Never Cruising Carnival Again - PLEASE read and give me a chance !

RaceMedic

Lessons Learned number 2

Fire that T/A, Your T/A should of known that a 2pm arrival was cutting it way to close even with flying with Canada Air.

The blame game falls on your T/A for lack of knowledge of what could and always happens when you fly in on the day of.

Fred

Shouldn't Carnival know this as well :confused::confused:

###

So the OP being an inexperienced cruiser is being slammed for trusting the cruise line to look after his needs as well as being unaware of this board and knowing to fly in a day early. Amazing.

Not at all Nunu, you should pay closer attention. OP is being slammed because he didn't bother to do any research prior to cruising, but found this board pronto, quick, fast-like, when something went wrong. IF he had found us that quickly BEFORE his cruise, he would already know that Carnival customer service sucks and nothing can be done about it, and 2, never, ever, ever, ever, book your air through Carnival. Ever. Ever. Period.

So the OP being an inexperienced cruiser is being slammed for trusting the cruise line to look after his needs as well as being unaware of this board and knowing to fly in a day early. Amazing.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to know what meds some of you people are on. AGain, loved my Carnival trips and will be going again, but I guess I need to get some "Carnival is the greatest pills" in order to swallow the lines of crapola some of you are dishing out.

AGain OP - I feel for you situation. Has anyone copied this over to John's blog? I think he would be interested in reading this!

This is what I was thinking as well. I've always read here that if you booked with TA you can't deal with Carnival.

Pegs222: If you read back through the posts the OP does say he had insurance. That too is part of the problem in that Carnival is not sending him a letter saying his bags were delayed so he can file the claim. I'm sure that was missed has fast as this thread has gone.

Oh he did have insurance, well that is good.

I am not sure I understand why he has to file a claim. He received his luggage, yes late, but he did receive them.

Need to go off to work tonight so I can not answer any more questions promptly ... Iwill check again from work tonight.

THANK-YOU for ALL the feedback ... Positive and Negative :confused:

Dave

Hey Dave, I am really sorry that you had a terrible terrible first time experience and hope that this will pass. I am also glad that you got a free vacation out of it from those clueless T/A that you are working with, hopefully you can get it right the next time.

Fred

CARNIVAL booked the flights for us and it was ALL confirmed on their site ... whether my TA checked it or not ... not sure .... they feel bad for what has happened and that is why they have offered us our next booking at their cost but they also feel Carnival has dropped the ball on taking caring of a customer.

Again .... CARNIVAL assured me it was not a problem on 2 different occasions so I don't THINK I brought my concern to my TA's attention.

We have not travelled very much at all and again .... TRUSTED Carnival to take care of their customer.

A LOT of lessons learned.

Too bad you experienced such a mess. But, it's really not a Carnival problem. They booked you flights that would have arrived in time to board the ship based on the airlines published schedule. It isn't their fault that the flight was delayed.

It seems to me that your ire should be directed to the airline involved. They were the ones that delayed the flight causing the entire mess.....

It's very true that in Carnival's contract - to which you agree - they disclaim any liability concerning any of their vendors...including airlines. They have no control over scheduling of these carriers and make that clear also.

It's good you bought insurance....you could have rented a tux onboard and the insurance would have reimbursed you....just like it will for other things like out of pocket expenses..that's what insurance is for.

For the "proof" you need, it would be quicker to work with the airline involved...they have all the paperwork about your missing or delayed luggage. Carnival doesn't have that.

No cruise line is going to compensate passengers for the negative incidents of airlines, shore excursions, etc. or anything else over which they have no control.

It would be the same no matter which cruise company you chose...they all have the same contract.....

I'm glad you were able to enjoy your cruise. It might be time now to move on and start planning your next cruise.....on whichever ship you think would do anything differently.

Now see, this is the prime reason why we have so much lousy customer service these days.

(Sorry to quote YOUR post Pegs, but it was the latest one, and this post is growing exponentially.)

Anyway, my point is that we just sit back and accept lousy customer service, even to the point of blaming the customer for a company's shortcomings!

"Oh! I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with the fact that we booked your flight so close to the departure time, but it's your own &$^% fault for allowing us to book your flight and not holding our hands and telling us specifically at what time you need to be there to get to the ship and which keys to press to enter that info."

Uh-uh. "Sorry, now leave us alone" just doesn't cut it. Consumers NEED to do as Racemedic did and call people out on this sub-par service. If more consumers stopped just accepting lousy service as the norm, then more companies would start stepping up to make sure they deliver acceptable service. By just taking it and saying "well, it's your fault for not booking your flight yourself/buying insurance/fixing the situation on your own/flying the plane/taking a cab/whatEVER" we are simply enabling this scenario.

Nope, sorry. BIG companies don't work this way and that is just the way it is. Mom and pop organizations HAVE to kiss customer's azzes to stay in business. Companies like Carnival Corp and Wal-Mart and other huge companies (like Microsoft) do NOT have to kiss anyone's butt. In fact, they typically say, "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out." They lose how much percentage to being pissed off at their customer service but gain HOW MANY do to the fact that they offer the best prices out there??? They simply do not have to care if someone threatens, "I will never sail you again." "OK, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out." Sad? Yes. The way it is? Yes.

Good luck Racemedic!!!! I agree the customer service was completely blown. Carnival dropped my parents luggage overboard offloading and paid for:new luggage, replacement of the damaged property in the luggage, half off the next cruise, and (we actually aren't sure where this came from) the next cruise had SUBSTANTIAL OBC, but like I said, we don't have any idea where the OBC came from. The compensation was more than necassary, my folks would have been ok with just replacing the damaged luggage and items. I have no problem with requesting 20%, that is not an unreasonable request at all, and if they want to keep your business, it is one they should consider.

~Kristie

This is what I've been trying to say...CCL usually handles this stuff well. What happened to the OP was just wrong. It would have taken SO little to make those two days without luggage easier for them....I don't understand this piss poor attitude of Carnival at all.

I am not sure I understand why he has to file a claim. He received his luggage, yes late, but he did receive them.

There are costs related to getting your luggage that late. Insurance should pay for some replacement items.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to know what meds some of you people are on. AGain, loved my Carnival trips and will be going again, but I guess I need to get some "Carnival is the greatest pills" in order to swallow the lines of crapola some of you are dishing out.

AGain OP - I feel for you situation. Has anyone copied this over to John's blog? I think he would be interested in reading this!

Ditto to your ditto!

Not at all Nunu, you should pay closer attention. OP is being slammed because he didn't bother to do any research prior to cruising, but found this board pronto, quick, fast-like, when something went wrong. IF he had found us that quickly BEFORE his cruise, he would already know that Carnival customer service sucks and nothing can be done about it, and 2, never, ever, ever, ever, book your air through Carnival. Ever. Ever. Period.

Research prior to cruising? Since when is taking a vacation akin to going through college with all of the prep involved? Isn't that what a travel agent (who I agree should share some responsibility) and using the cruise company for air is for? Not everyone feels a need to be on here for months prior to taking a vacation (or even to be here at all). And that is no reason to dismiss both Carnival and the travel agent for their poor performances. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

There are costs related to getting your luggage that late. Insurance should pay for some replacement items.

Not to be obtuse, but just what does the insurance say about replacement items? There just seems to be some missing elements in all this. He says he talked to Carnival, even though he has a TA. We all know that is not allowed.

I do feel bad that the OP did not get to the ship on time. That has always been my worst fear.

I am even surprised that anyone at Carnival even spoke to you about your flights prior to the cruise.

Their policy is that if you book with a TA, you have to have the TA deal with Carnival on your behalf.

Carnival usually asks this as a first question when you call and refers you to your TA.

I don't think it is clear who booked the flights.........

But I do know I have read on here many times regarding Carnival booked flights. Some people don't even know their flights numbers, times, dates or seat assignments etc......until the last minute.....

I believe you don't have much control over their flights. And Carnival should stop promoting these flights if they are not going to accept responsibility IMO.........

It isn't their fault that the flight was delayed.

But they are responsible to do what they can to make it right.

They go on and on about how if you book an excursion through Carnival, they will take responsibility... They often use the example of getting you back to the ship.... Cruise booked excursions will, other may not..

In this case, Carnival knew these people were late, and could have held the ship for 1/2 an hour more so they could get their luggage. If they couldn't do that, then they could have paid more attention to the details....

All in all a 20% discount or OBC on the next cruise would be nothing to do....

Research prior to cruising? Since when is taking a vacation akin to going through college with all of the prep involved? Isn't that what a travel agent (who I agree should share some responsibility) and using the cruise company for air is for? Not everyone feels a need to be on here for months prior to taking a vacation (or even to be here at all). And that is no reason to dismiss both Carnival and the travel agent for their poor performances. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

Speaking ONLY for me, when I am about to lay out a four figure amount for a trip (or heck, even a high 3 figure for that matter), you can bet your butt that I am researching the bejesus out of it to see what all is available where I'm going, what I want to do, how the weather is going to be, etc. Sorry, but I don't have enough expendable cash (though perhaps you do and that is fine) to just drop a few grand and "hope" that the vacation fairies are going to show up and "make everything ok". Further, it didn't seem to take him long to find this board once something went wrong, how is it that he just trusted the vacation fairies ahead of time but could find this board in record time when he got scre*ed by Carnival customer service? Just sayin'. I feel for the guy, but am not surprised in the least by Carnival's response. The response he has posted is the norm for them. Occasionally, they will make things good (and as another pointed out, forwarding this to John Heald may be the secret), but that is always the exception. Never the rule.

I honestly do not see why you are so upset. Carnival told you they are not responsible for the airlines. You knew when the ship was going to leave and you knew when your flight was going to get there. You do not need to be a past cruiser to wonder if you are going to have enough time to get to the ship. You could have come in the day before.

They apologized to you; what more could you expect once you are back home? You could have rented a tux. Why do you think they should have given you one?

You did not purchase the insurance. There is only so much they could have done for you.

This is a prime reason to purchase the insurance and either book your own flights or have the cruise line book it a day early.

hhmmmm I think you have forgotten your pom-poms leisures-and-sports-075.gif

Most also cover when your luggage is delayed & you've had to buy things to make do till you have your luggage. They will reimburse for such things.

G'Ma good point he should be able to contact the airlines to get verification from his delayed luggage. But, he did say they had to virtually go from the airport to hop on the shuttle, I'm wondering if he didn't have time to file the claim at the airport so that's why he needs something from carnival.

Yes, they should know this especially with the guy coming from Canada !!!

Too bad he just found Cruise Critic.

Fred

He should not have to find cruise critic to go on a cruise. Seriously - that is ridiculous to even suggest he is to blame b/c he didn't find this board in time. He did say that he found the board before his cruise but at that point it was too late to rectify the situation.

It seems to me that the TA has accepted some responsibility in the situation by offering him an at cost cruise in the future but that should not release Carnival from responsibility.

People who excuse a company's behavior in this situation are part of the problem. Failure to expect decent customre service from a company will cause them to lower their standards and it becomes a slippery slope. Everyone on this board admits the Carnival air travel should not be used and trusted and yet many fail to see a problem with this!?!?! That baffles me!

His TA is not responsible for Carnival treating him so poorly onboard. They definitely have some culpability in this situation!

Folks .....

First THANK-YOU for commenting about my personal info being on the letters ... STUPID me ... didn't even think of that.

For those who MAY want to read my story ... feel free to.

The purpose of this post is for new cruisers to learn from our mistake ... that is all.

ALL I AM SAYING IS THIS .... I trusted Carnival to take care of a first time, inexperienced cruiser.

We feel that they did not ... could have made some simple gestures to keep us as a future client and it simply appears that THEY DON'T CARE.

Here are my letters …..

http://www.racemedical.com/Letter-1.pdf

http://www.racemedical.com/Letter-2.pdf

http://www.racemedical.com/Letter-3.pdf

http://www.racemedical.com/Letter-4.pdf

Letter 1 & 3 are from myself …. Letter 2 & 4 are their response.

Dave

I read all of the letters and have to agree that Carnival is just pushing you aside. At least you will know what to do in the future and if you choose to try Carnival again...do it on your own terms..book your own flights etc. Personally, my carry on holds at least 2 or 3 days of casualwear, a swimsuit and some sort of decent outfit for dinner. Underwear etc as well. I could survive a 7 day cruise with my carry on. All 6 of us wheel along a regulation size bag behind us.

Certainly, not trying to trivialize your situation, but I assume that you did receive your luggage 2 days later, correct? That being said, you just get yourself the best deal you can on Carnival next time, keep on reading these boards for hints, fly in a day early and be overly prepared.

Also, from a financial standpoint, it was only a few dollars, it really was and you should not even give it a second thought. Carnival should have given you some sort of compensation without a doubt and the letters you received were outrageous. I bet if you contacted someone else, you would have gotten a different answer.

Again, they were wrong...you now know what to do in the future and there is no need to let it bother you any more. Chin up!;)

It seems as if the OP got a trusted TA (previous trips) involved with his plight after the trip as perhaps another vehicle to use to help get resolution.

The Guest Service desk should have stepped up and given vouchers for the tuxes.

I know that when I had problems with my 1st cruise last year, Carnival was very generous in resolutions....yes I wrote a real letter and yes I did tell them about all the great things that did go on with the trip and then let them know what the problem was.

OP....good luck and ALWAYS write a real letter when handling expensive trips as an email doesn't go very far.

Speaking ONLY for me, when I am about to lay out a four figure amount for a trip (or heck, even a high 3 figure for that matter), you can bet your butt that I am researching the bejesus out of it to see what all is available where I'm going, what I want to do, how the weather is going to be, etc. Sorry, but I don't have enough expendable cash (though perhaps you do and that is fine) to just drop a few grand and "hope" that the vacation fairies are going to show up and "make everything ok". Further, it didn't seem to take him long to find this board once something went wrong, how is it that he just trusted the vacation fairies ahead of time but could find this board in record time when he got scre*ed by Carnival customer service? Just sayin'. I feel for the guy, but am not surprised in the least by Carnival's response. The response he has posted is the norm for them. Occasionally, they will make things good (and as another pointed out, forwarding this to John Heald may be the secret), but that is always the exception. Never the rule.

He's never cruised before, do you think everyone that does is on here? He wasn't looking for vacation fairies at all to appease him. Just human beings with a touch of compassion and maybe some understanding. Something I would like to think are two traits that customer service entails. Apparently not.

hhmmmm I think you have forgotten your pom-poms leisures-and-sports-075.gif

Excuse me but you do not have to be a cheerleader or a rocket scientist to get the fact that you know when you flights leave and when your ship leaves. You do not have to be on this board to figure that out either. I would think when someone spends the amount of money that they do on a vacation they would make sure they understood just what is going on.

I too am a diehard Carnival fan, but unless you've been stuck on a vacation without your luggage as I have, you just can't get the full effect. Luckily for Race, the luggage surfaced with plenty of days left for his cruise. Unlike me, My luggage was lost through the airline and I didn't receive it back until I returned home from a week long cancun stay. I shared my husband's clothes. Although I still love Carnival, I feel that their response was horrible. Race does not seem to be asking for much. 20% discount is nothing to a major cruise company such as Carnival. They wouldn't even feel the loss. Just as they would not have felt the loss by lending tuxedos free of charge, and whatever else little tokens they could have extended.Taking good care of this unhappy customer. Being that I have never had any horrible experiences with Carnival, I will continue to travel with them and no one else, but an experience like that would turn me away.

Archived