Traveling alone with son

libertylover

Ok. So what do you do if your husband is dead? Do you need to bring a copy of the death certificate with you every time you travel? What do you do if you don't know who your child's father is? Do you bring a copy of the birth certificate showing no father listed? What if the father is in prison? I can't believe that it could really be so complicated to travel with your OWN child. Hopefully I never have this problem because it would be really frustrating!

Ok. So what do you do if your husband is dead? Do you need to bring a copy of the death certificate with you every time you travel? What do you do if you don't know who your child's father is? Do you bring a copy of the birth certificate showing no father listed? What if the father is in prison? I can't believe that it could really be so complicated to travel with your OWN child. Hopefully I never have this problem because it would be really frustrating!

Yes, I bring a copy of my husband's death certificate every time I leave the country with my daughters. My friend who adopted as a single mother brings her paperwork everytime she leaves the country. It was a pain to get my hands on certified copies of the death certificate, but it wasn't frustrating because I know the whole point is to stop parents from leaving the country with their own child if they don't have permission, because children are kidnapped by the non-custodial parent all the time. It's also a pain to have to get a passport, and to wait in line at customs, but I don't mind the frustration so that laws can be enforced.

Best,

Mia

Yes' date=' I bring a copy of my husband's death certificate every time I leave the country with my daughters. My friend who adopted as a single mother brings her paperwork everytime she leaves the country. It was a pain to get my hands on certified copies of the death certificate, but it wasn't frustrating because I know the whole point is to stop parents from leaving the country with their own child if they don't have permission, because children are kidnapped by the non-custodial parent all the time. It's also a pain to have to get a passport, and to wait in line at customs, but I don't mind the frustration so that laws can be enforced.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Well put.

I do find it a bit disturbing that so many people do find it so easy to freely leave the country with a child for whom they do not have proper documentation.

I also find it amazing that there are SO many sinlge parents out there who are pretty much clueless as to all of the ramifications of not having legal custody issues completely spelled out. So many of the reactions on the family board are "I never had a problem getting in or out so who cares?!" -- there is a lot more to responsible parenting than getting on board a ship to a caribbean isle with your kid.

Could someone tell me where to find a form letter with blanks to put specific info? I had one last year and can't find a copy of the darned thing anywhere. It was a very specific letter with areas for me to put specific flight numbers and dates, the name of the cruise ship and dates and specific ports of call. Any help would be greatly appreciated! BTW, I wasn't asked to produce the letter on our cruise, but I'm not about to take any chances!! ;)

In my mind, it only makes sense that any minor traveling with less than 2 parents would need some sort of documentation that the adult they are with has permission to take them out of the country.

I found this at travel.state.gov - it pertains specifically to Mexico. Defnitely a more reliable source than random people on an internet forum.

Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or closest Mexican Consulate for current information.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html#entry_requirements

There is a drop-down box where you can pick any country.

But, this definitely seems to be one of those "better safe than sorry" situations. And I'm glad I saw this thread because I hadn't even thought about that. Not an issue for me to get the documentation at all, so may as well have it.

• 4 weeks later...
I am like you, have no idea where the ex is. I do have full legal custody and it is signed by the judge but they didn't put any seals on it which I have sometimes seen. We leave Monday and I am stressed.

Hi Heather. It's Pam from the roll call thread. I think as long as you have the custody papers you will be fine. When Shawn and I cruised last year, they didn't even ask me for the parental permission even though I had it. I got mine signed and ready this year too. I'm not offering it, but I have it just in case. Looking forward to meeting you Monday!!

Archived