Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

I was getting so excited reading your report! It sounds incredible and I can't wait to be there myself!

Thanks for the tip on Cannes. That sounds like a great idea for us.

I want to hear more when you are rested!!!

WELCOME HOME RICH!!

I'm thrilled to hear that you had an amazing time. That's what I wanted hear. That it's a knock your socks off kind of experience.

When you get some rest, I'm sure the rest of us have a million questions for you, like how was the ship, the service on the ship, what did you wish you brought but didn't, etc.

Jet lagged! Can't sleep!

The ship is gorgeous! We didn't see much of it though. It was a weird cruise---we were so tired running around all day that we crashed by 11 p.m. every night! Didn't go in the pool---Only saw one show---Did not bowl in teh Bliss lounge. You guys are gonna have a blast!

I am sure negative folks are lurking so I must mention that there was a cracked glass in my friends cabin---It was replaced within 10 minutes--we all agreed it should have been replaced in one minute---Norwegian sucks!

Other complaints...

The iced tea was too cold.

The fruit was too sweet---seriously folks the pineapple is to die for!

The ice cream was too creamy.

Jet lagged! Can't sleep!

The ship is gorgeous! We didn't see much of it though. It was a weird cruise---we were so tired running around all day that we crashed by 11 p.m. every night! Didn't go in the pool---Only saw one show---Did not bowl in teh Bliss lounge. You guys are gonna have a blast!

Darn! Then you missed the naked dancing ladies. You missed a good thread while you were gone.:rolleyes:

If you're still up...here's a question. I'm in the midst of packing. Is there anything you wished you had packed that would have come in handy, but you didn't have?

Darn! Then you missed the naked dancing ladies. You missed a good thread while you were gone.:rolleyes:

If you're still up...here's a question. I'm in the midst of packing. Is there anything you wished you had packed that would have come in handy, but you didn't have?

Nope! I packed five pairs of "dinner" pants, but alternated between black and khaki Dockers. Four pairs of shorts----seven tee shirts----seven shirts (like the ones the guy wears on Two and a half Men)----oh bring an extra memory thing for your camera----Stan took about 4,000 pictures.

I was on a cruise with naked ladies and guys dancing on tables, but that is another thread---LOL!

Nope! I packed five pairs of "dinner" pants, but alternated between black and khaki Dockers. Four pairs of shorts----seven tee shirts----seven shirts (like the ones the guy wears on Two and a half Men)----oh bring an extra memory thing for your camera----Stan took about 4,000 pictures.

I was on a cruise with naked ladies and guys dancing on tables, but that is another thread---LOL!

I am bringing multiple memory cards. 4000 pictures? Are you serious? :eek:

What was your favorite place to eat on the ship?

How crowded were most places at dinner time?

Did you hear of anyone having problems with pickpockets?

It sounds like you had such an amazing time!!!

What was your favorite place to eat on the ship?

How crowded were most places at dinner time?

Did you hear of anyone having problems with pickpockets?

It sounds like you had such an amazing time!!!

Le Bistro was my fave! Order the French onion soup, escargot and steak!

Be careful in Italy--we didn't have a pickpocket problem--tour guide said to be careful around Trevi Fountain

We (group of 5) ate dinner around 7 and never had a wait or a problem getting a reservation!

Blur Lagoon is also a fun place to eat "snacky" food!

I am sure negative folks are lurking so I must mention that there was a cracked glass in my friends cabin---It was replaced within 10 minutes--we all agreed it should have been replaced in one minute---Norwegian sucks!

Other complaints...

The iced tea was too cold.

The fruit was too sweet---seriously folks the pineapple is to die for!

The ice cream was too creamy.

I'm so glad you returned in such a chipper mood! Can you tell me the earliest I can get off the ship in Malta if I'm not on a NCL excursion? And, do you know of anyone who went to a winery/wine tasting around Pisa or Lucca. I'm thinking of getting a taxi and going on our own. Did you have a NCL planned meet and greet? Tell me about it please.

Hi Daring! Like you, I can't get enough of talking about this cruise! My roll call is fairly quiet, not much chatting except for tour share requests.

We sail May 10...just a month away! For Christmas, I gave DH a carry on duffel bag, filled with 2 inflatable pillows, 2 light weight throws, and 2 sleep eye masks in black (from Walmart). He was thrilled with the gift, and wondered why he got 2 of everything, lol!

I think I'm ready, I've got my flights booked, private tours for the Italian ports booked, edocs printed, my Welcome Aboard booklet and luggage tags have arrived. I think all that's left is packing, and I plan to start putting together a few outfits this week-end.

Here are two awesome threads to whet your appetite:

Radio's Live Report from the Gem last month has some awesome pics of the ship: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s...d.php?t=942285

Here is Celebrat's review from last year for "our cruise" : http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s...d.php?t=820569

Thanks so much for the info. I just booked this cruise for 10/04/2009.

Can't wait to hear about everything that you can remember when you return..........:)

Rich, Thank you so much for the info. I just booked for 10/04/09 and I am already very excited. I thought I read that the GEM was doing away with their buffet?

I am a huge fan of a buffet with large salad bar for lunch and usually prefer a quick buffet for a small breakfast too. Although it doesn't look like we would usually be on board for lunches anyway.

Hope you are starting to get yourself back on schedule.

Hi, I just wanted to say that I too was on the Gem, just arrived back yesterday. It was our first cruise and it was truly amazing. I've just typed a long post about restaurants, activities, etc but lost it in cyberspace! So I'll cut it short and say that everything really was wonderful - including the weather.

It was a dream come true.

Le Bistro was my fave! Order the French onion soup, escargot and steak!

Be careful in Italy--we didn't have a pickpocket problem--tour guide said to be careful around Trevi Fountain

We (group of 5) ate dinner around 7 and never had a wait or a problem getting a reservation!

Blur Lagoon is also a fun place to eat "snacky" food!

Thanks for the tips! Le Bistro sounds wonderful!

I'd love to see some of your pictures!!

Hi, I just wanted to say that I too was on the Gem, just arrived back yesterday. It was our first cruise and it was truly amazing. I've just typed a long post about restaurants, activities, etc but lost it in cyberspace! So I'll cut it short and say that everything really was wonderful - including the weather.

Sorry your review simply floated away. I hate when that happens, but I'm glad you had a wonderful cruise.

I would have enjoyed reading about your experience, YTZ. I'm a first time cruiser too so this is all very exciting to me. I'm glad you had such a good time. I hope our weather is as great as yours!

We just received the 'details' on our work sponsored cruise. If you recall, my DHs boss has bought out the entire Gem for two weeks June 20th-July 6th. I just wanna rave about everything she's including for us, but I think it sounds crass, so I won't. But one thing, she's bringing on a Second City improv troupe and they're holding classes for adults and children. I think it'll be so much fun. I've always wanted to take an improv class.

I've GOT to go shopping, but want to lost those 10 pounds I never lose before going. That means I'll be shopping the morning of the 20th. LOL!

(anyone else here on this cruise?)

We just received the 'details' on our work sponsored cruise. If you recall, my DHs boss has bought out the entire Gem for two weeks June 20th-July 6th. I just wanna rave about everything she's including for us, but I think it sounds crass, so I won't. But one thing, she's bringing on a Second City improv troupe and they're holding classes for adults and children. I think it'll be so much fun. I've always wanted to take an improv class.

I've GOT to go shopping, but want to lost those 10 pounds I never lose before going. That means I'll be shopping the morning of the 20th. LOL!

(anyone else here on this cruise?)

The entire ship for two weeks? Wow...I want to work for that company!

What a trip that's going to be. Will the itinerary be different since the Gem does a normal 7 day itinerary?

MickeysGal - I didn't realize that the Gem is typically only 1 week. That said, it looks like we must be combining the Western Med and the Eastern Med. We do Barcelona, Rome, Sicily, Athens, Ephesus (Izmir), Istanbul, Santorini, Valletta Malta and back to Barcelona.

Does anyone see a reason an active woman MUST bring shorts? I'm a shorts gal, but that's because at home I'm typically chasing after soccer balls and gardening etc. I'm thinking mostly cute skirts and dresses on the cruise. Except for the rock climbing wall. It might be a good idea to wear short for that!

Coincidentally, we'll be on the cruise for our 13th wedding anniversary. Nice gift.

Archived