Never Cruising Carnival Again - PLEASE read and give me a chance !

RaceMedic

No ted, I am NOT that naive. My oceanfront property is on the Gulf Coast of Florida :D So call the FBI.

Just got my Atlas out...hmmm...Nope, Prospect Kentucky is nowhere near the Gulf Coast of Florida. You must have got a great deal. ;)

You do have to agree Carnival really could have handled this better, right?

Is that the same Oceanfront Property you bought in Kentucky? BTW, soliciting payment for merchandise, in this case specific property in South Dakota, you can not or will not deliver, using the internet, is a Federal Crime. Just for your information. Sometimes it's good to know when your breaking the law. ;)

It cant be, because she researches everything to all ends. To VanessaL. my reference to hours doing research was in general research for crusing not specfic to the OP's problem. Sure after the OP had his problem he then spent the 0.25 seconds and found CC. FYI. I too live in the BlueGrass state.

So....... do you all think the "OP" has figured out yet that if you are flying in from Canada to Florida to do it the day before no matter what cruiseline they are cruising on......:D

So....... do you all think the "OP" has figured out yet that if you are flying in from Canada to Florida to do it the day before no matter what cruiseline they are cruising on......:D

Mom. I'm pretty sure the OP got that idea pretty quick. I was surprised with your response, because you usually seem to be extremely fair in all your post. Do you think if Carnival would have just given the OP a tux rental we would be on page 21now???

You do have to agree Carnival really could have handled this better, right?

I am sitting here trying to figure out if there was any way they could have handled it worse.

They have alienated what could have been a loyal customer when it would have taken very little to regain his good will.

Reading his letters and posts there were many opportunities for Carnival to make the situation better, but they missed them all.

I am sitting here trying to figure out if there was any way they could have handled it worse.

They have alienated what could have been a loyal customer when it would have taken very little to regain his good will.

Reading his letters and posts there were many opportunities for Carnival to make the situation better, but they missed them all.

You are right about that!

Interestingly enough as Vanessa pointed out, maybe Carnival doesn't need "Good Customer Service", when they can just undercut the competetion and then tell the customer take it or leave it. I think if that is True and I hope that Vanessa doesn't speak for Carnival, then Carnival will end up on the losing end. "Good" Customer Service keeps people coming back, "Bad" Customer Service sends them elsewhere. Business success depends on return customers. The OP has every right to be upset and airing the issue here will help people decide where they want to spend their Vacation $$$.

Mom. I'm pretty sure the OP got that idea pretty quick. I was surprised with your response, because you usually seem to be extremely fair in all your post. Do you think if Carnival would have just given the OP a tux rental we would be on page 21now???
Hey pickle......I felt I was. It still surprises me that the OP didn't change the set up of the flight after being so concerned as they were. Now they are mad at Carn-evil......hmmmmmmm......

Maybe a $50 OBC and all this bickering wouldn't be going on here.....

Hey pickle......I felt I was. It still surprises me that the OP didn't change the set up of the flight after being so concerned as they were. Now they are mad at Carn-evil......hmmmmmmm......

Maybe a $50 OBC and all this bickering wouldn't be going on here.....

Maybe just the two tux voucher would have done the trick. By the time they were aware of the schedule, it was past final payment. Did anyone mention deviation to them? My guess is a big, fat NO.

So...had this happened to you and you had called carnival multiple times in advance, concerned about your flight times (you did read that part right? Oh and the part that CARNIVAL WAS HIS TRAVEL AGENT.) and were reassured each time that it would fine then told upon arrival at port that you would have to leave your luggage behind or miss the ship you would be happy?

There was nothing wrong with the flight times. They were perfectly fine.....

It's the AIRLINE that totally messed up with the 1 hour delay in departure....period...and no cruise line has any control whatsoever over airline schedules, delays or cancellations.

Look, these things happen. That's what insurance is for. OP made the cruise and apparently had a good time. It's over. All that's needed is the information forwarded to the insurance folks and they'll be reimbursed.

Trying for compensation or some sort of freebie is silly. Carnival and other lines are totally protected by their iron-clad contracts, terms and conditions, to which we all agree when we put our money down. They can't be expected to wear a hair shirt everytime a flight is delayed or the airline loses luggage. Ridiculous.

And, that bit about medicine being in their checked bags...well, that's simply a lack of research and planning.

Maybe just the two tux voucher would have done the trick. By the time they were aware of the schedule, it was past final payment. Did anyone mention deviation to them? My guess is a big, fat NO.

OMG...There was deviation on the cruise...I'd have never gone....Do you know what those people do ??????:eek::eek:

So...had this happened to you and you had called carnival multiple times in advance, concerned about your flight times (you did read that part right? Oh and the part that CARNIVAL WAS HIS TRAVEL AGENT.) and were reassured each time that it would fine then told upon arrival at port that you would have to leave your luggage behind or miss the ship you would be happy?

Would I be happy? Of course not.

Would I demand compensation? Nope.

I've read every single post in this thread and no where has the OP taken any responsibility. You obviously missed the posts where the OP mentions he used a TA...*NOT* a PVP.

It's the OP's fault his meds were in his checked baggage. The airlines advise against this. Carnival advises against this. If the OP had read his contract OR the section of the Carnival Web page for first-time travelers, he would have known this. If he read through his insurance policy, most of this could have been avoided, as most of his needs would have been covered (the tuxes, likely the visit to the infirmary, etc).

Does he deserve an apology? Yes. Does he deserve a free cruise? Nope.

The OP needs to take responsibility for his part in this...he plopped down hundreds, or more likely thousands, of dollars blindly without doing any research. He clearly didn't read his cruise contract or the FAQ's in the documents. That's on him. You can't expect the cruiseline to compensate him for failing to read his documents.

People travel all the time after their luggage goes missing. It's in at least one review weekly across the boards. The difference is that they packed all their necessities with them. It's a hazard of traveling. The only person you can blame for a traveler being ill-prepared in event of missing luggage is the traveler.

And if the OP was truly so concerned about his flights, he should have cancelled his air option and booked it himself. The Tampa airport is 20 minutes away from the port. Had his flight been on time, he would have made it to the port in plenty of time. It's the risk you take to get cheaper airfare. Again, not the fault of the cruiseline. They can't predict when flights will be delayed. He could have booked an air + hotel option. He didn't. Why? Likely because he didn't do his research. You can't blame Carnival for that.

It looks like we have a new leader of the Carnival Cheer Squad...You Go Dan. Please enlighten us to the REAL Facts. Face it...Carnival dropped the Ball on this one and are not going to try to remedy the matter in a "Customer Friendly" way. Now this post has over 400 posts, just today and most are not cheering for the greatness of the Customer Service Department of Carnival. I'd say they have made a huge mistake by not addressing the issue appropriately...this kind of PR is not good. JMHO

Dan said we don't know all the facts.....he didn't say he knew anything other than what OP put up for consideration.

No ball dropped here except by the airline who delayed the flight in the first place. That's where OP should be shining for the freebies he's obviously looking for.

But what would make the situation better? The OP says he's never cruising Carnival again...and then asks for monetary compensation towards a future cruise...on Carnival.

An apology? Carnival didn't really do anything wrong. Had his flight been on time, he would have easily made it to the port in time. That's on the airline. They can apologize for their PVP's and phone people not being on the up-and-up, but they've made worse errors.

I think the real problem here is the OP's ill preparedness (medicine in checked luggage, clearly not reading through his insurance policy). It's easy to point the finger at Carnival but there was NO DAMAGE DONE. He got his luggage and as he said, the rest of his cruise was wonderful. Why does that deserve monetary credit?

I can't think of anywhere where a good cruise + no damage done is deserving of monetary credit.

So, again, I beg the question...what would make it right?

On our last cruise, there was a dead wasp on our ceiling our entire cruise and our room was not kept up well. The cruise was good, and no damage was done, but it tainted my experience. Am I deserving of a cruise credit, too? Of course not.

Would I be happy? Of course not.

Would I demand compensation? Nope.

I've read every single post in this thread and no where has the OP taken any responsibility. You obviously missed the posts where the OP mentions he used a TA...*NOT* a PVP.

It's the OP's fault his meds were in his checked baggage. The airlines advise against this. Carnival advises against this. If the OP had read his contract OR the section of the Carnival Web page for first-time travelers, he would have known this. If he read through his insurance policy, most of this could have been avoided, as most of his needs would have been covered (the tuxes, likely the visit to the infirmary, etc).

Does he deserve an apology? Yes. Does he deserve a free cruise? Nope.

The OP needs to take responsibility for his part in this...he plopped down hundreds, or more likely thousands, of dollars blindly without doing any research. He clearly didn't read his cruise contract or the FAQ's in the documents. That's on him. You can't expect the cruiseline to compensate him for failing to read his documents.

People travel all the time after their luggage goes missing. It's in at least one review weekly across the boards. The difference is that they packed all their necessities with them. It's a hazard of traveling. The only person you can blame for a traveler being ill-prepared in event of missing luggage is the traveler.

And if the OP was truly so concerned about his flights, he should have cancelled his air option and booked it himself. The Tampa airport is 20 minutes away from the port. Had his flight been on time, he would have made it to the port in plenty of time. It's the risk you take to get cheaper airfare. Again, not the fault of the cruiseline. They can't predict when flights will be delayed. He could have booked an air + hotel option. He didn't. Why? Likely because he didn't do his research. You can't blame Carnival for that.

Well there you go, these kinds of threads usually come down to one thing...It's always the OP's fault, even when they get hosed. We could have gotten this cleared up about 400 posts ago.

There are three givens in this World... Death, Taxes and It's Never Carnival's fault.

Dan said we don't know all the facts.....he didn't say he knew anything other than what OP put up for consideration.

No ball dropped here except by the airline who delayed the flight in the first place. That's where OP should be shining for the freebies he's obviously looking for.

...Are we speaking for Dan now?

BTW, who booked the Air Travel for the OP?

There was nothing wrong with the flight times. They were perfectly fine.....

It's the AIRLINE that totally messed up with the 1 hour delay in departure....period...and no cruise line has any control whatsoever over airline schedules' date=' delays or cancellations.

Look, these things happen. That's what insurance is for. OP made the cruise and apparently had a good time. It's over. All that's needed is the information forwarded to the insurance folks and they'll be reimbursed.

Trying for compensation or some sort of freebie is silly. Carnival and other lines are totally protected by their iron-clad contracts, terms and conditions, to which we all agree when we put our money down. They can't be expected to wear a hair shirt everytime a flight is delayed or the airline loses luggage. Ridiculous.

And, that bit about medicine being in their checked bags...well, that's simply a lack of research and planning.[/quote']

You miss the point, again. Having booked AIR & cruise with CCL, they had some missteps. The straw was the lack of ANY ownership of the problem. First cruise, first formal night, no clothes. Small gestures go a long way, but I guess you just don't see that. The straw that broke the camels back was not being able to dress as they would have liked to for that night (CCL has some responsibility here). Give the guys something, and all would be good. Many people have been comped for crap that doesn't even come close to this. Goodwill....

Methinks had they had some empathy, and shown goodwill, this would not be the issue it is now.

Well there you go, these kinds of threads usually come down to one thing...It's always the OP's fault, even when they get hosed. We could have gotten this cleared up about 400 posts ago.

There are three givens in this World... Death, Taxes and It's Never Carnival's fault.

No, I can think of plenty of incidences on this board where it's been 100% Carnival's fault, but this one? Which part is Carnival's fault?

The part where the flight was delayed? That's on the airline.

The part where the OP's family felt out of place on formal night? That would have been covered by insurance had the OP read their insurance policy.

The part where the OP's meds were in his checked luggage and wouldn't pay the fee to visit the doctor? That's in the cruise documents that come along with the cruise contract, both online and in paper form, which the OP clearly didn't read.

The part where the OP felt that the flight times were too close? Did he not arrive on time? Did he miss the boat? If he was so concerned, why did he not cancel the air package and book it himself OR book an air + hotel package and arrive a day earlier?

Here's where I draw the line: no one was hurt. No property was damaged. He said himself that he enjoyed his cruise. What part of that deserves MONETARY compensation. An apology? Sure. I think the way that this has been handled is deplorable. But he GOT an apology.

And what happened to personal responsibility? The OP clearly didn't read his contract, or do any research it seems, or even read his travel insurance policy. In NONE of his posts has he acknowledged this.

And the fact that he says he'll never cruise Carnival again...and then asks for a free cruise...ON Carnival...seems more like he had a good cruise and found a way to get another one on the house. He got his apology. Why not leave it at that? What part of this deserves monetary compensation?

You miss the point, again. Having booked AIR & cruise with CCL, they had some missteps. The straw was the lack of ANY ownership of the problem. First cruise, first formal night, no clothes. Small gestures go a long way, but I guess you just don't see that. The straw that broke the camels back was not being able to dress as they would have liked to for that night (CCL has some responsibility here). Give the guys something, and all would be good. Many people have been comped for crap that doesn't even come close to this. Goodwill....

Methinks had they had some empathy, and shown goodwill, this would not be the issue it is now. They didn't ask for anything, just what the he|| they paid for.

But they got what they paid for: they got on the boat, on time. The OP said the rest of the cruise was great, so obviously the food/room/entertainment was good. So they got what they paid for, just not in a way that is desirable (or even satisfactory).

But had the OP read their insurance policy, they would have had the clothes and formal wear covered. That is his fault, not the purser's.

If you read the responses from Carnival, they apologize, thus acknowledging responsibility. I'm not sure what else the OP wants (except for a free cruise). Carnival acknowledged the problem. Carnival apologized. But since they didn't offer any money (when no money was lost and no harm was done, bodily or to property), why should they?

But they got what they paid for: they got on the boat, on time. The OP said the rest of the cruise was great, so obviously the food/room/entertainment was good. So they got what they paid for, just not in a way that is desirable (or even satisfactory).

But had the OP read their insurance policy, they would have had the clothes and formal wear covered. That is his fault, not the purser's.

If you read the responses from Carnival, they apologize, thus acknowledging responsibility. I'm not sure what else the OP wants (except for a free cruise). Carnival acknowledged the problem. Carnival apologized. But since they didn't offer any money (when no money was lost and no harm was done, bodily or to property), why should they?

They were not seeking monetary compensation. They were seeking empathy for a CCL cluster. As I said earlier, 'thow the dog a bone'. What would it have cost CCL to comp them 2 tux for formal night (first cruise, expectation, clothes bought just for the occasion)?

People work the system all them time, and win. They weren't trying to do that. So those that work this system should be rewarded, and those with true issues should just be ignored?

Edit to add...

Had they booked their own air, I probably would not feel the same. But as they DID book the air with CCL, CCL does bear some responsibilty for this.

RaceMedic

Ignore the people that say it was your fault. Carnival could start throwing people overboard and they would still side with Carnival no matter what. You get them on every cruise board from Carnival to Disney to RCI, etc... They act like their favorite cruiseline gave birth to them. :D

Carnival did you wrong bigtime and I hope they wake up and realize they can not treat people the way they treated you, which was like crap! Good Luck and I hope you get something out of this you deserve it.

They were not seeking monetary compensation. They were seeking empathy for a CCL cluster. As I said earlier, 'thow the dog a bone'. What would it have cost CCL to comp them 2 tux for formal night (first cruise, expectation, clothes bought just for the occasion)?

People work the system all them time, and win. They weren't trying to do that. So those that work this system should be rewarded, and those with true issues should just be ignored?

Edit to add...

Had they booked their own air, I probably would not feel the same. But as they DID book the air with CCL, CCL does bear some responsibilty for this.

But they are seeking monetary compensation. They ask for a cruise discount in their second letter, but title this "Never Cruising Carnival Again." I guess they're never sailing Carnival again unless Carnival kicks in a free cruise. That kind of reeks of "working the system," especially when they proclaim that the cruise itself was great.

If they're not seeking compensation monetarily, what are they seeking? They got an apology. It's right there in the first response from Carnival.

And it's not Carnival's responsibility to kick in some free clothes...that's what travel insurance was for...which they had but apparently didn't know how to use. Is that Carnival's fault, too? Where do we draw the line?

Carnival booked them on a flight that would have gotten them in on time (and did get them to the boat on time...had it not, this would be a completely different story). They aren't fortune tellers. Perhaps Carnival couldn't get them on an earlier flight. I think if anyone, the OP should be angry with the airline because they got them in late.

I'm not a Carnival cheerleader (far from it), but come on...the OP is an adult. Personal responsibility comes into play, too, and the OP clearly did no research into his cruise and didn't read his cruise contract, the cruise documents, or his travel insurance policy. If he did, I doubt we'd be reading this.

Archived