Never Cruising Carnival Again - PLEASE read and give me a chance !

RaceMedic

Excuse me but you do not have to be a cheerleader or a rocket scientist to get the fact that you know when you flights leave and when your ship leaves. You do not have to be on this board to figure that out either. I would think when someone spends the amount of money that they do on a vacation they would make sure they understood just what is going on.

Yes, you would think Carnival would understand that when they are the ones offering this service.

Excuse me but you do not have to be a cheerleader or a rocket scientist to get the fact that you know when you flights leave and when your ship leaves. You do not have to be on this board to figure that out either. I would think when someone spends the amount of money that they do on a vacation they would make sure they understood just what is going on.

Yes, and twice he called to ask about the minimal time between the flight landing and the ship leaving. That is more then my parents would have done. They would be silly enough to expect that if they bought a cruise ticket and airfare to go with it through the same company - it would work as described....

Something I would like to think are two traits that customer service entails. Apparently not.

You got it. I've been hanging out here for about 3+ years or so, and I can tell you that, statistically speaking, there are more posts here about how bad Carnival's customer service is vs. how they made things right. Now, is that likely due to human behavior that one will not get on these boards and rave about great customer service, but will find us in a heartbeat when something goes wrong? Absolutely. I'm merely speaking from a perspective of reading the posts over the years and seeing how many people Carnival has blown off, so to speak, that I am not surprised in the least by this response. As I posted above, is it right? Heck no. But it is the way it is.

I can't read the letters (I'm getting blank pages even after re-installing and updating Adobe) but I am gathering from the responses that Carnival dropped the ball for you. I absolutely second the motion to post your concerns on John Heald's blog and mark it "Please John Reply". He seems to genuinely care about helping people resolve issues with Carnival.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

But they are responsible to do what they can to make it right.

They go on and on about how if you book an excursion through Carnival, they will take responsibility... They often use the example of getting you back to the ship.... Cruise booked excursions will, other may not..

In this case, Carnival knew these people were late, and could have held the ship for 1/2 an hour more so they could get their luggage. If they couldn't do that, then they could have paid more attention to the details....

All in all a 20% discount or OBC on the next cruise would be nothing to do....

Please do your research. Throughly read Carnival's rules and policies regarding flights, AND excursions. It is clearly stated in writing that they are not responsible for the performance of the airlines OR the excursion operators. If the ship sails at 4PM, You and you alone are responsible for you being on it or not. No matter who you booked what through. That is not to say that they floorboard it and throw up a rooster tail getting out of port at 4:00:01. They will and do wait as long as possible. And do help pax to get to the next port. But they are not legally responsible.

Dan

They stated that they are not responsible for what the airlines do, it is in the contract.

Nobody is responsible for the airlines.........but being that this is Carnival promoted airfare........you would think they have experience getting people from point A to point B:rolleyes:

I just hope that Carnival is reading all this and maybe, we can hope, using this as an object lesson. The purser could have made a friend for life had they just given the guy the tux. Instead, there are many, many people that know of the pettiness of this one Carnival employee. Pages and pages of people know.

As to Carnival air, DESPITE what they cram into their contacts, the disclaimer and exculpatory clauses, Carnival undertook to schedule the OP flights not as a courtesy but for PROFIT. Air is a hugh profit center for cruiselines. Just look at what a cruise line want's for air vs what you can book on your own. Most often there is a big profit. Given that this is a for profit operation, I think you can hold them to a certain standard to ensure that the flights they book will truly get their customers on the ship with a reasonable amount of time to spare. The OPs original flights did not have that reasonable amount of time. Heck I've picked up luggage in FLL and Miami and waited forever just for that. Also, flights are very often delayed and some airlines/flights more than other. Carnival chose these flights.

I'm not saying the cruiseline is responsible for all flights and for airline equip failures misc schedule changes, that sort of thing, say too bad. However in this case, it was too close to begin with. OP recognized it and contacted Carnival twice. They assured him no problem. From that point, I believe Carnival accepted responsibility and can no longer point to their contract to shelter them.

So that's my take on this. Flame away. Good luck to Racemedic. Your post is a good object lesson to book your own air.

Well, I just posted the link to this thread on John Heald's Facebook page. Don't know if it will do any good but maybe it will atleast help to address the issues you had once you got on board. I personally have had them to be wonderful & accomadating in the case of delayed luggage & have also read it on the boards. The pursers desk told us that they always try to do what they can to help with that situation.

Race, sorry your trip started off so poorly. I know it really had to have put a damper on things. Next time, you'll book your own air and you and your family will fly in the day before. Since this was your first time-you didn't know.

My only other comment besides wishing you better future cruises is that I think your letters (especially the first one) were just too long. I mean really? Three pages of complaints for a day and a half of missing bags? I'm not trying to diminish your inconvenience-Lord knows I would have been ticked as well, but I just think it's better to keep it short and sweet. I would have only written a paragraph or two. You know the people on the receiving end of such letters and complaints don't have all day to sit there reading-you probably did yourself in with the first letter you sent.

Also, the bolding of some words such as SHOCKED AND APPALLED comes off as being overly dramatic. And, I also think the fact that you demanded 20% off a future cruise really sealed it for you.

I agree that Carnival should have given you the tux vouchers. As for the hypertension meds and the doctor's fee, you may not know that the onboard physician is an independent contractor. I don't think any doctor is going to dispense meds without examining you and getting a history. The $50 fee seems reasonble to me. You could have gotten reimbursed later by your insurance.

They stated that they are not responsible for what the airlines do, it is in the contract.

When they continue to book people on flights leaving little or no margin of error or delay. Very professional.

But they are responsible to do what they can to make it right.

They go on and on about how if you book an excursion through Carnival, they will take responsibility... They often use the example of getting you back to the ship.... Cruise booked excursions will, other may not..

In this case, Carnival knew these people were late, and could have held the ship for 1/2 an hour more so they could get their luggage. If they couldn't do that, then they could have paid more attention to the details....

All in all a 20% discount or OBC on the next cruise would be nothing to do....

Anyone can get an OBC..just ask for it...I did and got it...the TA said no way will they give you one...I called Carnival..they said they were giving OBC's on that cruise......I told the TA and got it. Of course when dealing with Carnival one must "pretend" to be booking...my guise is to say to the PVP that I am ready to book..."however"...I need a few things cleared up first before I can book...and with them cleared up..I can book. One of the things I want them to deal on is OBC. For our 2 Carnival cruises I used online TA's but maybe next time I will use a PVP..not sure yet but am willing to give it a try. In the past I have just gathered my info just to be sure I was getting the best deal. But who knows.

My method is also another way of bypassing the TA/PVP thing when you want to get info straight from Carnival even though you booked with a TA however do not use your home phone when doing this..use your cell!

Don't bother saying I am wasting the PVP's time...it's my money and I need the best deal.

Carnival really needs to make this right.

What? His tuxedo rental? or just get their act together when booking flights? He really isn't out much money and his TA is giving him a deal next time...or so they say:rolleyes:

He should not have to find cruise critic to go on a cruise. Seriously - that is ridiculous to even suggest he is to blame b/c he didn't find this board in time.

One of the most posted question in this forum is "Do you think 2pm is a good arrival time"

Tons of people here would of answered HECK NO, GET IT CHANGED NOW!!!! what makes matters even worse is that he is traveling from Canada.

One of the things that Air Canada does to their customers is get them stranded at a U.S. airport. They have exceeded their alotted flight time and are grounded once they arrive anywhere in the U.S. this practice has caused many Canadians to miss their ship.

One of the most posted question in this forum is "Do you think 2pm is a good arrival time"

Tons of people here would of answered HECK NO, GET IT CHANGED NOW!!!! what makes matters even worse is that he is traveling from Canada.

One of the things that Air Canada does to their customers is get them stranded at a U.S. airport. They have exceeded their alotted flight time and are grounded once they arrive anywhere in the U.S. this practice has caused many Canadians to miss their ship.

Isn't that the same question that Carnival should be asking themselves when they book these flights?

Anyone can get an OBC..just ask for it...I did and got it...the TA said no way will they give you one...I called Carnival..they said they were giving OBC's on that cruise......I told the TA and got it. Of course when dealing with Carnival one must "pretend" to be booking...my guise is to say to the PVP that I am ready to book..."however"...I need a few things cleared up first before I can book...and with them cleared up..I can book. One of the things I want them to deal on is OBC. For our 2 Carnival cruises I used online TA's but maybe next time I will use a PVP..not sure yet but am willing to give it a try. In the past I have just gathered my info just to be sure I was getting the best deal. But who knows.

My method is also another way of bypassing the TA/PVP thing when you want to get info straight from Carnival even though you booked with a TA however do not use your home phone when doing this..use your cell!

Don't bother saying I am wasting the PVP's time...it's my money and I need the best deal.

You could also be getting your PVP into a whole lot of trouble doing what you're doing.

I know a PVP personally and know the kind of restrictions they face when it comes to talking to clients booked with TAs. They can--and some have in the past--lost their jobs for dealing with the clients of TAs.

Sure, the PVP could say "But the guest lied to me"...what happens if on this occasion--unlike the OP--Carnival sides with the guest instead of their employee?

Carnival's handling of this situation was horrible! The OP's letter was well written & their suggestion for compensation was minimal. In business one should consider what is the return for their "expense." Offering tuxes for men & formal wear rental for the ladies would cost them zero expense, as I'm sure there were plenty of unused formal wear in the rental shop. The return would have been a much more positive start after Carnival booking a flight way to close to sailing (forget all that BS about people should know not to book thru the cruiseline. If a large corporation can't do an adequate job of such then don't offer the option). A 20% discount on a future cruise was also a minimal request. The OP was more than fair!

An example of a large business handling things in a classy way...We own a timeshare at a very large resort for a specific week. In my mind, we always go "the third week of July." Car loaded, drive there with family & friend in tow, go to check in & the employee doesn't see my reservation. Well, due to leap year the "3rd week" wasn't my week - I was a week early, knew my husband couldn't change vacation, & place totally booked! I stood at the door of check-in trying to leave to go to my car to tell the family my mistake, knowing my kids would be crushed, and the tears started streaming down my face. Short of it...mgr. spotted me from her office, came out to see what was the matter, called a rental agency who had some of the houses in the resort, got us one at no charge to me even though I offered to pay anything they asked (mgr. convinced them to take my week) AND said she felt I had such a terrible start to a vacation that she was treating our whole family to dinner at a lovely resort restaurant any night of our choice! This was way above what anyone would expect, especially since I was TOTALLY at fault. Although I came to know the mgr. after that as a truly exceptional human being, who wasn't trying to get anything out of assisting us, we talked up this experience so much to friends that they purchased a timeshare there too. The resort's "expense" in assisting us had a profitable return for them.

I read all four letters and completely side with you. This whole situation makes me really angry with Carnival.

We are new cruisers as well, and booked our own flights for our first cruise because we wanted more certainty with respect to the times, and didn't want to wait until the last minute to know when they were. We flew in the day of the cruise and luckily had no problems.

This time around, we also booked our own flights but moreso because Carnival was charging double for unknown flights, when we could book our own (and choose our own itinerary) for half of the price. If Carnival's price was cheaper (like some kind of package deal) we would have seriously considered booking flights through them and would have trusted that they would book flights with enough time to get to the ship, and leeway for delays. This time around I also discovered CruiseCritic, and as a result we decided to book our flight in the day before the cruise.

I'm bothered by so many things about your situation - 1) that they booked you so close to begin with, 2) that you called twice and they assured you it was ok, 3) that they promised you they would hold the ship and didn't do so, knowing that it meant you losing your luggage. It's not like you were endlessly delayed with no way of knowing when you'd get there. YOU WERE THERE! You just needed to wait for your luggage! 4) they didnt give you any kind of vouchers for clothing or tuxes for formal night, 5) they totally blew you off in your letters.

I don't think I'd ever cruise Carnival again if I were you, just for the principle of it, but whatever cruiseline you may choose in the future, you should take from this experience: BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS YOURSELF! they are cheaper, you choose your itinerary, you know what your flights are further in advance, and you can avoid this type of situation in the future.

I hope they make this right.

I agree with the others. Their response to you was pathetic. They should have given you some allowance for clothing. As far as your BP meds you should always travel with meds in your carry on bags. I hope they make this right for you or I also would never cruise with them again.

As a self-described first time cruiser I would have thought that your travel agent would have provided somewhat better care of you before the cruise. He/she should have given you tips on packing your meds in your carry-on bag, thinking about purchasing cruise insurance and at least discussing your travel plans to make sure they were feasible.

I also think you over-reacted to the situation. A shorter letter to Carnival would have probably been better. I do think that under the circumstances that it would have been appropriate for the purser to provide you with appropriate formal wear for the second night. It would have rectified most of your complaints. As a medical professional I do think you should have thought of having sufficient medication with you at all times even if you were a first time cruiser.

Actually, your situation is a living example of why folks should have a good cruise insurance policy in effect. Had you had such a policy you could have gotten them involved as soon as the problems appeared and, depending on policy coverage, would have been covered for formal wear and any other required incidentals.

I wish you and your family a less eventual future cruise.

Archived