Are Wheel Chairs available?

Catrin

Hi Everyone,

Well, my dear husband decided to have emergency surgery two days ago, and had his appendix removed.

The good thing, is we have been given the gohead.... to cruise this weekend! It won't be an exciting week, but it will certainly be a relaxing one!

He is fine to walk around the ship, but I am concerned with the long walks sometimes at the islands... we are going to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Martin.

Does Carnival have wheel chairs available to use?

Any experiences out there?

Thanks,

Catrin

First, I so happy that your husband is OK... I lost a friend to a ruptured appendix a number of years ago.

Next, yes... wheel chairs are avialalbe:

If you are requesting wheelchair assistance with embarkation and debarkation, Carnival Cruise Lines has a limited supply of wheelchairs onboard each of our ships. In order to accommodate all our guests, we reserve them for embarkation and debarkation in the pier facility only. Furthermore, the wheelchairs onboard are used for emergencies and time-to-time usage, therefore, Carnival Cruise Lines is unable to confirm the exclusivity of a wheelchair for the entire duration of the cruise

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

Print this form and fax it as soon as you possibly can:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

Best of luck...

:)

Be careful! I posted a similar thread when I first joined CC, and got reamed for asking by someone here and made to feel stupid for not searching the carnival web site for my answer.

Anyway, Carnival DOES have wheelchairs for emergency use on board the ship only. You cannot take them off the ship (except for embarking/debarking), and they are on a first-come, first-served basis on the ship.

However, you can do what I did for my upcoming cruise. My mom is in a similar situation as your DH where she can't walk long distances or stand a long time. She REFUSED to let me spend the $95 to rent her a chair which would have been delivered to and picked up from her cabin. So I posted a Want Ad on my local craigslist for an inexpensive wheelchair in decent shape (doesn't have to be new). Within 12 hours, a woman emailed me an offer of a like-new chair that had been used only twice for the low, low, low price of $25. I was thrilled! Mom protested at first until I told her how much I paid. :D

Be careful! I posted a similar thread when I first joined CC, and got reamed for asking by someone here and made to feel stupid for not searching the carnival web site for my answer.

Anyway, Carnival DOES have wheelchairs for emergency use on board the ship only. You cannot take them off the ship (except for embarking/debarking), and they are on a first-come, first-served basis on the ship.

However, you can do what I did for my upcoming cruise. My mom is in a similar situation as your DH where she can't walk long distances or stand a long time. She REFUSED to let me spend the $95 to rent her a chair which would have been delivered to and picked up from her cabin. So I posted a Want Ad on my local craigslist for an inexpensive wheelchair in decent shape (doesn't have to be new). Within 12 hours, a woman emailed me an offer of a like-new chair that had been used only twice for the low, low, low price of $25. I was thrilled! Mom protested at first until I told her how much I paid. :D

Let me apologize for what happened when you first arrived here.

New folks don't know how to search and for the longest time search didn't work anyway...

I'm glad you decided to stick around. Lots of folks who get beat up upon arriving here never come back...

Mach

Let me apologize for what happened when you first arrived here.

New folks don't know how to search and for the longest time search didn't work anyway...

I'm glad you decided to stick around. Lots of folks who get beat up upon arriving here never come back...

Mach

With my ankle issue, I called carnival and they will arranage for you a wheelchair from an independant company to be waiting for you when you arrive. (FOR A CHARGE OF COURSE) just call them and ask them what you need to do. They do have them on board, but not for full time use.

Thanks, Mach! You didn't have to apologize for someone else's rudeness from months ago. :) My mention of the incident was only an attempt to prevent a repeat occurrence here.

Catrin, another idea for a wheelchair in ports besides craigslist is your local freecycle site. Or ask your TA to recommend a rental company.

Good luck and I hope this cruise is just what the dr. ordered for you and your hubby!:cool:

Archived