatly reassured.

Then telling them they will be taken care of on the ship blah blah blah.......

There is another poster on here that booked with Carnival air with 3 hours to spare......that is just lame IMO!

If that is the way they treat people Carnival air has no business booking flights for cruises........

I don't doubt that you had a bad experience, and I'm personally surprised by Carnival's responses. But while I'm certainly not as experienced as some on here, I've been on two Carnival cruises, and am about to go on my third, and have never had any problems of any kind. I have found their Customer Service to be excellent (for me, at least). My next cruise in June is the first time I will have used their Fly Aweigh program, but I am really impressed with the flight plan so far. Sure, we're leaving Dallas very early in the morning, but that's ok. We arrive in Vancouver 5 hours before the ship leaves. That should be plenty of time to get off and make it through U.S. Direct. If our luggage doesn't make it to the ship, then Alaska Air has bigger problems than Sarah Palin (bless her heart). We have a two hour layover in Seattle to change planes, but SeaTac isn't that big that we can't make it, even if delayed. Coming home is about the same....seems to be well planned and timed. But you never know, I may be on here in late June with my own horror story. But for now, I find Carnival very competent, accomodating, and RaceMedic had a personally bad experience all around.

A business assosiate of mine just this last week missed a flight connection in Seattle, next flight available was 4 hours later. The group also had a horrible time getting out of Seattle 2 days before, arrived at our business meeting very late. Please don't put your confidence in Seattle!! :eek: Honestly, I would not be comfortable with just 5 hours before ship sails, between delays, getting through customs, etc. Nope. I would be way too nervous.

How terrible would that be if their own information line was more reliable than cruise critic?

We here at Cruise Critic have up to the minute knowledge about what goes on the ships even in real time because we get the info straight from the CC member onboard. Carnival's staff usually find out about changes from us when we call them to ask them about them or during booking a cruise. Most of them are new and have never sailed onboard a ship or even took a flight out of Miami.

When I seek cruise information I come here rather then giving Carnival a call.

Fred

We here at Cruise Critic have up to the minute knowledge what goes on on the ships even in real time because we get the info straight from the CC member onboard. Carnival's staff usually find out about changes from us when we call them to ask them about them or during booking a cruise. Most of them are new and have never sailed onboard a ship or even took a flight out of Miami.

When I seek cruise information I come here rather then giving Carnival a call.

Fred

Which only proves how justified the OP is....Perhaps Carnival should outsource a hot line to CC

OMG just saw your post LMAO!! Great minds are at work here:D

Isn't that the same question that Carnival should be asking themselves when they book these flights?

That is EXACTLY my comment in my complaint ... they need to implement a policy that passengers must have X number of hours before the ship leaves on arrival at the airport or have them fly in the night before.

This will allow for delays to happen and still make the cruise.

They didn't even comment on that part of my letter in their response ... do they know I was right ?!

This part is the heart of the matter to me. I don't think Carnival is responsible for a delayed aircraft. What I think they're responsible for is the misinformation their staff gave on several occasions, even up until the last minutes before the cruise left port.

They told him twice that he should not worry about the flight times and everything would be fine. Then they told him that they would hold the boat for him for an hour.

To me, those are the errors Carnival made that should be rectified. I don't see how that would open a can of worms. Maybe it would even encourage them to make sure that the staff they have covering the phone lines give out proper information. How terrible would that be if their own information line was more reliable than cruise critic?

Carnival acknowledged the errors and shortcomings of their Guest Services members in their response to his first letter. Should they have offered compensation? That's not for me to say.

Although I can't say for sure, I would expect that PVPs and all other agents at Carnival are provided access to all the information that they could use to make themselves aware of policies and practices. Do they use it? Apparently not and that's been documented on many occasions.

As to the question of how long a ship can be held... I think we're all aware of the requirements from CBP to produce a manifest of all passengers one hour prior to sailing. The lines are facing new constraints that they've not previously had to deal with. Hold a ship an hour to board passengers and sailing is delay two hours, at least...

Just my $.02...

Good point. Why isn't the OP writing to the airline about the delay?

I don't know why they would. It sounds like a great money maker for them with very little (if any) responsibility.

I'm beginning to wonder if they book late flights on purpose so that the passengers worry so much they will pay extra to change the flight

I just think we all need to remember what it was like our first cruise or even two. I was clueless. I don't feel like I really had a good grasp on the ins & outs till about 4 cruises ago when I finally discovered these boards.

Even before I knew what cruise critic was we flew in to San Juan the day of. Got there fine but lost a piece of luggage. Everything was DH's & even then the Purser's desk was wonderful to make sure he had enough to get by the first day or so till we got the the first port.

I think the main problem is Carnival Employees aren't all on the same page. I'm not referring to the entire experience mainly the phone call to carnival from the airport where they were mis-informed & once they got on the ship about helping them out. This is the first time I have read about Carnival not trying to help a passenger in a situation like this (just talking about the luggage part now). I have read many times about the tux voucher thing & it was an option for us had the luggage not made it.

I just wish Carnival would educate their employees in the proper way to handle something like this in a uniform method.

I can see why everything the OP encounterd on a first cruise would be overwhelming. Especially when you are trusting a company to handle your vacation.

I have just read many posts here about everyone being told different things about any given situation, not just this one. Once you have cruised a few times you get to learn the ropes & know to call more then once to see if you get the same answer.

Thank-goodness the OP had insurance that will cover the delayed baggage but Carnival could have offered up some sort of token to keep a customer happy. Most of us that have written 45 day letters have been given more then the OP was given.

Archived