Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

I have a great idea for you Daring. You could create shawls (out of material) printed with maps so they could do double duty for everybody and nobody would go off and leave it behind.:D

Ha Ha very funny. Can't believe I'm putting all this dysfunctional behavior out there for the world to see. Oh well, I'm just me and I get by with a little help from my friends. :)

Daring - how to add pictures...

Do you have your pictures in photobucket or some other host site? Copy the URL of the picture...it will start with " http:// ". Then come here, respond to the thread, click on the Insert Image icon, then paste the URL that you copied.

If that is wrong, please someone, correct me and help Daring.

Do you have a picture of you wearing the map as a shawl? Please, oh please...:D

LOL!! Did you really try to use the map as a shoulder cover? Hysterical!! :eek: Something straight out of I Love Lucy.

Those guards mean business...

We had just entered St. Peter's Basillica when I looked around and couldn't find my DH. Thinking he wasn't inside yet and that I had somehow lost him in line, I went back outside to try to find him.

Wrong-o! The guards stopped me. Apparently you can't go OUT the IN door. Harsh words, I'm in the Basillica a total of 10 seconds and already in trouble. I said, I can't find my husband, I must have looked desperate enough, so he then let me go out the in door. Sure enough, he was in the Basillica the whole time.

And, that wasn't the first time that week that you lost somebody in a church... we were first at the Mosta Dome!

How are you guys?

And, that wasn't the first time that week that you lost somebody in a church... we were first at the Mosta Dome!

How are you guys?

That's right!! :D I forgot about that. Thought I'd have to break in to get you both out of there!

We're good. Wishing I was back in Italy to tell you the truth. We're in the throws of possibly remodeling our kitchen and the decisions are making me bonkers. :eek:

How are you both? Are you crusing again this summer? Didn't you say possibly Alaska? Hopefully, you'll see glaciers this time around. :D

That's right!! :D I forgot about that. Thought I'd have to break in to get you both out of there!

We're good. Wishing I was back in Italy to tell you the truth. We're in the throws of possibly remodeling our kitchen and the decisions are making me bonkers. :eek:

How are you both? Are you crusing again this summer? Didn't you say possibly Alaska? Hopefully, you'll see glaciers this time around. :D

Definitely wish we were back in Italy! We are swamped with our catalog. We're going to press this Thursday. After that, fix me a big drink to celebrate.

Possible trip to Alaska. It all depends on MIL. The idea is to take her as it's always been a dream of hers. I talked with my SIL last week about both of us going with MIL. My MIL is in fairly good health, but tires easily and somestimes is forgetful. Having my SIL would be nice, just as extra help as well as when my MIL goes to bed early, I'd have someone to go out and about with. SIL is all up for it, we need to coordinate schedules which for her is the biggest constraint. Then, convincing MIL it's okay to leave her brand new kitty home with FIL will be the final challenge. We're looking at August 22 or 23, can't remember the exact date. I'm okay if we go and okay if we don't. I really just want to do this for my MIL. And, it would be nice to see the glaciers this time.

Greg looking at the Epic for next year, possibly the TA. You guys should look at it too.

Remodeling the kitchen? Oh boy, that's a lot of work and decisions!!!! How is your DD's friend?

FLORENCE:

"Why are we going in the direction of that place called Firenze and not Florence?" Apparently this is a regular question asked of our tour guide.

To visit Florence we had booked the ship's "Florence on your own" tour and booked our own tickets on line for a visit to the Uffizi Gallery. Florence is somewhere you can get to from Livorno by train, but the journey is quite long and you have to either take a bus or a taxi to the station as well. We decided the ship's tour was the easiest way to get to Florence, although it wasn't the cheapest. Others from our M&G took the train and we bumped into them while walking around.

On the way to Florence, the guide spoke extensively about what to do in Florence, how to get around, what to expect, etc. As the centre of Florence is a pedestrian zone (save for selected vehicles - some of which are electric so you don't get to listen for the imminence of being run-over). We were dropped off by coach at the train station and walked as a group to the baptistry by the Duomo (Cathedral) which was also to be our meeting point. Anyone planning to travel independently may want to know that the station is about a 7-8 minute walk from the baptistry. The Florence on your Own tour with NCL allows 5 hours free time, roughly 10.30am to 3.30 local time.

We had a look around and set off to look at the Ponte Vecchio. The buildings in Florence are beautiful. If you go the other side of the bridge and walk along for a bit there is an amazing pastry shop that does lovely pastries and soft drinks, far more reasonably than in the tourist trap that is the over side of the bridge. It is on the left hand side of the road towards Palazzo Pitti, if you get as far as the palace you've gone too far. It has a pasteleria (?spelling) sign outside and is a haven of made on the premises treats behind an unprepossessing frontage.

We then set off for the Piazza Della Signora (home to the copy of Michaelangelo's David) and a lovely - and very touristy - old square, followed by Piazza Santa Croce with its lovely old church. There are plenty of shops in this area but they were often hugely touristy and very expensive.

Our next stop was our main destination: the Uffizi Gallery. The queues to get in the Uffizi can take up to 3 hours, but with our tickets purchased in advanced we sailed straight up to the tickets in advance window. The Uffizi is a large art gallery and we got to see some amazing Caravaggios, da Vincis, Michaelangelos etc. The highpoint was seeing Boticelli's "The Birth of Venus". There was a da Vinci that was amazing too, however there is not an extensive collection of later art here, so we were a little disappointed when comparing to other great art galleries (the Louvre, Hermitage, Vatican, Prado, etc).

After visiting the Uffizi we spent a little time wandering around, shopping at the Ferrari store (for a fridge magnet rather than a car sadly), eating pizza (really bad from a street vendor) and gelato (magnificent) before meeting our guide. Florence is very easy to walk around and as the streets are often narrow the shade offered a pleasant respite from the heat of Rome, even though in the sun it was probably a little warmer.

On the way back by coach there was an unexpected surprise. Albeit from a distance we passed Pisa and were able to see the Leaning Tower. We were on a different route to normal as there had been a crash, but if I was doing this again I'd ask at the beginning which side to sit to see this on the way home, as apparently it is visible from both sides and you can really see the lean, even from the distance, you could see the duomo also.

Well, that's all for Florence, I'll write up Cannes when I get a moment.

Can anyone suggest which excursions I should do? Also, did you book through the cruise line or is there another site? Thanks. Dan

We booked excursions in Rome, Florence and Naples through http://www.romeinlimo.com We enjoyed being in a small van and not on a big tour bus and also didn't want to wonder around on our own and waste precious time in port.

Two of our CC tour groups had booked this same excursion so we could keep the teenagers together. I'm not going to mention the name of this tour company since I was less than pleased with not getting all that was advertised, although it ended up being a really nice and enjoyable day. We were picked up by two separate tour cars at 8 AM and rode to the lovely walled city of Lucca. This was one of my favorite places and I really want to go back one day. It was supposedly once owned by Napoleon Bonaparte's sister and is so charming with its narrow streets, side walk cafés, and loads of specialty shops. Very few cars were seen; it seemed that most everyone walked or rode their bikes to work or shopping. My son spent most of the two hours there in video or book stores trying to find his favorite books or videos in Italian. The highlight for me was the Duomo, Lucca's Romanesque cathedral which dates back to the 12th century. The Gothic interior featured an image of Christ on the cross, supposedly carved by Nicodemus, a purported witness of the crucifixion. The Duomo also boasts Tintoretto's magnificent painting of the Last Supper. The guys also climbed to the top of the tower at the palace and other friends walked the top of the wall around the city. I sat at one of the lovely sidewalk cafés and had espresso and then another for a heavenly desert which my husband and I shared. I'm thinking that this must have been a lot more relaxing that a trip to Florence. I'm happy with my choice; I could move there too, I think. From here we will ride into the mountains...

but I must leave my writing and do some work. See you later

This really sounds like a great day to me.

Although I would love to see Florence, it is quite a trip by the time you go back and forth to the ship.

Two of our CC tour groups had booked this same excursion so we could keep the teenagers together. I'm not going to mention the name of this tour company since I was less than pleased with not getting all that was advertised, although it ended up being a really nice and enjoyable day. We were picked up by two separate tour cars at 8 AM and rode to the lovely walled city of Lucca. This was one of my favorite places and I really want to go back one day. It was supposedly once owned by Napoleon Bonaparte's sister and is so charming with its narrow streets, side walk cafés, and loads of specialty shops. Very few cars were seen; it seemed that most everyone walked or rode their bikes to work or shopping. My son spent most of the two hours there in video or book stores trying to find his favorite books or videos in Italian. The highlight for me was the Duomo, Lucca's Romanesque cathedral which dates back to the 12th century. The Gothic interior featured an image of Christ on the cross, supposedly carved by Nicodemus, a purported witness of the crucifixion. The Duomo also boasts Tintoretto's magnificent painting of the Last Supper. The guys also climbed to the top of the tower at the palace and other friends walked the top of the wall around the city. I sat at one of the lovely sidewalk cafés and had espresso and then another for a heavenly desert which my husband and I shared. I'm thinking that this must have been a lot more relaxing that a trip to Florence. I'm happy with my choice; I could move there too, I think. From here we will ride into the mountains...

but I must leave my writing and do some work. See you later

I'm not going to mention the name of this tour company since I was less than pleased with not getting all that was advertised, although it ended up being a really nice and enjoyable day.

What didn't you get that you thought you were supposed to get?

It sounds like you had a simply lovely, relaxing day. I'm glad that it did work out in the end to be an enjoyable day.

434942794113_0_ALB.jpg

I didn't see any place renting bikes but this little town is very walkable. This is a picture of the residential side of the village. The other side looks more like a small downtown shopping area with that old world charm. Boy I could have bought some shoes there but I didn't because I want to save my money so I can go back one day.

429343794113_0_ALB.jpg

We went to a place that not only produces wine but olive oil too. This is a picture of the olive grove. We went on a tour of how both were processed and learned how to taste for quality.

572323794113_0_ALB.jpg

Beautiful and relaxing place. Happy, happy, smiley smiley!

872323794113_0_ALB.jpg

This is our lunch and wine tasting. Although very nice, we did not get all that was advertised such as pasta, biscotti, and desert wine and then we received a large bill. We had understood that the meal was included ( I noticed this is now added to their website). Thank goodness one of the ladies had brought along a copy and there were some pretty rough negotiations going on for awhile. Needless to say, this was a bit of a buzz kill. I guess we finally worked it out to everyone's satisfaction but we rode in silence to the next stop, Pisa.

We had fun trying to figure out the perfect place to stand in order to get that humorous photo where one tries to push the tower back up.:p I think we needed to stand further away. The paintings in the Duomo were some of the most impressive in my opinion. By the time we got back in the car to view the rest of Pisa University, the tour guides/drivers were in much better mood and must have gotten their money issues worked out with the owner while we were busy at the field of miracles. Another jam packed day. Shower and dress for dinner in the Grand Pacific and off to the show. Spa and then sweet dreams of France.

169416794113_0_ALB.jpg

469416794113_0_ALB.jpg

Can everyone see the pictures or is it just me?

I know, I was feeling like I was seeing the Emperor with no clothes and didn't want to mention it.

Daring, The tour group wasn't Privateshiptours.com was it?

I like the Olive oil tasting being included with at the winery.

I know, I was feeling like I was seeing the Emperor with no clothes and didn't want to mention it.

Daring, The tour group wasn't Privateshiptours.com was it?

I like the Olive oil tasting being included with at the winery.

No it wasn't and can you see the pictures?

Archived