Odd Email - from Carnival??

abmom

I got one of these a few weeks ago. Opened it to find out that the Elation was changing its itinerary and I needed to change dates or pick a different itinerary. Pretty important, and could have easily ended up in my spam folder.

Why TIF is what I want to know. I mean really. JPG would be better if they need it to be an image. PDF would be better or just HTML or text. I guess it just parallels their terrible Website.

They use .TIF because that's the old acceptible universal document writer file. We use it at my work to save documentation to fight Chargebacks, because thats the only format Amex will allow. Plus I bet their reservation system is the same one years and years ago, and it won't support PDF. :)

Don't open it! Call your TA or your PVP with Carnival and ask if any emails have been sent to you regarding your cruise or if there is anything you need to know with regard to your cruise. Tell them about the email you got. Carnival will want to know someone is using their name to spam you.

Attachments from unknown senders are a big no-no. An official email from Carnival would have a name of whoever you've been dealing with, not XXXXX@carnival.com

While it never hurts to call Carnival to check & maybe enough calls will have them stop sending e-mails this way, but YES Carnival does send mailings out with that XXXXX@ carnival. com. I've gotten many in this form since I book a number of cabins on a few different cruises. The current mailing is about the flexible dining room option, received similar back when fuel surcharges were being added to already booked cruises, then when fuel surcharge taken off, now letting passengers know of dining option, etc.). I just can't believe someone in there hasn't come up with something better than xxxxx as their sender name! Annoys me everytime I see it.

I work in IT, and unfortunately, it is all too easy for ANYONE to send out emails that looks like it comes from ANY email address or name. The email and internet system are 'broken', but a corporation like Carnival should have a better policy of transmitting information safely to their customers (IMHO).

Archived