Safety in Belize?

BrookeLH2

I've never had a problem in Belize and that includes going outside of the "gate."

What happened on Bannister Island was certainly no random act, and occurred well outside of the times when tourists would have been there. They have since added armed security, although I think that is unnecessary. They also won't be leaving large sums of money on the island at night, which was plain stupid - perhaps they were trying to avoid telling the government how much they were actually making?

Just for fun I did a google on Bannister Island Belize....Want to buy an island ??????;)

Hey there! Don't know if this will help you or not, but I just returned Saturday from the Carnival Glory which did stop in Belize. Our beach break was cancelled. Our friends who were doing the snorkel beach break had the beach portion cancelled. That morning they cancelled the snorkel too due to weather. When I asked at the excursion desk why the beach was cancelled, I was told because there was a death at the beach. That was all the information I could find. So there is a good chance your beach break will not happen - you might want to seek alternatives before everyone else who is signed up figures this out and everything else is booked. We ended up just taking the tender to the ports to shop. We then added a jungle beach break is Costa Maya and that was TERRIFIC!!

Good luck!

I just read a review from someone who took the Carnival Legend about 2 weeks ago and they said that the beach portion of their beach break/snorkel adventure in Belize was canceled due to safety concerns on the beaches in Belize.

I will be on Carnival Legend in 3 weeks from today and we have booked the "Private Island Beach Break" (no snorkeling involved) and now am worried that it will be canceled. It was booked through Carnival, so I know we will be refunded if canceled, but....we're hoping it won't be! :o

Does anyone know about this issue or has anyone experienced a cancellation due to safety concerns? What are these safety concerns???

Thanks!!

Archived