Using Skype app on Iphone from Cruise ship wifi?

mjpohl

I will be going on the Fantasy on 5/11 and am trying to find a way to call back home that's affordable, the cell is $2.50 a minute. We have two days at see so I couldn't use a calling card like I can on land. So I have figured out a idea. Skype now has an Iphone app and if I purchase 60 minutes of WI-FI on the ship I could use the skype app to make calls to a land or cell line for $.02 a minute. This brings my per minute charges down from $2.50 a min to about $0.42 a min. Has anyone tried this and do you think it would work?

Thanks and as you can see I am a Cruise critic virgin!

I will be going on the Fantasy on 5/11 and am trying to find a way to call back home that's affordable, the cell is $2.50 a minute. We have two days at see so I couldn't use a calling card like I can on land. So I have figured out a idea. Skype now has an Iphone app and if I purchase 60 minutes of WI-FI on the ship I could use the skype app to make calls to a land or cell line for $.02 a minute. This brings my per minute charges down from $2.50 a min to about $0.42 a min. Has anyone tried this and do you think it would work?

It will not work. The wi fi is too slow on the ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You've come to the right place for answers, sadly, you won't like this answer.

You can't use Skype on the ship. The ports that Skype relies on are blocked preventing you from being able to use the service.

You might consider googling your ports of call to find WIFI hot spots or internet cafés. Most of them are amazingly inexpensive...

Hope this helps...

:)

Mach

• 4 months later...

Did the iphone app work?

Archived