Safety in Belize?

BrookeLH2

I just read a review from someone who took the Carnival Legend about 2 weeks ago and they said that the beach portion of their beach break/snorkel adventure in Belize was canceled due to safety concerns on the beaches in Belize.

I will be on Carnival Legend in 3 weeks from today and we have booked the "Private Island Beach Break" (no snorkeling involved) and now am worried that it will be canceled. It was booked through Carnival, so I know we will be refunded if canceled, but....we're hoping it won't be! :o

Does anyone know about this issue or has anyone experienced a cancellation due to safety concerns? What are these safety concerns???

Thanks!!

I just read a review from someone who took the Carnival Legend about 2 weeks ago and they said that the beach portion of their beach break/snorkel adventure in Belize was canceled due to safety concerns on the beaches in Belize.

I will be on Carnival Legend in 3 weeks from today and we have booked the "Private Island Beach Break" (no snorkeling involved) and now am worried that it will be canceled. It was booked through Carnival, so I know we will be refunded if canceled, but....we're hoping it won't be! :o

Does anyone know about this issue or has anyone experienced a cancellation due to safety concerns? What are these safety concerns???

Thanks!!

I remember reading that post, but I can't find it now, however, I think it was a weather or water condition safety issue that they were referring to, not a personal safety issue. If it was weather related, well, no one has control over that - we all take those risks when booking excursions.

The operations manager for Bannister Island Resort, was shot and killed outside his residence on the island. Altho the killer has not been caught the Island is now open and so are the Carnival excursions back to the Island.

They think it was someone who knew he had a lot of cash on him that night, employee????

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=23515

We did an excursion to Altun-Ha through ShoreTrips and is was phenomenal. Our guide was very pleasant and informative. You can add the zoo also. We had initially thought of cave-tubing, but a woman had recently drowned due to the high water so we skipped it. It's on out list to do next time if we travel outside of the rainy season.

The operations manager for Bannister Island Resort, was shot and killed outside his residence on the island. Altho the killer has not been caught the Island is now open and so are the Carnival excursions back to the Island.

They think it was someone who knew he had a lot of cash on him that night, employee????

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=23515

Wow~

We were there in January and loved it and it makes me sad that a crime was comited there, what a great little island! Empoyee, maybe!

cbc

We went cave tubing and zip lining in Belize last month through Jaguar Paw Resort and had a great time. They make everyone wear life jackets, so I wouldn't be concerned at all about safety. In fact, the water was low in a few areas and we had to carry our tubes. We had a great tour of the city (very informative) and had a good, inexpensive lunch at a local bar/restaurant. I'd definitely recommend it. In fact, we can't wait to go to Roatan in November to try a larger zip lining tour.

Wow~

We were there in January and loved it and it makes me sad that a crime was comited there, what a great little island! Empoyee, maybe!

cbc

Um, I am pretty sure it is not an island, although there are lots of little islands in the area. Thinking of Roatan maybe?

Belize is one of the sketchier places I have been, but I was not worried. I think of it as having as much risk as some US cities. If you go it alone, there is more risk, but if you stick with a reputable tour operator, you lessen the risk considerably. Adds to the adventure, IMO. If I wanted a Disney experience, I'd do a beer tour of the world showcase.;) :D

Read the post on the manager being killed for money.......As someone said earlier it was Bannister Island off Belize.

To the "OP"...If that is where the beach break you are doing is done...It is reopened......

Thanks everyone...I was more concerned about not being able to lounge on a beach. I live in Chicago and am well aware that crimes happen everywhere and to not wander around by myself in a foreign country.

Thank you for your input and for alerting people who may not have known (myself included) about the homicide.

Read the post on the manager being killed for money.......As someone said earlier it was Bannister Island off Belize.

To the "OP"...If that is where the beach break you are doing is done...It is reopened......

Thanks for correcting me, DB. "Carzy" said nothing about Bannister Island, and the OP only said Belize.

Belize is far from being "safe." You are probably Okay on a tour, but I would definitely not go exploring on your own. We made that mistake the last time we were there, and made our way back to the ship real quick. The fence around the shopping area with guards at the exit are there for a reason. You can read about it here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1055.html

Belize is far from being "safe." You are probably Okay on a tour, but I would definitely not go exploring on your own. We made that mistake the last time we were there, and made our way back to the ship real quick. The fence around the shopping area with guards at the exit are there for a reason. You can read about it here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1055.html

I have walked around every time I have been in Belize outside the port. Never a problem.........;)

And yes the guards at the gates are there for a reason. Not to let unauthorized people "into" the port area......

My wife and I have walked the back streets of Belize City also. Beyond the obvious poverty there are things to see in the city. We never considered ourselves at risk either.

Yep...Have gone to see the bridge opend and love to walk over to the Smoky Mermaid for lunch....Killer lobster......

Keep in mind tour groups are now touring Iraq. So yes everyone has a different definition of dangerous. :eek:

Our nephew returned from his second group tour of Iraq just yesterday; god bless him. Hopefully these tours will become unnecessary in the near future.

I've never had a problem in Belize and that includes going outside of the "gate."

What happened on Bannister Island was certainly no random act, and occurred well outside of the times when tourists would have been there. They have since added armed security, although I think that is unnecessary. They also won't be leaving large sums of money on the island at night, which was plain stupid - perhaps they were trying to avoid telling the government how much they were actually making?

Archived